Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM

9 posts, read 43,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu View Post
From the FInger Lakes area and living in the St. Pete area... we hate it here. We are constantly trying to figure out how to move back to upstate NY ANYWHERE
St. Pete isn't even as bad as everywhere south of it, but I feel your pain. I'm actually moving back to New York on the 26th, winter be damned.

Yeah the Southern Tier might be depressed, but I've got acreage up there and I'd rather be working a McJob there than doing the same down here because I simply miss the seasons and being able to actually do things outdoors for more than 3 months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM

177 posts, read 314,085 times
I moved to Oklahoma when I was younger and single. Honestly, I liked it just fine until I got married and later had my son. An inexpensive cost of living was nice pre-children, but now I see what we're missing because of our lower taxes. And there's not much to do here at all. I miss seasons. I don't know what you would call what happens here. Right before Christmas it was 71 and went down to 23 the following night. It goes up to 90+ starting in May very often and I can't take the heat. I'm not going to get into all of what I dislike because I don't want to sound like I'm bashing, but I will be very happy to move back up north. I will say that I really hope that at some point people in this area will learn to value getting their kids an appropriate education. I think that is really what has horrified me the most.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandthee View Post
Southerndiver .. you seem to think that only places with a high black population have high crime. You are very mistaken. There is high crime everywhere places that have black and places that are only white. And, FYI they have blacks in upstate NY.

I just happened to be on this post because I was considering relocating to the south and not from the north but from the west. I also have no problem with anyones race. I do see however from post like yours that 'yes' there is a great deal of racism in the south.
In the South, it is indeed the black areas that have the most crime, you'd have to be extremely naive not to see it. I live in a town of 8,000 people (about 50/50 black/white), I have a friend who is a local police officer and he tells me that many nights every single 911 call is in the black neighborhoods, I also hear this myself on my police scanner.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 AM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
In the South, it is indeed the black areas that have the most crime, you'd have to be extremely naive not to see it. I live in a town of 8,000 people (about 50/50 black/white), I have a friend who is a local police officer and he tells me that many nights every single 911 call is in the black neighborhoods, I also hear this myself on my police scanner.
It can vary, depending upon the state, as I believe that Southern Whites might currently or at one time had a higher crime rate than Black Northerners. As a region the South does have the highest crime rate and the Northeast has the lowest.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
You would probably find that economics or lack there of drive the crime rates more than race....

Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Ridiculous. I lived in New York for 28 years in good and not so good neighborhoods. I never had a problem. We have been robbed no less than five times since I have been in Oklahoma. The last three times we were robbed we had a family across the street that invited the wrong element to parties at their home. They were white and so were all of their guests. We have never had a problem again since they left, and we have three black families in our neighborhood. In fact, the biggest disturbances in our neighborhood have also been caused by white people.

If you make people live like animals, they will behave as such. It's really quite simple.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post
Ridiculous. I lived in New York for 28 years in good and not so good neighborhoods. I never had a problem. We have been robbed no less than five times since I have been in Oklahoma. The last three times we were robbed we had a family across the street that invited the wrong element to parties at their home. They were white and so were all of their guests. We have never had a problem again since they left, and we have three black families in our neighborhood. In fact, the biggest disturbances in our neighborhood have also been caused by white people.

If you make people live like animals, they will behave as such. It's really quite simple.

Whole lot of white trash in Oklahoma.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Whole lot of white trash in Oklahoma.
Keep it classy... there are some decent people here but much of the population is undereducated, and the local government prefers it that way.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Ducks View Post
Keep it classy... there are some decent people here but much of the population is undereducated, and the local government prefers it that way.
My sister lives in McAlester, if there is a bigger white trash dump in the US I haven't seen it. That aside, I'm also a UT grad so the chances of me ever saying anything nice about Oklahoma are slim & none

Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Glad to see this didn't degrade into a redneck or south bashing thread. Not being able to deal with hot humid summers is a very valid reason for moving back to NY. My wife and I would never move to cold climates due to our physical conditions which are made more painful in the cold. We're both born and raised in the Lafayette, Louisiana area. Cajun food is good and can be healthy if small modifications to traditional receipes are made. Cajun music is not too good for listening to but it is a good dance music and makes for a fun time. During certain times of the year, festivals abound across the Acadiana area. We do have museums, but no where near as big or numerous as what's available in NYC. We do have a theater that puts on broadway type shows, but they do so infrequently. We're majority Catholic but aren't really serious about it like some Evangelist. Many here served in the military, either in active duty or the National Guard. Some of the best artwork is inside our Catholic churches.

That said, there are negatives to living here. Though no snow storms, we live with the risk of hurricanes. If you move here, ask natives how to prepare for hurricanes,...we're glad to help our neighbors no matter where they're from. If we do have a real cold spell, frozen pipes is a possibility due to poor preparation for such infrequent cold temperatures. I live in a mobile home and I prepared my pipes for such cold spells and haven't had a frozen pipe problem in close to 10 years. We do have corrupt city/state politicians but what state doesn't. I too hate the way our city's roads are laid out. The reasons why are varied including historical landmarks, waterways, and political favors. Some parts of the area are high crime, doesn't every city have high crime poverty areas? Rural areas have both good and bad people. Rural doesn't mean nice friendly Mayberry type people but it also doesn't mean redneck racist idiots. You get some of both and some in between. Our summers are hot and humid with swarms of mosquitoes. Our city and area towns spray for mosquitoes in the spring and summer to keep their numbers down. And my biggest complaint about living here is the high social acceptance of alcohol drinking. Some here seem to look for an excuse to get drunk. The acceptance is so bad that it is legal in our state to have drive thru daiquri huts. I use to drink up until 1995 and am now watching one of my uncles literally drinking himself to death.

If you decide to try moving here, keep the above in mind. If you'd like to come to visit, there's plenty to do besides eat and drink. If you enjoy nature photography, the swamps have some great beauty including birds, flowers, and moss covered cyprus trees. Avery Island is home to a beautiful bird santuary and the Tabasco company. Our festivals are all a place of food, music, and dancing. Don't be surprised at the large number of Mexican and Asian people and restaurants here in Cajun country. We have a bus service but only within the actual city of Lafayette and it's night hours is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York