Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,650 times

Advertisements

i stumbled across this forum and was surprised to see others who asked the same question…albany or rochester? i live in rochester about 20 years ago and i loved it-very nice neighborhoods to live in and places to walk to! after living in NYC for 20 years this is important b/c while i definitely need a change of (slower) pace, i like a neighborhood you can walk in.

so does albany have that? i remember lark st area as being nice.

the real question for me is whats the best job market? i would think albany b/c of government seat would have a steady economy- and have heard plenty about kodak/xerox tanking. rochester area has very affordable housing it seems. although i will rent for first year, i do want a place where i can buy a home…

so with that in mind i welcome any comments or suggestions, etc

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:53 AM

525 posts, read 1,826,685 times
Depends on what your job is. Rochester has reinvented itself with lots of small businesses and plenty of telecom and technology. Albany is lots of public sector jobs and service industry. It will be interesting to see what happens in Albany without Pataki pumping funds into it left and right. As you can see I am biased towards Rochester, but if you give us an idea of your desired job and what you are looking for (housing costs, culture, etc.), we can probably help you more.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 AM

525 posts, read 1,826,685 times
One more thing, Wikipedia has a great reference all about Rochester. Rochester, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. An important fact not mentioned is that Rochester was named #6 Most Livable City out of 379 US Metro Places in the 25th Places Rated Almanac (published this year I believe)

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 8,650 times
Thanks for your reply.

Well I am a designer (new career) interested in publishing, non-profit or any print media (newpaper magazine, etc.)

Looking to rent (likely within city) initially but the most important thing is that I will be able to buy a house in a couple of years. So for that, I am looking for rural-type suburb of a city with affordable older houses. As I said I have been looking at Rochester area housing market and am pleasantly surprised about the abundance of well-priced older homes.

Thanks again for any additional insights into your city.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,711,077 times
In that line of work , either city will be fine. It sounds like either city will suit you for your housing needs too. I'd go with the place thats closer to where you are from.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 AM

786 posts, read 4,730,964 times
Albany has more transplanted New York City people and has that famous attitude. Rochester has that Midwestern nice feel. I liked it better.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 PM

41 posts, read 138,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Albany has more transplanted New York City people and has that famous attitude. Rochester has that Midwestern nice feel. I liked it better.
This man is brilliant. I agree with him...therefore he must be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York