Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 27,316 times

Advertisements

Well my family (husband and 1 year old son) are thinking that we are going to be relocated to corning ny. ( my husband is awaiting final notification on a job) But it seems that is going to be the case. We have done a good bit of research and coming from Ireland (my husband and son are irish i am originally from jersey) we are not worried about it being rural (we come from a place where the local pub, post office and convienent store was all one place, our neighbors were cows, and well i am sure you get the picture.
I am a teacher myself and we have a good amount of time to source schools (although i am happy with what i have read thus far about corning district anyway). I am looking more for general information.
What are the people and general community like? What are the conviences and inconviences? What should I know before I get there? Is there a variety of activities and sports for kids?
We are going to rent for a while anyway unitl we find an area we want to remain permanent in. But any information is helpful.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM

10 posts, read 27,316 times
ok so husband got the job....is there anyone out there with any information! the move is coming very quickly!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Corning is a nice little city of about 10,00 people. You have Elmira, a city of about 30,000 close by with shopping and some events too. I think you will be fine and the area is family friendly. It's pretty safe and affordable.

You shouldn't have any issues with the schools in the area, as most are fine. You have some private school options in the area as well.

This might help in terms of rental options in the area: MapsKrieg - Elmira, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Unfurnished Apartments

Apartments for Rent in Chemung County, Steuben County | Apartment in Chemung County, Steuben County*New York

You also have the Gaffer District in Downtown Corning: Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Here's some more information on the area: Corning Area Chamber of Commerce - corningny.com

Experience Corning, NY - Welcome to Corning, New York in the heart of the Finger Lakes Wine Country (experiencecorningny.com)

Corning Museum of Glass - Kids and Teens Free! (19 and under)

City of Corning --

Corning & the Finger Lakes, NY - vacation packages, travel guide, attractions, accommodations.

Arnot Mall | Arnot Mall Home Page

Home Page

Home Rockwell Museum - Western Art, Rockwell Museum, Native American Art, American Association of Museums, Remingtons West, Bob and Hertha Rockwell, Visions Beyond Clay, Tammy Garcia, Old City Hall

The National Soaring Museum - Harris Hill, Elmira, NY

Welcome to the Arnot Art Museum

Wings of Eagles .... where history takes flight

John W. Jones Museum, Elmira, New York

and more.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York