Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 AM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
If you're trying to say that when comparing the two regions, it's not a wash, I would agree with that. The taxes paid in Northern states on a variety of things from gas, groceries, income, property, and sales still vastly exceed anything anyone can muster from HOAs and A/C bills.
Again, I already posted a COL comparison that essentially showed a wash for similar areas, with the Upstate community being a little bit less. We've had posters that have lived in both that have expressed the same sentiments. Keep in mind that home prices are higher and housing costs make up the biggest chunk in plurality. Governments are going to get their money one way or another, including hidden fees that aren't upfront. Sadly, VintageSunlight hasn't proved anything, given the examples given on both sides.

Also, like rubygreta mentioned, it is about the jobs, not the COL, which isn't different at all.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-25-2014 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Buffalo couple -

Husband: Honey, we're moving to Charlotte. I got a new job with the same salary. We're selling the house. Start packing.

Wife: So why are we moving if you got the same salary.

Husband: Because some poster named VintageSunlight on City Data said we can get the same house and save $400/month.

Wife: But all our friends and family are in Buffalo. We don't know anyone in Charlotte.

Husband: Doesn't matter. We can save $400/month.

Wife: But are the schools as good? Is the neighborhood convenient to shopping and downtown? I hear Charlotte has much worse traffic than Buffalo.

Husband: Doesn't matter. We can save $400/month.

Wife: Are you out of your mind?

Husband: No. According to VintageSunlight, the $400/month is the primary reason why people move from Buffalo to Charlotte, not because they get higher paying jobs. So who cares about the other stuff. And Buffalonians are fleeing by the thousands. We'll make new friends. And we'll visit our parents on Thanksgiving.

Wife: YOU ARE NUTS!!
Great post, and its a fun story about fictional people, but I never, ever said that people should move out of Buffalo. You are creating a story out of thin air about how you think I feel. If you recall, all I said was that Charlotte is cheaper than Buffalo. That's all I said. And I backed that up with real life homes that are currently for sale. I didn't create any fictional story about people moving to Charlotte or uprooting themselves because I said so. Narrow-minded stories like this also serve to disregard other people in the population- single people, divorcees, widows, students, retirees, small business owners, etc. Its a very myopic worldview that you have.

If I was given a choice of two jobs, both indoor jobs, for the same pay (lets say $50k), and you told me that one job was in Charlotte and the other was in Buffalo, I would choose the one in Buffalo. I guess that goes against what you think I believe, doesn't it? The reason why is because I value where my roots are (NY), I like NY culture, I'm Italian, I like lakes and Northern forests, I hate traffic, and I like being closer to family, among other reasons too.

However, I wouldn't fool myself into thinking it is a cheaper choice, because its not. I'd be looking at the quality of homes in Charlotte and thinking about those low taxes and I'd be fully understanding that I'm giving that up for other things that are important to me. I'd buy the 1970's house and pay the $6k a year in taxes and I'd grimace whenever I wrote that check. So, I suggest that you don't make assumptions about people and their personal beliefs.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, I already posted a COL comparison that essentially showed a wash for similar areas, with the Upstate community being a little bit less. We've had posters that have lived in both that have expressed the same sentiments. Keep in mind that home prices are higher and housing costs make up the biggest chunk in plurality. Sadly, VintageSunlight hasn't proved anything, given the examples given on both sides.

Also, like rubygreta mentioned, it is about the jobs, not the COL, which isn't different at all.
Yeah, I've lived in both places: first hand knowledge.

HOA fees for me are $250/year. Vehicle property tax for both cares is about $400 and dropping each year. Housing costs are lower in general in the South (not by the cost, however) and paying $2.50-$3.15/gallon for gas adds up. Groceries have no tax. You're both cherry-picking data for your results. The trick is to poll areas in each region with the same cost/standard of living and then compare housing costs. But even then, that's just housing.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:24 AM

SC is different versus NC, which was in question. Regions have variation in terms of overall COL.

Also, that is why I try to use like communities in relation to the area.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Again, I already posted a COL comparison that essentially showed a wash for similar areas, with the Upstate community being a little bit less. We've had posters that have lived in both that have expressed the same sentiments. Keep in mind that home prices are higher and housing costs make up the biggest chunk in plurality. Governments are going to get their money one way or another, including hidden fees that aren't upfront. Sadly, VintageSunlight hasn't proved anything, given the examples given on both sides.

I can't stress this enough: Home prices in the South are not higher when you factor in property taxes. Home prices are simply NOT higher when you factor in property taxes. What is so hard to understand about that?

