Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM

852 posts, read 2,013,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I agree. I'm OK with salaries for the top dog of a school district. What is annoying that there are 3-5 asst superindentants under the superindentant that make close (if not more than) to $200k. If I'm paying someone, big bucks, does he/she really need all these assistants?

I do think they work year round.....
The more that school districts are made accountable to federal and state standards, the more staff you need to be responsible for knowing and ensuring guidelines are met.

The more that school districts necessitate outside grant dollars, the more staff you need to both complete the grants and the ensure compliance with the rules of the grant and the execution of the program to which the money was granted.

I call it a double-edged sword because the more the public and politicians "demand accountability" the more money it takes to run a school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM

574 posts, read 975,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I thought administrators work all year, unlike teachers. I could be wrong. Running a school district is like running a corporation, so I don't think we should be surprised to see the high salaries. If you want good administrators, you have to pay them well. Any school district that low-balls its top administrators' salaries is only going to be able to hire people at the "bottom of the barrel". Sad but true. Same thing goes for teachers. The high salary situation for administrators and teachers is never going to change on Long Island, so why keep complaining about it?
Another common myth. Administrators "work" the summer...but they get 20 vacation days as per their contract and they get the same days off teachers get during the school year. So in fact they "work" about 200 days a year. Plus I'm sure their "work" day during the summer must be brutal

Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
A former co-worker just left to take a job in the business office of a school district and they have "summer hours" which she was very excited about.

That list must be slightly outdated as Prendergast hasn't been super in GC for at least 4-5 years and I believe her replacement makes about $247K.

As KBInspections said it's not necessarily the superintendents, it's all their underlings that are ballooning the costs. In GC alone I think they've added 8 administrative positions over the last 5 years.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 AM

Default So, IL is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Another common myth. Administrators "work" the summer...but they get 20 vacation days as per their contract and they get the same days off teachers get during the school year. So in fact they "work" about 200 days a year. Plus I'm sure their "work" day during the summer must be brutal
So, you agree that they do work during the summer. However, because you are cynical, you operate with the unsupported assumption that they aren't doing anything during that time?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:16 AM

280 posts, read 246,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
So, you agree that they do work during the summer. However, because you are cynical, you operate with the unsupported assumption that they aren't doing anything during that time?
What kind of company ceases operations for 2.5 months out of the year and maintains a busy (or as busy) workload? The assumption may be unsupported but it's not illogical. Common sense is very uncommon.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Lots of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
What kind of company ceases operations for 2.5 months out of the year and maintains a busy (or as busy) workload? The assumption may be unsupported but it's not illogical. Common sense is very uncommon.
Hotels and amusement parks virtually close down during the winter months. Amusement parks in the north shut down in the winter. Convention halls are most busy when there is work, but you don't lay off the management when they aren't booked.

The pursuit of money, the fulfillment of state obligations, hiring, in-service preparation, arrangement for faculty development, equipment upgrade, grounds management, new rules compliance, record keeping - these need to be done year round.

Do you have reason to believe that they don't need to be done?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 AM

280 posts, read 246,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Hotels and amusement parks virtually close down during the winter months. Amusement parks in the north shut down in the winter. Convention halls are most busy when there is work, but you don't lay off the management when they aren't booked.

The pursuit of money, the fulfillment of state obligations, hiring, in-service preparation, arrangement for faculty development, equipment upgrade, grounds management, new rules compliance, record keeping - these need to be done year round.

Do you have reason to believe that they don't need to be done?
Your comparisons are terrible and not applicable. I don't dispute that there is work involved during the summer, but things like "new rules compliance" and "record keeping" don't appear to me like it would comprise the full time job that running the school during the school year would entail.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Your comparisons are terrible and not applicable. I don't dispute that there is work involved during the summer, but things like "new rules compliance" and "record keeping" don't appear to me like it would comprise the full time job that running the school during the school year would entail.
Your argument makes more sense if you conveniently shave down the longer list - like you did.

And your experience with managing schools is what?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,691,155 times
Much of school administration are useless and overpaid. NY has layers and layers of administration driving up costs with overpaid salaries and amazing benefits. We need to fire or layoff a good number of these people. Education costs are driving this state into bankruptcy and getting rid of some of the layers of useless administrators(among other things) is a step in the right direction.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 12,520 times
I voted my budget down this year because they added 3 administrators and cut 15 teaching positions and increased my class size to 29 / class. For the amount of taxes we pay on LI we should not have such a large class size. Do you we really need to add administrator and cut teachers ? What happened to it all about the kids ? Increasing the class size is not about the kids. I feel the only way to get heard is to vote NO. When you go to the PTA meetings the Board does not want to hear that you don't want bigger classes and more administrators...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York