U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,116,022 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever been to this place? Rural out of touch area's interest me

a quick google search pulled this up

Quote:
ONIONTOWN HAS HAD IT. After another visit (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6914878&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1 - broken link) from out-of towners eager to mock the tiny community, state police investigators are saying, in effect, "Nonresidents, you don't have to go home, but you gotta get the hell outta here."
Police asked the two teens, a pair of 17-year olds from Mahopac, N.Y., if they had come to mock the town and then post it online, and they were forced to admit they had indeed. Instead they were pelted with rocks by an angry group of local residents, which apparently the filmers had not expected to be a part of their online video. Future nonresidents have a common destiny: pain.
A female passenger suffered injuries to her head and face, and the male driver also got what was coming to him.
Oniontown, a small, Poughkeepsie-area hamlet about 30 clicks north of Mahopac--no stranger to abandoned cars and trailer parks and muttonchop sideburns--has become the butt of online jokes and YouTube's current absorption. In "Oniontown Adventures," one of the pioneers of the genre, three foul-mouthed boys drive through hurling epithets during a tour through the town's run down section, which is all of it. As they muse upon the fact that their physical welfare may be in question, the cameraman records his frontseat friend observing the McDonalds Snackwrap© in his lap, exclaiming, "This is what I call the 'last supper,' " still giggling. "Jesus ain't got nothin' on this!" They hadn't seen urban poverty on this scale since Clarice Starling accidentally stumbled upon Buffalo Bill in Belvedere, Ohio. "The biggest recommendation is for everybody to stay [the fug] out of there," state police investigator Eric Shaefer told reporters. "Anybody that doesn't belong there, anybody that's not a resident, just stay out of Oniontown."
Sheesh. Police say it wasn't the first time different people have been attacked and they say they know the Dutchess County community has become the brunt of jokes online. But did they deserve it? The name of the community was already Oniontown. Could their life get any worse? What were they thinking, naming the town Oniontown anyway? Do they cry all the time? Is there a giant rock carving of one in the middle of the town square? It is not yet known whether Julia Childs or Emeril had anything to do with it.
From the beginning this lonesome village has been a laboratory for aspiring YouTubers, a stern school majoring in just one subject: the Science of Being Made Fun Of.
Seen from the back windows of the various cars that have "toured" the area, it looks like a perenially overcast, garbage-strewn, unsun-flooded portrait of rustic despair, a place of no activity, impressive only because the eye does not expect to see such dire straits in this part of downstate New York. No one loiters in front of their trailers and falling-apart wooden houses with chipped paint on them. They're all inside: bitter, xenophobic, religious; clinging to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them. Many dirt paths and roads appear to be the only access into the place; there were no paved streets. Other YouTube titles include "A Day in Inbred Town" and "Return to Fishkill."
How did the residents get wise that their town was becoming a national laughingstock? "I'm from Oniontown," one of the residents recently posted, calmly and simply. "I'm the one that first tipped my family off about all this youtube [stuff] 18 months ago....Since then about 30 cars of our 'fans' have had a meeting with the scrap yard, along with many 'fans' having a visit to the ER. As one that has an interest in making sure this does not elevate to something more 'harmful,'.....if you don't have any business in Oniontown, you don't have any business in Oniontown."
From what i understand, the property ISN'T private, so why should people stay out?

Thoughts? experiences?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,097,788 times
People should stay out because the residents of the town are apparently very upset at visitors and there have been fights, assaults, and shootings. The truth of it all? No clue.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 PM

65,155 posts, read 90,911,124 times
There are rumors that it is an inbreed, "hick" town that is similar to the Ramapo Mountain people aka "the Jackson Whites"

Breitbart.tv » ‘Oniontown Adventures Part 1′: NY Town Mocked on YouTube

Oniontown the New Compton

Ramapo Mountain area ethnicity resembles Oniontown, NY

The Ramapough Mountain People : The Jackson Whites

Ramapough Mountain Indians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,241,767 times
Please note that posts that are about one state or city belong in that respective room, and not "general u.s.". Moving.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 AM

