U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM

701 posts, read 2,086,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideJR View Post
The older i get the more I just want to get away as often as possible from the hustle of NYC life. The miss and I wanted to look into areas upstate for a house on a lake for some R&R. Do the lakes allow Kayaking/PWCs, etc...? I was wondering if there were any such communities within roughly 5 hours of the city? I say 5 hours because we will be driving up there on weekends so I figured 5 hrs is about what i think would be reasonable to leave on fri and come back on a sun night.
If so which would you recommend? What are the prices like? I really dont know many areas upstate.

If there are none within 5 hrs, how many hours away are they? Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
The Finger Lakes region can offer you the most, breath taking scenery, large lakes, quaint towns, etc.. But it is at the outside of that range. It will take you a full 4-5 hours to get to the region. Some of the further parts of the Finger Lakes would tack on yet another hour or two. There are closer options, but IMHO, not as nice. (Not that there is anything wrong with, for example, Lake George)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,887 posts, read 37,849,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
The Finger Lakes region can offer you the most, breath taking scenery, large lakes, quaint towns, etc.. But it is at the outside of that range. It will take you a full 4-5 hours to get to the region. Some of the further parts of the Finger Lakes would tack on yet another hour or two. There are closer options, but IMHO, not as nice. (Not that there is anything wrong with, for example, Lake George)
I think depends on where in NYC the OP is coming from, the way they go and what parts of the region they go to. For instance, Skaneateles/Skaneateles Lake would be around 4 hours or so. Some include Otisco Lake, which is also just SW of Syracuse, but doesn't have a village on it like Skaneateles Lake does. If the OP wants say Keuka Lake/Penn Yan, it will take longer due to distance and access. Ithaca/Cayuga Lake might not take as long as others as well.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:18 PM

43 posts, read 49,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You might want to try Greenwood Lake. Its a pretty large lake, surrounded by forested hills on the New York-New Jersey border. Not too far from the city either.

Other nice recreational lakes near the city include Candlewood Lake in Connecticut and Lake Hopatcong in New Jersey. In fact, maybe you should get a map because there are alot of smaller lakes, especially west of the Hudson.
Thanks for the suggestions. You are right there are a lot of lakes and the task is a bit daunting. It would be easier if i had someone living in an area and said yeah this areas nice. Going in cold like I am is too much. There are just too many areas to choose from.

These smaller lakes like the ones you mentioned. Are there any pros and cons with being only 1+ hr away from NYC? Are these lakes clean for swimming? Are they quiet areas?

Why would one choose the more northern area lakes vs these smaller southern ones?

Maybe these are the questions i should really ask. To narrow my search. Does anyone have any questions i should be asking to narrow down some areas?

I also realize with my distance you can start including PA, NY, CT, RI and even some parts of MA. Thats just too many areas to decide between.

Thanks again everyone. These forums are always a great source of info.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Status: "Write the vision and make it plain" (set 29 days ago)

31,887 posts, read 37,849,021 times
I'll give you this to think about, Skaneateles Lake is the drinking water source for the Syracuse area and the village of Skaneateles is one of the most affluent communities in the area. It really has that New England village feel to it. It's about 15 miles from Syracuse and 5 miles from Auburn, which is a smaller city on another Finger Lake(Owasco).

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM

701 posts, read 2,086,087 times
The lakes that are closer to the city are fine in terms of swimming, etc. But the towns/lakes that are further, have their own advantages. If you are solely looking for a place to drop a boat in the water, and swim a hundred yards, there are definitely lakes closer to the city that will fulfill those needs. If you are looking for a weekend escape that's more scenic, or has a more attractive local town, etc, then there could be reasons to go further.

You may want to take your time, spend a few weekends checking out the different options and see for yourself.

If it was me, I am partial to the Finger Lakes, the Seneca region especially. But that's because I like hopping between the various vineyards and wineries. I like the offerings of nearby Cornell (On Cayuga lake, but not a long drive from the western side of Seneca). I like the cultural and scenic offerings of the area. But that's me.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM

39 posts, read 88,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideJR View Post
The older i get the more I just want to get away as often as possible from the hustle of NYC life. The miss and I wanted to look into areas upstate for a house on a lake for some R&R. Do the lakes allow Kayaking/PWCs, etc...? I was wondering if there were any such communities within roughly 5 hours of the city? I say 5 hours because we will be driving up there on weekends so I figured 5 hrs is about what i think would be reasonable to leave on fri and come back on a sun night.
If so which would you recommend? What are the prices like? I really dont know many areas upstate.

