Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

I think with the blue jays the demographic could also go a bit older than the students - back to when the Jays were winning WS games - now I think there are still jays fans out there, but maybe not so many new fans as access to all teams is better and the jays really aren't that relavent

i also know quite a few orioles fans from the Rochester area given what was a long time affiliation with the redwings - if not the #1 team there was an interest in following the guys in the majors you got to see play in the minors

similiar to the red sox in elmira (although a much lower class of ball) - you'll still find some old timers talk about watching a young wade boggs, oil can boyd, mike greenwell, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Word it however you like. You stated there are Yankee fans everywhere but Brooklyn,Queens,and Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As a rule of thumb, Yanks everywhere but Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island (essentially the entirety of the geographic island of Long Island is Mets country).

That said, it is way more complicated than that as per jblake's description.
"As a rule of thumb" means that I am about to use a platitude to express how the Yankees's fan base is oriented north of the City and that the Mets's fan base is concentrated in Long Island, Brooklyn and Queens.

To help those who are unfamiliar with that sort of rhetoric, I cited jblake's more nuanced description of the geographic nuances of baseball team allegiance in New York state.

I suppose I could spend the next year of my life conducting a study to come up with results like:

Bronx: 98.1% Yanks, 1.9% Mets
Westchester: 96.4% Yanks, 3.6% Mets
Brooklyn: 64.5% Yanks, 35.5% Mets
Queens: 45% Yanks, 55% Mets
LI: 66.2% Yanks, 43.8% Mets

Last edited by ABQConvict; 04-01-2010 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think with the blue jays the demographic could also go a bit older than the students - back to when the Jays were winning WS games - now I think there are still jays fans out there, but maybe not so many new fans as access to all teams is better and the jays really aren't that relavent

i also know quite a few orioles fans from the Rochester area given what was a long time affiliation with the redwings - if not the #1 team there was an interest in following the guys in the majors you got to see play in the minors

similiar to the red sox in elmira (although a much lower class of ball) - you'll still find some old timers talk about watching a young wade boggs, oil can boyd, mike greenwell, etc

There is a noticeable amount of Blue Jay fans in Buffalo metro (young & old) though I'm sure a lot are Southern Ontario transplants.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
"As a rule of thumb" means that I am about to use a platitude to express how the Yankees's fan base is oriented north of the City and that the Mets's fan base is concentrated in Long Island, Brooklyn and Queens.

To help those who are unfamiliar with that sort of rhetoric, I cited jblake's more nuanced description of the geographic nuances of baseball team allegiance in New York state.

I suppose I could spend the next year of my life conducting a study to come up with results like:

Bronx: 98.1% Yanks, 1.9% Mets
Westchester: 96.4% Yanks, 3.6% Mets
Brooklyn: 64.5% Yanks, 35.5% Mets
Queens: 45% Yanks, 55% Mets
LI: 66.2% Yanks, 43.8% Mets

First off Brooklyn has a higher Met base than what you are stating here. In Queens you might be surprised that it is about 50/50 and not as you stated even though the Mets play there. I still have family in Bayside and Astoria and can confirm it. As far as long island goes, I guess you would show numbers like this especially when you're totalling up to 110%.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

The minor league team in Rochester is the Red Wings which is now part of the Twins franchise.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Brockport is much different than Buffalo or Rochester. I'd imagine the large student population from the Long Island area would make things look closer to home for you.
I was in Brockport but worked in Rochester. I never judge by college opinion because you have tons of people from different states.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:32 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
The minor league team in Rochester is the Red Wings which is now part of the Twins franchise.
Yeah - I know - i spent many nights at Silver Stadium as a kid (and a couple at the new place as well)

The red wings were the orioles affiliate from 1961 - 2002 .... hence, why I said "what was a long time affiliation" (not current affiliation) ....... there were some good players that came through during those 40 years and even a couple guys who managed them for a little bit that went on to manage the big league club (earl weaver & cal ripken sr.)

Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah - I know - i spent many nights at Silver Stadium as a kid (and a couple at the new place as well)

The red wings were the orioles affiliate from 1961 - 2002 .... hence, why I said "what was a long time affiliation" (not current affiliation) ....... there were some good players that came through during those 40 years and even a couple guys who managed them for a little bit that went on to manage the big league club (earl weaver & cal ripken sr.)
When I was up there I heard Yankee, a little Met, Red Sox, and did here a few Orioles. No bluejays or anyone else.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
I was in Brockport but worked in Rochester. I never judge by college opinion because you have tons of people from different states.
hmmmm, I don't know what to tell you then. There are blue jay fans out there. Not as many as the other teams but we have them.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
hmmmm, I don't know what to tell you then. There are blue jay fans out there. Not as many as the other teams but we have them.
I don't doubt it,but the numbers are probably just small. Just didn't here of any when I was there. Based on proximity, that was one of the closest teams so I think there should be fans of Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York