U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM

3,246 posts, read 2,422,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have heard from several friends who said it is not cheaper to live in the south than NY; in fact one said it cost more in the south. No matter where you move, they get you one way or the other.
It depends where in NY you lived and where in the South you live. Compared to where I lived in NY and where I live now in SC, I'm saving over $5,000 a year in property taxes. Groceries and gas are far cheaper here. My utilities are also significantly less. My insurance is also less here. I can't think of anything that costs more here compared to where I lived in NY. Sales tax is even less. My last new car I paid over $2600 in sales tax. My new vehicle I'm buying next month I am capped at $300 in sales tax. Big difference!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-10-2010, 07:01 AM

80 posts, read 147,464 times
We moved to Raleigh, NC from Long Island, NY and we loved it at first but the last 2 years have really turned me sour on living down here. (we have been here 4 yrs.) Yes it gets hot in the N.E. with similar humidity levels but this year in Raleigh it has been in the mid-90's since about mid May. I don't think we have had more than 7 days under 90 degrees since then. Our 7 day forecast today shows we will get to 100 for the next 3 days and then cool off to the low 90's. When it gets hot up north (this hot) it usually rarely lasts more than a week at a time. We have been locked in the house down here in summer just like we were up there in the winter. That is probably only a small part of why people are moving back, I know we are going to move back, we gave up too much to move down here.

Unread 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,681,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It depends where in NY you lived and where in the South you live. Compared to where I lived in NY and where I live now in SC, I'm saving over $5,000 a year in property taxes. Groceries and gas are far cheaper here. My utilities are also significantly less. My insurance is also less here. I can't think of anything that costs more here compared to where I lived in NY. Sales tax is even less. My last new car I paid over $2600 in sales tax. My new vehicle I'm buying next month I am capped at $300 in sales tax. Big difference!

South Carolina is definitely cheap. I have a cousin that has lived in Charleston for the last 3.5 years & she seems to love it. Of course the trade off for the cheap living in South Carolina is that the public schools system is among the worst in the nation & the crime rate is consistently among the highest. If you do not have school age children I guess the school system is of little concern but as a parent of 2 elementary school age children its worth the extra taxes to send my kids to a suburban school in New York State that ranks as good as (if not better than) the majority of private schools in the south.

Last edited by jblake78728; 08-10-2010 at 09:00 AM..

Unread 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 3 days ago)

27,204 posts, read 30,661,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do they have a vehicle tax there in SC? Do they have HOA fees there?

Unread 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 3 days ago)

27,204 posts, read 30,661,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
South Carolina is definitely cheap. I have a cousin that has lived in Charleston for the last 3.5 years & she seems to love it. Of course the trade off for the cheap living in South Carolina is that the public schools system is among the worst in the nation & the crime rate is consistently among the highest. If you do not have school age children I guess the school system is of little concern but as a parent of 2 elementary school age children its worth the extra taxes to send my kids to a suburban school in New York state that ranks as good (if not better than) the majority of private schools in the south.
True, as my mother is originally from SC and the part of the state were she is from near Myrtle Beach does have issues with domestics and it is a state known for being one of the most violent. A lot of people in the Syracuse area have roots in SC and will tell you the same thing. North Charleston is no joke in that regard.

Schools can vary down there, but generally, they are known for being ranked lower than most states.

It does seem like Upstate SC has a better reputation than the Lowcountry. I guess the immediate Myrtle Beach area, as well as much of the Charleston area are the exceptions in the Lowcountry part of the state. Columbia has come along as well.

Unread 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM

3,246 posts, read 2,422,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do they have a vehicle tax there in SC? Do they have HOA fees there?
Yes we have a vehicle tax. The tax on my vehicle is not much less than my registration was in NY.

There are HOA fees in every state. You only have them if you pick a development that has an HOA. There's plenty of places to live without them.

Unread 08-10-2010, 01:54 PM

654 posts, read 1,032,523 times
Thumbs up Watertown to Orlando and back permanently to Syracuse

I lived in Watertown, NY for some time; I grew up in a small town 25 miles from H2Otown. Thought I didn't like Watertown's winter weather. I used to take a ten day vacation twice a year in Florida during different months over several years. I loved the beaches, the amusement parks, and other tourist attractions. I finally thought I'd like to move permanently to Florida. Florida is the ONLY state I would have considered. I chose Casselberry/Longwood area of metro Orlando. When I arrived in Orlando it was Autumn-October. I thought I had found nirvana. The weather was beautiful=October, November, December, January, a little cooler in February, nice March, beautiful April. Then came May; getting a bit warm/hot! The Summer months=HOT!! Thank goodness for air conditioned buildings & cars! I met a lot of nice neighbors where I lived; everyone was formerly from a different state--Virginia, the Carolinas, Missouri, Michigan, Ohio, etc. Everyone was pleasant--all relocated people. When I would go out to night clubs/dance clubs I'd meet people from all over the country. At times I'd meet someone or individuals who I initially thought, "Gee, this is a nice person who might become a good new platonic friend". Then we'd talk about where we lived. I would say I'm from Orlando suburbs and the other person would say they were on vacation from Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois or wherever. How disappointing. This new acquaintance wouldn't be around long enough to become a possible friend. I guess that I'm NOT a transient type person=I like permanency, permanent real friends, and permanent home. This happened to me over and over=temporary visiting vacationers/not friends; strike one for living in Florida. Yes, over time I probably would have met some nice people as friends=who knows?? Then, after a while, the beaches & visitor attractions became mundane/less interesting; strike two for Florida. The HEAT/staying indoors for the hot humid Summer, poisonous snakes, bugs, heavy traffic, "sameness" all the time, tornadoes, no mountains, no cool/cold breezes as hot weather relief, and more; strike three for Florida. Florida is okay but moreso as a Winter vacation for me. Floridians, don't be mad at me=I like Florida.