162 posts, read 565,009 times
Do the kids there go to school with the other Dover Plains kids? Perhaps a student from one of those schools can give us the scoop on how the Oniontown kids interact with others?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 206,296 times
I live in Dover-Wingdale .. The kids of Oniontown do go to school in the Dover schools. I think the schools make an effort to keep the location of kids who live in Oniontown a bit of a secret.. I think it's best. Anyway the since my Daughter has started school, the school nor has my Daughter reported any problems at all. My Daughter is doing great since she started at DUFSD. There are no fights, taunting, teasing, etc - at least my Daughter reports. Being from the Bronx, she's happy not to see any of it anymore.. It's just a bunch of innocent children having a good time. Like anything else - if parents aren't involved, don't expect society or their surrounding environment to raise them into something you disapprove of. Be a responsible parent. I'm also active in the school and know more or less whats going on in the background and out of the student eye.

Lets face it, there isnt much to do for children up in our area, but it's up to you to be a good parent to keep your children busy and away from drugs and mischief and that goes for any town you live in. From upstate, expensive California and downtown NYC.. Dont be naive - It's not just an upstate or country thing..

After living here some time and roaming the neighborhood (Dover Plains/Wingdale/Millbrook), this whole Oniontown deal is a just a bunch of hype, ignorance (of the poor), the internet and way exaggerated because not enough locals explain more about it.

I drive by Oniontown every now and then while driving up to Millbrook or crossing over to Poughkeepsie. You can see the small off the road area while driving on route 22. Oniontown got it's hype due to being targeted (why and how no one knows) and made fun on. Yea, it looks a little strange and they obviously don't have much. I won't get into the "they should have a job" debate, but they are less fortunate for whatever reason.

To get to Oniontown you have to ride a very long road before actually getting in the little village like culdesac. So in other words, you really wont end up there unless you're lost, visiting or are there for the wrong reason. Like your driveway, you wouldnt allow people to pull up and take pictures of you, your children, your home, your dog, cat or house - you'd call the police. That's what Oniontown residents should have done after realizing they were being targeted and ridiculed, but they didn't. Let's face it, they saw people in their driveway, making fun of them and they reacted in anger.. Some of would go that route as well before remembering the safest and legal step is to pick up the phone and dial 911. Some people would be shot since many home owners own guns they can legally use.

No one has the right to take the law into their own hands, nor do people have the right to go into someones driveway and make fun of them publicly (on youtube). Oniontown isnt a museum, a freak-show (no comments or jokes) or some local highlight. It's people like you and I, who live life in their own world as they see fit. Incest, drugs, etc are all things that are their problems, the police handle that - and no they aren't scared to drive into Oniontown - Oniontown residents aren't like the town strong-arms or feared people .. You cant even pick them apart while out an about in the town..

I was once worried about Oniontown, you can find my post on these forums - Since moving up here I've learned that my concern was based on being ignorant to what was really going on here. It's not a pretty site(Oniontown), but they are doing their own thing and not bothering anyone at all! That's fine for me.

Hope this sheds some light on those curious..

Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM

17,224 posts, read 19,939,830 times
About of third of the state of New Mexico lives like Oniontown. "Hey, look! Poor people living on a gravel road with no outlet! How fascinating!"

I don't get it. I did know people who would drive around the projects for the same reason, though. Just to gawk at people who live nearby but with a very different lifestyle.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 206,296 times
ABQConvict exactly - But it seems to be a teen sensation / fascination.. Well, at the time it was. It's been very quiet since the Mahopac kids.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,116,022 times
i know im late, but thanks so much pcnetgeek

That answered my questions

Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 67,940 times
Dear pcnetgeek,

I agree with you that kids should not go up there and it is wrong for people to ridicule and make fun of them. However State Police and Sheriffs will not go up there and do not go up there. I know this for a fact because my cousin is a State Trooper and the last time he went up there was to stop out of town kids from going up. While the kids were getting pelted with rocks so was he, he had to call for backup. There is a gun association up by them as well. There is specifically no hunting in the property of the gun association and there is signs. The people of Oniontown do it anyways and the members of the gun association are too afraid to do anything about it. You can also easily point out a child that is from there. Not to be rude but they do have some dis formalities that can be spotted out. When there is a fire up there the fire dept will not go up there to put it out they'll just let it burn out. They have recently just gotten electricity in the early 90's and they only allow certain people to go up there and check everything out. Not trying to pick a fight here just saying what I heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York