Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 AM

36 posts, read 191,404 times

Advertisements

The New York State Association of Counties (NYSAC) recently released a report called, "The Gathering Storm (http://www.nysac.org/documents/FinalfullGatheringStorm.pdf - broken link), The Challenges Confronting the Future of New York." It was written by Jeff Osinski, Director of Research and Education, New York State Association of Counties. It is a publication of NYSAC and the Dennis A. Pelletier County Government Institute, Inc.

In the Forward to the NYSAC report, Stephen J. Acquario, Executive Director says: "There is no question that our state faces an important crossroad. We face two possible futures: one where we continue to lose people, businesses and jobs to other states; or one in which we leverage our strengths to rebuild our economy, foster innovation and attract people and businesses."

It is time that the leaders in this state—state and local leaders—work together to turn this ship of state in a different direction. We need to examine our public policy habits that have caused decades of overspending, overtaxing, over-regulating and overmandating. If our counties and our communities are going to grow again, state
leaders need to fundamentally change the way they do business in Albany."

The Introduction to the report says, a recent study conducted by the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania forecasts that 17 of the top 50 counties in population loss in the nation by the year 2020 will be New York counties.

The financial news network CNBC ranks New York State as the most expensive state in the nation in which to do business. Forbes ranks the state 49th in its business cost rankings. CEO Magazine ranks us 50th and the national Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council ranks New York State’s tax burden 44th.

New York also ranked 46th in costs of basic essentials, food, housing and energy. Only Alaska, New Jersey, California and Hawaii ranked higher in the costs for basic essentials.

We New Yorkers deserve a better government than we've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
that's the thing....for NYC....it NEEDS to be that expensive simply on the cost-demand simple economic model. That is why those of us upstate, far enough away to have NO benefit of being near NYC are the ones who hurt most. Our taxes are high and business climate unfriendly because of so many state-mandated policies that are designed to keep the demand for businesses and people coming to the NYC region in check. Splitting the state would be by far he best solution to this issue. A win-win situation IMO!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM

292 posts, read 725,400 times
I left shortly after graduating high school because there was simply no incentive to stick around. Despite having good grades, NYS gave me no scholarship. This may be news to those who have never left the state, but many states will give you a lottery scholarship if you go to a state school if you get good grades. NYS simply doesn't care about retaining young people. If I was given an incentive to stay I probably would've. I was accepted to other schools out of state and frankly was given decent scholarships, and became a resident a year later and paid next to nothing for my education. If I stayed in NYS, I would've paid more despite being an in state student. Granted this was in 2000, so things were cheaper.

I tried to return twice. The first time I ended up working fast food and security, and the second time I was told that SUNY Buffalo doesn't have any Research or Teaching Assistantships for graduate school. Ended up going somewhere else much cheaper and was offered a job right away after school. When you keep getting a bitter taste in your mouth, you stop coming back thinking it might be different.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
I left shortly after graduating high school because there was simply no incentive to stick around. Despite having good grades, NYS gave me no scholarship. This may be news to those who have never left the state, but many states will give you a lottery scholarship if you go to a state school if you get good grades. NYS simply doesn't care about retaining young people. If I was given an incentive to stay I probably would've. I was accepted to other schools out of state and frankly was given decent scholarships, and became a resident a year later and paid next to nothing for my education. If I stayed in NYS, I would've paid more despite being an in state student. Granted this was in 2000, so things were cheaper.

I tried to return twice. The first time I ended up working fast food and security, and the second time I was told that SUNY Buffalo doesn't have any Research or Teaching Assistantships for graduate school. Ended up going somewhere else much cheaper and was offered a job right away after school. When you keep getting a bitter taste in your mouth, you stop coming back thinking it might be different.
It can vary depending upon where you are now. For instance, Syracuse and Buffalo City Schools are under the Say Yes Program, which can allow graduates from those districts to attend college tuition free. Not all state offer a scholarship for good grades, but you may find similar programs like the Kalamazoo Promise in MI.

