Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 AM

10 posts, read 26,006 times

Advertisements

Hi to anyone who reads this.

My wife and I live in Sherburne and are considering a move to the Watertown area, not necessarily downtown.
I was born and raised in the suburbs of Baltimore, MD and moved here 6yrs ago.
My wife grew up on a dairy farm in Gilbertsville.
We both love the country life, but want a better job market than down here. There is virtually no choice in this area unless you drive 45min to Utica or 1hr to Syracuse or Binghamton.
Neither of us want to be around a big city like Syracuse, plus Utica and Binghamton are too city-like for us too.
Watertown seems much more laid back and easy-going plus they seem to have a very nice job market; the location also intrigues us.
Housing and rent seem reasonable and are generally cheaper than the Sherburne/Norwich area; property taxes are also cheaper in Watertown.
My wife and I aren't very outgoing so a lively area with lots to do is not important to us.
One of my biggest concerns is the summer climate in Watertown.
I know what to expect in the winter, but what are temps like in the summer? Does it get very humid, being that close to the lake?
We both have a very low heat tollerance, but humidity is my biggest concern. There's not very much of it here, hence why I like this area.
I suffered several cases of heat exhaustion and almost heat stroke living in MD. Spring and summer there is horrible. 100*+ days and humidity over 70%; especially worse after a thunderstorm.

Well, anyway, I would appreciate any help on this subject, if possible.

Thanks a lot, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b16honda View Post
Hi to anyone who reads this.

My wife and I live in Sherburne and are considering a move to the Watertown area, not necessarily downtown.
I was born and raised in the suburbs of Baltimore, MD and moved here 6yrs ago.
My wife grew up on a dairy farm in Gilbertsville.
We both love the country life, but want a better job market than down here. There is virtually no choice in this area unless you drive 45min to Utica or 1hr to Syracuse or Binghamton.
Neither of us want to be around a big city like Syracuse, plus Utica and Binghamton are too city-like for us too.
Watertown seems much more laid back and easy-going plus they seem to have a very nice job market; the location also intrigues us.
Housing and rent seem reasonable and are generally cheaper than the Sherburne/Norwich area; property taxes are also cheaper in Watertown.
My wife and I aren't very outgoing so a lively area with lots to do is not important to us.
One of my biggest concerns is the summer climate in Watertown.
I know what to expect in the winter, but what are temps like in the summer? Does it get very humid, being that close to the lake?
We both have a very low heat tollerance, but humidity is my biggest concern. There's not very much of it here, hence why I like this area.
I suffered several cases of heat exhaustion and almost heat stroke living in MD. Spring and summer there is horrible. 100*+ days and humidity over 70%; especially worse after a thunderstorm.

Well, anyway, I would appreciate any help on this subject, if possible.

Thanks a lot, all!
Don't worry. Watertown sounds perfect for you and your wife. It is more laid back and family friendly. I think your main concern is finding a job.

It's location is nice in that you can go to places like Sackets Harbor or Alexandria Bay. Canada isn't far at all either.

This might help you get a jump start in your job search: Watertown, NY Jobs | Jobs in Watertown New York and Surrounding Areas

Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM

368 posts, read 830,917 times
We've been here five years-total four summers and I can count on my hands how many times I thought it was humid. Practically no humidity to speak of. So pack your bags and give it a try. Oh and if you like Harbor Freight stores, we are finally getting one near the Red Lobster.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 26,006 times
Thanks a lot for your help. Finding a job is definitely a big concern...obviously for a lot of people.
I'm having a hard time deciding, though, between Watertown and the Albany/Schenectady area, or even Saratoga & Glens Falls.
I know there's a much better job market there and the area is pretty nice, but the city life isn't quite my thing.

