U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 12,199 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving from Los Angeles to Ithaca, NY. Could anyone tell me the benifits of Ithaca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 AM

142 posts, read 709,588 times
Check out this link from another poster:

seeking liberal, veggie/eco/outdoorsy friendly small town. help?

Skaneatelesmom

Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 AM

417 posts, read 1,698,128 times
It's going to be a BIG change, not least with the weather! Ithaca is a great small city though.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM

140 posts, read 645,701 times
moving from LA to Ithaca will be like moving to another country. Megalopolis with nightmare traffic, hugely inflated housing prices on little bungelows, long traffic commutes to get to work, shopping, schools, on and on. Not my idea of a family-oriented place to live. Expensive to go out to eat, get a haircut, go to the movies, buy clothing, on and on

Ithaca is literally just the opposite of LA on nearly all quality of life issues, cost of living, housing, education, traffic. As other posters have indicated, Ithaca is a small town in upstate New York, and home to Cornell University and Ithaca College, with Tompkins-Cortland Community College nearby. So, the population swell dramatically each year with the influx of students.

Housing ranges from the very modest to ultra-expensive and contemporary. Your property and insurance taxes will be high compared to other states, but again, the true assesses value of your property will be a fraction of a comparable house in LA. One factor you may not have much of an issue with in LA that you will in Ithaca is heating your house, during Upstate New York's typically long, cold, dreary, dark, sunless winters.

Other taxes willl probably be less also and your gasoline here will be in the low $3.05 range.

There's lot of cultural activities given the two major campus' in town. Lots of parks, playgrounds. The south end of Cayuga Lake borders on Ithaca and has a great marina, sports fields, walking/bicycle trails, and a swimming pool-ice-skating rink. There are Farmer's Markets downtown every weekend. The Science Museum is built by Ithaca volunteers and is quite spectacular. I could go on and on.

Quality healthcare is availabe through the Cayuga Medical Center and it's satellite clinics. The Guthrie Clinic(world famous!) also has satellite clinics here. For some more major procedures, people go to Binghamton or Syracuse.

Traffic? around rush hour, some of the side streets feeding into Route 13 to get backed up to some extent. But, you'll never have a hour long or two hour long commute to work. Probably less than 30 minutes if you live far out of town.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:56 AM

43 posts, read 198,857 times
Default LA vs. Ithaca

The spring, summer and fall scenery is great. The winters are long and dark, although Ithaca does not usually get as much snow as some neighboring areas.

Lots of things to do outdoors and many great day trip options. The scenic beauty of Central NY and the Finger Lakes really canít be beat.

There are many, many very well educated people and a large creative class. Itís also about as leftist liberal as you can get. When I lived there, there didnít seem to be much tolerance for views that were not left-of-center. Instead of a civilized exchange of views, those who were not extreme liberals were simply labeled as un-enlightened.

If you are a liberal or can tune out the political/public policy debates, youíll be fine. Politics plays a big role in the culture of Ithaca.

Property taxes in New York State are very high. Donít know how Prop. 13 affects your property in California, but make sure you check out the tax bill of what you are thinking of buying.

You should check out the town and see if it suits your style.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,199 times
Thank you for all your great information. We are already house hunting.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 AM

471 posts, read 2,394,291 times
How funny, we are doing the same move. We are in Simi Valley, CA now, and we are moving to Newfield, NY (8 miles out of Ithaca) in late Jul/Early Aug. Maybe we'll see you there :P

Old 06-09-2007, 07:11 PM

172 posts, read 756,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreg View Post
The spring, summer and fall scenery is great. The winters are long and dark, although Ithaca does not usually get as much snow as some neighboring areas.

Lots of things to do outdoors and many great day trip options. The scenic beauty of Central NY and the Finger Lakes really canít be beat.

There are many, many very well educated people and a large creative class. Itís also about as leftist liberal as you can get. When I lived there, there didnít seem to be much tolerance for views that were not left-of-center. Instead of a civilized exchange of views, those who were not extreme liberals were simply labeled as un-enlightened.

If you are a liberal or can tune out the political/public policy debates, youíll be fine. Politics plays a big role in the culture of Ithaca.

Property taxes in New York State are very high. Donít know how Prop. 13 affects your property in California, but make sure you check out the tax bill of what you are thinking of buying.

You should check out the town and see if it suits your style.
Yeah, that was something I had to learn about Ithaca. I came from a moderate-to-conservative area, and I was always just a little to the liberal tilt, which made me seem much farther left than I was. Then I moved to Ithaca, and I feel like a relative conservative. I went from being a sissy leftist to being a crazy conservative, lol.

But if you stay out of the politics, Ithaca's a nice place to live. Just my two cents. Good luck with your house hunting (the local paper's site, The Ithaca Journal - www.theithacajournal.com - Ithaca, NY, has house listings).

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 AM

42 posts, read 142,754 times
Default Newfield newbies...

Boy, I'm sure that you've noticed a few differences between the Valley and Newfield. I don't remember any covered bridges in the LA area. You've now woken up without any pollution crap clogging your nose. Funny that your commute only took half an hour, and the only slowdown was a tractor pulling a haywagon. Hope you enjoy your new home!

Chris Parrish
Atlanta(formerly Groton)
cparrish60@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
How funny, we are doing the same move. We are in Simi Valley, CA now, and we are moving to Newfield, NY (8 miles out of Ithaca) in late Jul/Early Aug. Maybe we'll see you there :P

Old 06-21-2007, 06:55 AM

42 posts, read 142,754 times
Default Ithaca skeebos...

If you're moving from LA, I would suggest putting your house equity into a house on the lake. Enjoy the beautiful, cool summer, and prepare yourselves for the gloomy winter. So many places to go, and so many fun things to do in Ithaca, and most of them cost nothing. I almost miss it. BTW, "Skeebo" is an Ithaca term for a redneck.

Chris Parrish
Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ome Image View Post
Thank you for all your great information. We are already house hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or