If there are none within 5 hrs, how many hours away are they? Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Before you decide to buy something outside of the city make sure to think
things over in regards to travel time. I've seen many city families buy summer homes upstate, and the only ones who didn't regret their decision were the ones who kept their commute times under three hours.

After working all week, and looking to get out of the hustle and bustle of NYC, you DO NOT want to sit in traffic each weekend to travel 4-5 hours (which can most likely take much longer)! By the time you get there you'll be exhausted - and dread making that long haul back home within a few days time.

There are plenty of beautiful lake communities within a 2-1/2 hour drive from NYC. You can search Sullivan County MLS and find plenty of vacation retreats. For instance, Swan Lake is a quiet and pretty town close to Monticello and the Bethel Performing Arts Center. It's a non-motor boat lake (motor boat lakes are a bit more crowded - something you are probably not looking for). The towns of Rock Hill and Wurtsboro (Ulster Co.) also have their own lakes.

You can also find many lake communities in PA that are within a two hour drive. Our family rented a summer home in Emerald Lakes last year and it was the perfect spot for the piece, quiet and tranquility we needed. You won't find that in Lake George as it is a more touristy attraction. Emerald Lakes is also close to Camel Beach and Crossings Mall. So, when you want to venture into the crowd for a few hours, these places are within easy commute. Emerald Lakes is a community that has a few small lakes (good for kayaking, canoeing, paddle boating, etc.) and also has two small beaches for the kids to swim in while you relax in the sun!

Hope this helped a bit. Good luck in your search!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 10,192 times
I lived in Lake Hopatcong and Lake Mohawk, both are in NJ, so hopefully I can help you out with those and some other lakes in Northern NJ. Lake Hopatcong is the largest lake in NJ...I think its 7 miles long but don't hold me to that...actually, don't hold me to any stats :-) Its been about ten years since I've lived in NJ but I can definitely tell you what the areas are like. Lake Hopatcong means "Lake of Many Coves" so if you like to fish you'll love it! They also allow all types of boats, unlike Lake Mohawk that has strict boating rules. Lake Hopatcong is a busy lake on the weekends in the summer. Lake Mohawk is a private lake in Sparta, so you can't just drive over there and put a boat in the lake...you have to own a home in Lake Mohawk to use the lake. Same goes for the beaches...Lake Hopatcong use to have a public beach that got packed on the weekends...not sure if its still open or public. On LH, people take their boats over to Byram's Cove...most people go over there to hang out and have a few cold beverages, swim, see friends, listen to music, etc...that's not allowed on LM! Its a much smaller lake. LM has a small boardwalk and a quaint little village. There's like 5 restaurants, an art store, ice cream palor, realtor and a couple other little shops. If you are thinking about buying a house and you're looking for peace and quiet check out Lake Mohawk. If you like to let loose on the weekends, then try Lake Hopatcong. Since LH is so big, there are areas that are less populated. If you go up Route 15 and get off the exit for Espanong Road, as soon as you go over Route 15 that area was known for being quite. If you continue up Route 15 there are more lake towns like Branchville. I have a friend who lives there and its a nice quiet area. LH is about 75 minutes from NYC...LM about 90 minutes and Branchville about 2 hours. I hope some of this is helpful. I know if you search Lake Mohawk in Sparta, NJ there are photos and info online you can take a look at. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:18 PM

4,128 posts, read 7,818,807 times
Keep in mind you will pay higher property taxes in NJ and don''t believe you can get a good bang for your buck in a house.

Check into lakes in southern Adirondack region i.e. Saratoga Lake, and the towns of Moreau, Northunderland, which all have some beautiful lakes. Also you might consider a house on the river i.e. Hudson or Battenkill. The Batten Kill has some nice properties within your price range in upstate NY (Salem, Shushan). Saw a house on the Hudson in Schuylerville not too long ago within your price range and size.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 740,860 times
Default Saranac lake

Saranac Lake is beautiful................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York