At a certain point I realized that the Winters in NY State weren't as bad as I thought they were. I realized that I missed SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE NORTHEAST. Among those were: Boston, Cape Cod, the Maine rocky ocean coast, Boothbay Harbor, Ogunquit, Acadia Nat'l Park, visit/tour/sightsee the quaint little villages sprinkled among the numerous valleys of Vermont, Toronto, Philadelphia, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, the Adirondack Mtns., hiking in the mountains or along a lake/stream, driving to the top of Whiteface Mtn. to overlook/see the view of the lakes and other mountains surrounding Whiteface, Lake Placid, Old Forge, Blue Mtn. Lake area, the beautiful Finger Lakes of Upstate NY, the Thousand Islands & St. Lawrence River, Alexandria Bay, Cooperstown NY & the Baseball Hall Of Fame, Howe Caverns, northern beaches, various different foods, Croghan Bologna, Hoffman hot dogs, Steigerwald/Liehs hot dogs/sausages, Gianelli sausage, cheese curds bought directly from a milk/cheese factory, Lake George, Old Sturbridge Village, Mystic Seaport, Genesee Country Village, great highway systems, Autumn foliage, Salmon fishing in the Salmon River/Pulaski NY, cool refreshing breezes, relief from incessant HEAT, making Maple syrup, the beautiful gently rolling land with picturesque farms, riding bikes or walking along country rural roads, museums, farmers markets along country roads & in the city, the vineyards/homemade craftsman furniture/antiques for sale, gentle snowfall, sitting in the livingroom in front of a crackling/blazing fireplace fire making popcorn/warmed apple cider/toasted marshmallos watching the snow fall outside the window, going to orchards to buy apples/peaches/pears/cherries/fruit and to farms to buy tomatoes/cabbage/corn/beans/squash/pumpkins/veggies directly from the farmers, and SO MUCH MORE. Individually these things may not seem like so much, but together they add up to a part of the QUALITY OF LIFE/LIVING for me.

I made the decision to return back to Upstate New York and get a job/settle in one of the larger Upstate cities=Syracuse, Albany/Capital District, Rochester or Buffalo. I returned Upstate NY and over time I applied for various jobs. I was hired for a purchasing department at a large company out in a rural village; I accepted that job. One week later I was offered another job at $50 more per week by a Syracuse employer so I took the Syracuse job instead because I preferred a larger city atmosphere. I've lived in the Syracuse Suburbs for many years every since that time and I love it.

Everyone has to choose what living situation is best/most enjoyable/satifying for them. I'm happy in Syracuse. I do wish that metro Syracuse had more population; maybe about 1,500,000 people--a little larger than Buffalo. I feel that size city offers additional qualities that a smaller city can't provide. But, the quality-of-life aspects that metro Syracuse offers is fine with me.

Unread 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,880,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Everyone has to choose what living situation is best/most enjoyable/satifying for them. .
Well said! I read these comments and people bemoan where they currently are/were in the south. Fine it didn't work you can move back, no problem. But what made you leave? If it was work then hopefully the job situation in NY has improved for you. If it was taxes, cost of living then you are probably out of luck from what I read they continue a strangle hold on a working person. The weather is what it is.

Maybe moving out of NY has allowed you to truly look at yourself and realize what is important to you. Pick whats important and go for it. If you stay down south try to accept why your there and accept that things will be different from what you choose to remember.....

Unread 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,662,159 times
My older daughter moved to Florida where we are to make a new start and be near us. She lasted 4 months. I told her so. When she was a baby, she would walk around while still in diapers in NY summers saying, "Hot, Hot, Hot". She couldn't take the heat and humidity. Even her SO, who has family here, didn't want to move to Florida. My daughter was better off financially in Florida, but as they say money cannot buy everything. I recently asked her if she regrets moving back and she firmly said, NO, despite better poorer.

I feel the same way. NY has so much to offer, and not all of it costs money; like looking at the Fall leaves, smelling wood burning fireplaces, the feel of snow on your face, etc. I would rather be poorer, as my daughter has said.

Unread 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM

262 posts, read 329,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post

At a certain point I realized that the Winters in NY State weren't as bad as I thought they were. I realized that I missed SO MANY THINGS ABOUT THE NORTHEAST. Among those were: Boston, Cape Cod, the Maine rocky ocean coast, Boothbay Harbor, Ogunquit, Acadia Nat'l Park, visit/tour/sightsee the quaint little villages sprinkled among the numerous valleys of Vermont, Toronto, Philadelphia, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, the Adirondack Mtns., hiking in the mountains or along a lake/stream, driving to the top of Whiteface Mtn. to overlook/see the view of the lakes and other mountains surrounding Whiteface, Lake Placid, Old Forge, Blue Mtn. Lake area, the beautiful Finger Lakes of Upstate NY, the Thousand Islands & St. Lawrence River, Alexandria Bay, Cooperstown NY & ...
Couldn't have said it better myself. You hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York