Still, here is a CNN/Money cost of living calculator that shows housing in Charlotte to be 25% less than in Buffalo. Apparently, this is all that you care about, cost of living calculators, and this one has Charlotte both 25% cheaper in housing and also cheaper OVERALL:

Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

All you have to do is punch in moving from Buffalo to Charlotte, and it will show that you'd actually save 25% in housing by moving to Charlotte. By your own admission, housing is people's main expense, so 25% is quite a bit.

I'll await your response on how this particular COL calculator is not accurate because Buffalo has nicer neighborhoods and no HOA's.

This will be construed by ruby greta as my encouraging people to move to Charlotte and the breaking up of husbands and wives due to this new information.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about anything being a wash, but only said what I said to be included in the property costs, if necessary. With the much higher median home price, it comes out to costing more even with the property taxes up here, many times. This isn't from me, but just look at the general information for specific communities and we're talking about Upstate NY.

Also, you can get Basic STAR without an age restriction, while Enhanced STAR is for those 65 and older. HOA's, while not universal, are more common in many Southern states versus up here, in comparison. STAR

Here's information for Erie County: STAR Exemption Certification System - Erie County 2013-2014 School Levy Year

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...C_RATE2014.pdf

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...ge%20Rates.pdf

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...ol%20Rates.pdf

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...Comparison.pdf
And I pay a total tax obligation of $8.70 per $1000 assessed value, average tax burden in Erie County communities ( Real Property Tax Services ) is how much????

Lets see for the Village of Alden

The total tax obligation on a $150k home would be $5191.70 with Basic Star, really make a difference
Ref: http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...Comparison.pdf

If the same home costs $250k here seeing many post our home costs are higher my taxes would be $2175.00 without any kind of STAR program.

Yeah really a wash...

Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And I pay a total tax obligation of $8.70 per $1000 assessed value, average tax burden in Erie County communities ( Real Property Tax Services ) is how much????

Lets see for the Village of Alden

The total tax obligation on a $150k home would be $5191.70 with Basic Star, really make a difference
Ref: http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...Comparison.pdf

If the same home costs $250k here seeing many post our home costs are higher my taxes would be $2175.00 without any kind of STAR program.

Yeah really a wash...
Villages tend to have higher taxes and considering that you are a Veteran, you also get the Veterans Tax Exemption. So, you have to consider that as well.

Also, is the current community that you live in similar to the village of Alden? Would the house automatically be for 150k? Homes in the village will run the gamut like this list shows: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Why not East Aurora, which is actually a little more affluent too? Median home sale price in Henrico County was 189,000 in January. I don't know what it is for your specific community, but that gives some idea of what it is in comparison. I guess paying 100,000 more for a home in lower. With all of this said, I believe that it is still close.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-25-2014 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Villages tend to have higher taxes and considering that you are a Veteran, you also get the Veterans Tax Exemption. So, you have to consider that as well.

Also, is the current community that you live in similar to the village of Alden? Would the house automatically be for 150k? Homes in the village will run the gamut like this list shows: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Why not East Aurora, which is actually a little more affluent too? Median home sale price in Henrico County was 189,000 in January. I don't know what it is for your specific community, but that gives some idea of what it is in comparison. I guess paying 100,000 more for a home in lower. With all of this said, I believe that it is still close.
I did not pick any specific home, I simply used a home value posted as an example on my reference from Erie County. In looking at the spread sheet the same $150,000 home has a tax obligation range of @$2500 in Wales/Holland SD all the way up to $7500+ in the Village of Sloan/Sloan SD.

These are Erie Counties Figures not mine.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I did not pick any specific home, I simply used a home value posted as an example on my reference from Erie County. In looking at the spread sheet the same $150,000 home has a tax obligation range of @$2500 in Wales/Holland SD all the way up to $7500+ in the Village of Sloan/Sloan SD.

These are Erie Counties Figures not mine.
I know, but my point was that for you, those numbers would be different and that they vary. That isn't any different other areas where you can have a range within the same town/area or even street. here is some Mecklenburg County NC information: http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/coun...3TaxRates.aspx

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-25-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Let's call a spade a spade,

There is no way in hell Charlotte or any southern metro is cheaper than Western New York.

The reason why some people come on here to BS about the "great" south is because they do not like New York politics.

Damn the liberals and Cuomo for their committment to public education and damn those Northern winters. The schools and snow removal just make the property taxes too high!!!!

I've heard it all before. Go ahead and move South.. you won't be missed. Chances are you didn't fit in here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York