Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times

Advertisements

I do not believe for a moment that Queens, Nassau and Suffolk are Yankee country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I do not believe for a moment that Queens, Nassau and Suffolk are Yankee country.
Granted I was born in the Bronx but I went to Flushing HS and lived in Smithtown (Suffolk) for years after getting married and I am 100% pinstriped Yankee fan. So were the vast majority of my friends. I saw a whole lot more Yankee apparel on the LIRR during the 2000 WS than Mets'.

As vision33r said, it's not just geography, it's demographic and cultural too. I still can't believe the Mets didn't try to sign Shin Soo Choo this off-season.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:17 PM

12 posts, read 51,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Long Island is almost 50/50 Yanks to Mets fans. The Yanks might have a very slight edge.
Born and raised on LI and still live here. I agree.

NY as whole you can't really say one dominates one over the other when it comes to the Mets and Yankees. I would say in pockets of areas maybe.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As a rule of thumb, Yanks everywhere but Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island (essentially the entirety of the geographic island of Long Island is Mets country).

That said, it is way more complicated than that as per jblake's description.
Not true.

Plenty of Yankees fans on Long Island. It's almost evenly divided among my friends...perhaps slight edge Yankees.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Start spreading the news....

[scribd]125827034[/scribd]http://www.scribd.com/doc/125827034/WHO-DO-WE-LIKE[/url]

Nassau County 64.4% Yankees
Suffolk County 61.1% Yankees
Queens 68% Yankees
Brooklyn 74.6% Yankees
Manhattan 78% Yankees
The Bronx 82.7% Yankees
Staten Island 71.4% Yankees

Old 06-19-2014, 03:51 PM

34 posts, read 46,331 times
The way that newspaper article is shown, does that tend to be the way people lend their loyalties?

Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers?

Mets/Jets/Nets/ Islanders?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornIron View Post
The way that newspaper article is shown, does that tend to be the way people lend their loyalties?

Yankees/Giants/Knicks/Rangers?

Mets/Jets/Nets/ Islanders?
Speaking only for myself (Live in Suffolk) I am Yankees/Jets/Rangers and don't care for basketball

Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
That all depends...which team is winning?

-Mets fan from LI.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 AM

612 posts, read 843,224 times
As far as I've always understood it:

Brooklyn-Queens-LI, i.e. the entirety of Long Island goes Jets-Mets-Islanders-Knicks. Possibly the Nets as well since they started out on LI, but they're time on the island was short-lived, especially their days of prominence, once they got rid of the Michael Jordan of the league (Erving) at the time. NJ Nets fans in NY from what I could tell were about as common as the AB- blood type lol. Ebbets Field and the Giants were the heart of Brooklyn, and the Yankees and baseball Giants were viewed as bitterly as the Ravens and 'Skins rivalry. You stayed on your side, and knew your boundaries. Giants fans remained loyal to their division, and their natural distaste/dislike for the Bronx Bombers, and adopted the Mets. Will never understand how Brooklyn became a Yankees stronghold..

North Jersey/Manhattan/Bronx/Staten Island is Yankees-Giants-Knicks-Rangers. Staten Island is closer to (and even at times considered by some to be apart of) NJ, along with a Yanks minor league team playing here I believe. This has always been New York tradition. In the older days, being a Jets/Yankees fan or vice versa got you the schizo label, and wasn't viewed all that much differently than being an Eagles/Mets fan. Again, this is historical tradition, I'm not sure how some people can go against tradition like so. I'll be honest, Yankee and Giants fans from the LI, (to include Brk, Que, LI) especially Brooklyn have always disgusted me, as does the Yankee/Jet combos, Rangers fans from the Island, the Jets or Mets fan in the BX, and Jet/Ranger combos. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with family, but I also suspect these specific combos are a result of casual fandom (not trying to insult, just speaking for the fans that don't always watch, that perhaps like the colors, name, etc) or worse:

Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
There were quite a few Yankees fans in Toronto when I was a kid in the 1960s (I cheered for the Red Sox largely because our Triple-A team then was Boston's top affiliate and I liked Joe Foy and Reggie Smith). I think the Yankees connection in these parts stemmed from the fact that rooftop antennas looped us into the world of Buffalo TV and Buffalo seemed to be a Yankees town. An older brother loved the Yanks, which added to my Red Sox fandom (I knew when Toronto was awarded an expansion franchise in the mid-1970s I'd become a Jays fan ... eventually ... but it took a few years and Dave Stieb to win me over).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York