Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times

Advertisements

We've been wanting to move out of NYS for sometime-a elderly parent situation is preventing us from doing so now. Both of us are out of work and jobs are looking mighty slim-along with low balling from potential employers when we do go to interviews-yesterday I was offered $8 a hour as a medical biller/coder and I have the certifications to boot. My 20 year old makes more as a waitress with no college degree or experiences other than waitress. It's sad around the Hudson Valley.

Now I agree-do your homework before you move somewhere. We've been researching the Myrtle Beach/Pawley's Island/Charleston areas now for 12 years of vacationing there. We camp so we do use a bit more of what the locals use than I'd say a tourist in a hotel would. We've gone to open houses to ask questions about electric/gas/phone/taxes/garbage/services. We have seen what jobs are more likely available to us-Hubby switched careers from concrete dispatcher for 21 years to HVAC-R-yet no jobs are here for either. I have a degree in hospitality and tourism/medical billing&coding. So we'd do ok with jobs there(hubby ended up starting his own LLC-air duct cleaning). And being a tourist area-my degree works well there. I suggest to anyone interested in relocating-rent the first year. That way you find a place near where you think you like. Get the feel of it. If it's not what your looking for-try another area and your not having to sell a home. Talk to all the locals you can-ask tons of questions-most people are pretty open to letting you know the scoops on things. Go open minded-you aren't moving to a area to be "like NY". It's to move to a spot because you like what you've experienced in terms of the people, amenities, jobs and housing costs. And one piece here too-Don't EVER say-well in NY we do it like this-you've relocated-do as the locals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 20,051 times
You might as well stay up North because the south is getting worse than the North thanks to so many people that moved there. Everything is over-crowded. Roads,stores,restaurants,schools,etc.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
...... Now I agree-do your homework before you move somewhere. We've been researching the Myrtle Beach/Pawley's Island/Charleston areas now for 12 years of vacationing there. We camp so we do use a bit more of what the locals use than I'd say a tourist in a hotel would. We've gone to open houses to ask questions about electric/gas/phone/taxes/ garbage/services. We have seen what jobs are more likely available to us..... I suggest to anyone interested in relocating-rent the first year. That way you find a place near where you think you like. Get the feel of it. If it's not what your looking for-try another area and your not having to sell a home. Talk to all the locals you can-ask tons of questions-most people are pretty open to letting you know the scoops on things. Go open minded-you aren't moving to a area to be "like NY". It's to move to a spot because you like what you've experienced in terms of the people, amenities, jobs and housing costs. And one piece here too-Don't EVER say-well in NY we do it like this-you've relocated-do as the locals do.
Very sound advice!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Currently live in tampa. I found it to be more expensive and really sh***y compared to upstate ny.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Great thread! My wife and I moved to VA from NYS a few years ago and loved it for the first few years. Richmond, VA is a very nice city. However, after a few years, we miss the Italian culture and the more dense cities. When you move south, you realize that the cities are built much differently. Dense, vibrant cities with solid public transportation like up north are not necessarily the norm in this country. We're trying to move to Philly now, where we expect we'll be for quite some time.

I also feel that things move slowly down here (no surprise), which I liked at first, but the northerner in me is now revolting and wanting people to speed up :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I also feel that things move slowly down here (no surprise), which I liked at first, but the northerner in me is now revolting and wanting people to speed up :-)
Thats exactly how I felt about Texas, the slower pace was nice at first but eventually it just turned into slow people always getting in my way when I'm in a hurry

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Currently live in tampa. I found it to be more expensive and really sh***y compared to upstate ny.
Shh! Don't say that, as people think that it's all about taxes. People seem to forget that there are other costs that can add up in other areas.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Shh! Don't say that, as people think that it's all about taxes. People seem to forget that there are other costs that can add up in other areas.
Yes and as I understand from people who headed south, they are being hit with incidental taxes on everything, which adds up to a lot in the end....we have to face the music in this country, there will be no "low tax area" very soon....just different ways of paying the same bottom line.....

Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Yes and as I understand from people who headed south, they are being hit with incidental taxes on everything, which adds up to a lot in the end....we have to face the music in this country, there will be no "low tax area" very soon....just different ways of paying the same bottom line.....
I have heard from several friends who said it is not cheaper to live in the south than NY; in fact one said it cost more in the south. No matter where you move, they get you one way or the other.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM

69 posts, read 149,187 times
I'm from VA Beach and you can swim just about anywhere. We have lakes, bays, beaches etc. Is it so hot that you can't go outside in the summer...yes and no. According to my research our humidity levels are similiar to the NE. I personally hate the humidity here and will stay inside vs going out when it is particularly bad, but that isn't too often. However, as much as I have lived in humidity, Georgia and Lousiana were disgusting hot compared to VA...like hard to breathe. Since we have an influx of transient/military, there is rarely a problem accepting people. A lot of people from NY seem to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York