Things may depend on what you can or will do in terms of education, skills, work experience, etc. Even where you go in NY can make a difference.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 AM

402 posts, read 811,562 times
Do people realize that almost 2/3rds of the metro area's population does not live in New York city right?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 AM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Do people realize that almost 2/3rds of the metro area's population does not live in New York city right?
On top of that, a good portion of NYC's metro area are in other states. So, it could be a matter of some just moving to suburbs/cities in NJ or CT.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM

67 posts, read 93,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
that's the thing....for NYC....it NEEDS to be that expensive simply on the cost-demand simple economic model. That is why those of us upstate, far enough away to have NO benefit of being near NYC are the ones who hurt most. Our taxes are high and business climate unfriendly because of so many state-mandated policies that are designed to keep the demand for businesses and people coming to the NYC region in check. Splitting the state would be by far he best solution to this issue. A win-win situation IMO!
I agree that splitting New York into two separate states would be mutually beneficial for both regions.

As for young people leaving the state, I am planning to relocate myself. San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Denver, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Tampa are the cities that I am considering. All of these mid-sized cities provide a lot more opportunities than Buffalo, which is stuck in a perpetual rut.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
I agree that splitting New York into two separate states would be mutually beneficial for both regions.

As for young people leaving the state, I am planning to relocate myself. San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Denver, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Tampa are the cities that I am considering. All of these mid-sized cities provide a lot more opportunities than Buffalo, which is stuck in a perpetual rut.
Why are you only "planning" and not "doing"? You don't like it here, then leave. You don't "plan", you get your resume updated and spiffed up. You get your cover letters composed. You prowl job sites looking for likely positions in the city(cities) you'd like to move to. Jobs aren't going to materialize out of thin air just for you. You have to look for them.

All you've done since you joined this MB a few days ago is whine about Buffalo and NYS, diss Buffalonians, and warn would-be transplants that it's hard to make friends. My suspicion is that you probably won't go anywhere because you don't have the gumption to get off your buttocks and do something about your unhappiness. Instead, you'll just keep complaining.

Your problem isn't Buffalo and environs. IMO your real problem looks back at you from the mirror every day.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM

67 posts, read 93,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Why are you only "planning" and not "doing"? You don't like it here, then leave. You don't "plan", you get your resume updated and spiffed up. You get your cover letters composed. You prowl job sites looking for likely positions in the city(cities) you'd like to move to. Jobs aren't going to materialize out of thin air just for you. You have to look for them.

All you've done since you joined this MB a few days ago is whine about Buffalo and NYS, diss Buffalonians, and warn would-be transplants that it's hard to make friends. My suspicion is that you probably won't go anywhere because you don't have the gumption to get off your buttocks and do something about your unhappiness. Instead, you'll just keep complaining.

Your problem isn't Buffalo and environs. IMO your real problem looks back at you from the mirror every day.
Has it ever occurred to you that some people might have short-term obligations that they have to attend to, and can't just "up and leave" right away? Also, has it ever occurred to you that I might have had better experiences outside of Western New York while traveling? One example would be the two weeks I spent in Salt Lake City, which tops my relocation list. But Linda_d knows all. She is perfect, just like her beloved cities of Buffalo and Jamestown, to which people are flocking because they are such desirable places to live. Yeah right! "Would-be transplants"? That's funny. Buffalo isn't exactly a relocation hotspot. It's quite the opposite. For five decades, people have fled Buffalo for greener pastures, and are typically happier in their new environments. Just ask magnum and countless other ex-Buffalonians.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that some people might have short-term obligations that they have to attend to, and can't just "up and leave" right away? Also, has it ever occurred to you that I might have had better experiences outside of Western New York while traveling? One example would be the two weeks I spent in Salt Lake City, which tops my relocation list. But Linda_d knows all. She is perfect, just like her beloved cities of Buffalo and Jamestown, to which people are flocking because they are such desirable places to live. Yeah right! "Would-be transplants"? That's funny. Buffalo isn't exactly a relocation hotspot. It's quite the opposite. For five decades, people have fled Buffalo for greener pastures, and are typically happier in their new environments. Just ask magnum and countless other ex-Buffalonians.
Sweetpea, I've actually lived in other places, places I relocated to because I went out and found jobs there -- and that was in the pre-internet era when it was a lot harder to get leads on out-of-town jobs.

Whiney crybabies always have excuses for why they can't do something. People who aren't whiney crybabies find ways to deal with their situations, and if they can't do something about their problems, they don't waste their time complaining about them, especially on an internet MB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York