Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 04:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey1151 View Post
Because the south is boring (Except Florida) the south has basically nothing but 7-11's and Walgreens!
Haha what?

Maybe in Hampton Roads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,313 times
My family and I were thinking of moving south from Wisconsin, this has me worried. I have little kids 7, 10 and 1 and I want them to be treated kindly as I have taught them. I don't like all this hatred and bad talk. Every time I have gone to TN, SC and NC, it feels warm and loving and that is what I want for my family.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetblonde1982 View Post
My family and I were thinking of moving south from Wisconsin, this has me worried. I have little kids 7, 10 and 1 and I want them to be treated kindly as I have taught them. I don't like all this hatred and bad talk. Every time I have gone to TN, SC and NC, it feels warm and loving and that is what I want for my family.
It is. Just go to the right places. Why are you thinking about leaving Wisconsin?

Old 09-18-2014, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
I live in VA...& plan to relocate back to NYC in a couple weeks! Yippy!! I've been here for Almost 2 yrs to long!... My kids are even pumped to move back.

growing up in ny for some reason where always told how great the south is to raise a family,great family functions,Low rent,You can Drive Etc. Man oh man was I in for a rude Awakening!..This falsified fact has gotta stop! Lol Not even a month after moving to Richmond I wanted to leave..everytime id speak I had to hear "where youuu fruuum,Ny or Nj?" (Oh thats my southern accent btw) psssh!.. Lol,I'd reply Ny and that's when the attitudes would noticeably change..WEIRD! These ppl speak then don't speak,you'll never really make any new friends..not here! Everyone is clicky & will not invite or allow any northerners around,..Im a fairly Attractive woman,never had any problems dating,flirting or w/e..Since I've been here I've yet to be in the company of a male WEIRD!..

Being from NYC I came across ppl of all races & Accents & yet have I ever asked questions like where you from,do you like ny or when you goin back,Thats rude..These ppl are rude as heck! If Id a question, sometimes I Would get a Nasty reply or none at all..(And I'm thinking and y'all believe New Yorkers are rude) smh,No Matter how polite I was I just would get attitude and slick questions like "How you like it so far? & when you goin back"? Even my physician said this remark..im thinking ok,so now where not even being professional..now get a load of this..last week I put in a two week notice at my job (trying to be courteous) Trying to give a heads up about my move so I won't leave anyone high and dry..i did the right thing right?..no,..All week my manager has been making little remarks about me going back up north..he called me a traitor to the confederacy (which left me confused in the face) lol then id notice all my other co workers would roll there eyes and wouldn't speak when I spoke.. Now I consider myself to be a hard worker but for some odd reason my manager keeps finding thing "Wrong" all of a sudden..But w/e..Im so irritated by these ppl I'm over it!..

Southern hospitality my A**!! Its visibly only given to fellow southerners so don't think you'll get that love coming from up North..The School system sucks! Your kid won't learn half of what they need to know unless there in a county..When my kids 1st got here they knew way more then the other kids & were shocked how far behind these kids were.. being here over a yr is like a long summer vacation (You know,when you start to forget some basic stuff )But Its Affecting My kids in the worse way..There education is beginning to decline smh Im noticing my son is starting to fail in math (one of his strong points) My daughter comes home telling me about all the drugs these kids are doin in school..got me looking like damn..we coulda stayed in NY for all that..Im in hopes of better but got worse...

These ppl are hella nosy! Very gossipy And cant wait to talk smack..Its so sketchy..Hearing how your house and car can be broken into is ridiculous! & its a Real Big Deal Here,..Smh,Ppl still do that???? Puhaha! The only reason I stayed this long is because I wanted to try giving it a chance relocating & rearranging my entire life was alot of work so of course id try my best to stick it out..but living here has made me question myself over & over,Can you really see your self spending the rest of your life unhappy here? Never making gd friends? Dating? Etc. Hell your only 35 Not 85!.lol..I Found Myself continuously praying it would get better (Haven't prayed this much in my life btw).. Dont get me wrong,Nyc isnt perfect but id rather deal with the rat race any day before dealing with this twilight zone.. Ok I'm done ranting lol but I had to vent,..I Will not respond to any southerners negative feed back!!.. I've Dealt with you ppl long enough already..
#CountDown
������������ DEUCES'!! ✌

Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Good Bye, reading your post my first impression is you are living on Hull Street which would explain many of your experiences. I can't answer why I have never seen most of what you posted and I have been in the Richmond area 15+ years. Just remember as you head back to somewhere in NYC that much of what you posted will be the same. Your children may start experiencing problems in school subjects, drugs will be present and the reason you chose to leave is probably still there. I suppose the myth of Southern Hospitality is as ingrained as the myth that New Yorkers are so open towards cultural diversity of course how many people move south thinking Gone With the Wind is factual and the south is still going through reconstruction....

So best of luck and now you will be able to tell all your worldly friends how backwards it is down here.

Bless you...

Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 PM

355 posts, read 390,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Good Bye, reading your post my first impression is you are living on Hull Street which would explain many of your experiences. I can't answer why I have never seen most of what you posted and I have been in the Richmond area 15+ years. Just remember as you head back to somewhere in NYC that much of what you posted will be the same. Your children may start experiencing problems in school subjects, drugs will be present and the reason you chose to leave is probably still there. I suppose the myth of Southern Hospitality is as ingrained as the myth that New Yorkers are so open towards cultural diversity of course how many people move south thinking Gone With the Wind is factual and the south is still going through reconstruction....

So best of luck and now you will be able to tell all your worldly friends how backwards it is down here.

Bless you...
Love It!!!!!!! So true. Myth -New yorker are so open towards cultural diversity.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
Default Great Place to Live

I live in Johnson City , New York, and it is a great place to live, raise a family, or retire to. The area (Johnson City, Binghamton, Endicott, and Vestal) has about 2000,00 people. The streets are safe, the schools are good, you can get anywhere in under 15 minutes, you can see quality professional sports (hockey, tennis, golf, baseball, etc.) at a fraction of the big city price, and the house prices are among the lowest in the nation. The people are solid and
friendly, and the countryside is beautiful even in the winter. I have lived in the South and the Midwest, and I have never regretted moving back over 25 years ago.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
My cousin is an engineer who lives in Texas and he said you would be surprised how many people from all across the country move down there because of they heard about the job opportunities. But then when they get there the only jobs they can find are part time low wage crap, so they end up going back home

Old 12-21-2014, 08:13 PM

18 posts, read 34,883 times
Because you move down there because of the warm weather and nicer apartments for less money (depending on where you move to). Then you realize the culture shock is too much, you miss everything about where you came from who cares if it's cold half of america deals with it and you hightail it out as fast as you can when your lease is up. That's my story

Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela80 View Post
Because you move down there because of the warm weather and nicer apartments for less money (depending on where you move to). Then you realize the culture shock is too much, you miss everything about where you came from who cares if it's cold half of america deals with it and you hightail it out as fast as you can when your lease is up. That's my story
Same here...spent 2 years down in Florida and couldn't wait to get back to NY. We are back for 6 months and so glad to be back - even with the snow and cold weather!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York