I guess at this point I'll just go over the pros and cons of each area.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,761 times
Default Relocation to watertown

We lived in Watertown for one year, due to my husband being stationed at Ft.Drum. We moved, to Chattanooga TN when he retired. Our move was on July 30, and it was 68 degrees when we left. I arrived in Chattanooga TWO days later with 99 degrees (you can probably tell I was far from pleased.)
Our first snowfall that year, in Watertown, was Oct.22nd and the last was April 16th. I think that seems to be normal from what I heard from other residents there. I LOVED living there.
I am definitely a lower temp, no humidity type person and it was perfect weather the whole year for me. My husband did not like driving fifteen miles to the base during the snow time, but it was his choice. We could have lived on base. I had no problem, waving good bye as I was looking out the window, sipping my hot chocolate and he was driving away in four feet of snow. I remember (this was 1993) we were sitting there watching the news that talked about Chattanooga closing I-75 for and 18" snowfall, laughing hysterically. We had four feet that night in Watertown. The lake effect snow is beautiful and if you don't have a problem with driving in the snow, you will love it there.
I love the small town atmosphere and to be honest, I think that the people are very friendly. The cold weather creates situations where you entertain friends in your home more often( to stay warm), and the summer temps let you be comfortable for outdoor activities to share with friends and neighbors without suffocating in the heat and humidity. I would move back in a " New York" minute.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklevp View Post
We lived in Watertown for one year, due to my husband being stationed at Ft.Drum. We moved, to Chattanooga TN when he retired. Our move was on July 30, and it was 68 degrees when we left. I arrived in Chattanooga TWO days later with 99 degrees (you can probably tell I was far from pleased.)
Our first snowfall that year, in Watertown, was Oct.22nd and the last was April 16th. I think that seems to be normal from what I heard from other residents there. I LOVED living there.
I am definitely a lower temp, no humidity type person and it was perfect weather the whole year for me. My husband did not like driving fifteen miles to the base during the snow time, but it was his choice. We could have lived on base. I had no problem, waving good bye as I was looking out the window, sipping my hot chocolate and he was driving away in four feet of snow. I remember (this was 1993) we were sitting there watching the news that talked about Chattanooga closing I-75 for and 18" snowfall, laughing hysterically. We had four feet that night in Watertown. The lake effect snow is beautiful and if you don't have a problem with driving in the snow, you will love it there.
I love the small town atmosphere and to be honest, I think that the people are very friendly. The cold weather creates situations where you entertain friends in your home more often( to stay warm), and the summer temps let you be comfortable for outdoor activities to share with friends and neighbors without suffocating in the heat and humidity. I would move back in a " New York" minute.
Also, the area has grown in terms of shopping options off of Arsenal Street and people tend to not take advantage of the location that Fort Drum is in. I was stationed there from 2000-2003 and it wasn't that bad. It didn't hurt that I'm originally from Syracuse too. It really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, if they only take advantage of what's around them. Trips to say Ottawa, Kingston and Montreal are not long and same if you want to go to places in other parts of the Northeast.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,547 times
Hi,,,
I am living in Saskatchewan Canada right now, but am moving to Watertown May 1,, I' looking for a small 1 bedroom or studio apartment, but dont know what areas are good or bad. Is there public transportation there? Any info would be appreciated. Is it easy to meet people. Is there a gym..

Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk Lady View Post
Hi,,,
I am living in Saskatchewan Canada right now, but am moving to Watertown May 1,, I' looking for a small 1 bedroom or studio apartment, but dont know what areas are good or bad. Is there public transportation there? Any info would be appreciated. Is it easy to meet people. Is there a gym..
Here you go:
MapsKrieg - Watertown, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent
Colonial Manor Apartments - Watertown NY | Dawn Homes Management
http://www.nnyads.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...ss=103&range=1

Watertown, NY - Official Website - CitiBus
http://ny-watertown.civicplus.com/Do...iew.asp?DID=47

Page Fitness Athletic Club, Watertown, NY
Curves - Locations - Watertown/Pamelia, NY - South
WatertownYMCA

There's also the Watertown Health and Racquet Club and Gold's Gym on Eastern Boulevard.

As for nice parts of town, the Southside in areas off of Washington Street are very nice and there are some nice apartments on Coffeen Street and on the Eastern end of town off of State St. There really isn't a "bad" area of watertown, but some areas look rougher looking than others.

There is some nightlife there, but not an awful lot. There is some things in Sackets harbor and Alexandria Bay as well. You can also make a trip to Syracuse, Kingston and Ottawa ON too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York