Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 AM

168 posts, read 314,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Listen, the point of it all is that the civil servants are paid off the backs of private sector employees. Does it make sense that, on average, civil servants have significantly better benefits than private sector employees while having wages that are on par and in many cases better than comparable private sector wages?
Most civil service positions pay less than private hence the better benefits and security. There are a few positions where market forces and public needs have tilted the favor in recent times. Recessions do that.

Quote:
Bottom line - civil servants compensation structure parity with the private sector means cheaper taxes for me, or greater services for my tax dollar. It's a shame the 4th of July fireworks are cancelled.
Emotional self serving greed. I do support your right to voice your opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
Most civil service positions pay less than private hence the better benefits and security. There are a few positions where market forces and public needs have tilted the favor in recent times. Recessions do that.

Emotional self serving greed. I do support your right to voice your opinion though.
Well, you know, it's sad to see children deprived of their holiday boom-booms.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:35 AM

280 posts, read 247,533 times
Quote:
Wrong with the most - this was the case but since 1990 (per the WSJ), public sector wages have increased at a higher rate than private sector wages and you have many civil servants doing much better than their private sector counterparts in salary alone.

Quote:
Wrong, not an emotional plea at all. It's showing you how reducing civil servant compensation can benefit someone not at the top. All of us who pay taxes will benefit.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Well, you know, it's sad to see children deprived of their holiday boom-booms.
It sure is, kids love the 4th of July fireworks as does my family.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Wrong with the most - this was the case but since 1990 (per the WSJ), public sector wages have increased at a higher rate than private sector wages and you have many civil servants doing much better than their private sector counterparts in salary alone.

Wrong, not an emotional plea at all. It's showing you how reducing civil servant compensation can benefit someone not at the top. All of us who pay taxes will benefit.
So by taking something away from someone else your life will be improved. Thank god there are unions and laws to protect the civil service workers from a greedy self serving tax base. This is the very reason the unions and the taylor law exist. To protect against emotional/rash decisions everytime it appears the sky is falling and to continue uninterrupted the services we have deemed vital to the GREATER good.

"Fire them all" lol

Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
So by taking something away from someone else your life will be improved. Thank god there are unions and laws to protect the civil service workers from a greedy self serving tax base. This is the very reason the unions and the taylor law exist. To protect against emotional/rash decisions everytime it appears the sky is falling and to continue uninterrupted the services we have deemed vital to the GREATER good.

"Fire them all" lol
Look I'm not saying civil servants shouldn't be paid a fair wage for what they do. They should. Their wage should reflect what a similar position in the private sector would pay, with an adjustment for the job security that exists int he public sector. This is not the case currently. Stop making this into a "greedy tax base taking everything away from the civil servant". Do you even live on LI? It's quite the opposite situation here, with the greedy civil servants sucking the average tax payer dry.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Look I'm not saying civil servants shouldn't be paid a fair wage for what they do. They should. Their wage should reflect what a similar position in the private sector would pay, with an adjustment for the job security that exists int he public sector. This is not the case currently. Stop making this into a "greedy tax base taking everything away from the civil servant". Do you even live on LI? It's quite the opposite situation here, with the greedy civil servants sucking the average tax payer dry.
I own a home in North Patchogue. Most civil service workers in NY are paid less than private. Some jobs do not have a comparable private counterpart as they are services provided by the state or local governments only. They all get paid what they can bargain for during good and bad times. Sometimes they do well... sometimes they dont.

Good luck with improving your situation by looking to take stuff away from others. I choose to improve myself by increasing my own education/skills/investments ect ect.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 PM

294 posts, read 610,099 times
Quote:
Good luck with improving your situation by looking to take stuff away from others. I choose to improve myself by increasing my own education/skills/investments ect ect.
One could say that those in the public sector that are still seeing decent increases are taking away from others. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of middle class people (both public and private sectors) that haven't seen any salary increases for several years (if they still have a job), yet have to continue to pony up more and more in the way of taxes to fund the salaries and benefits of those that are largely insulated from this economic mess we find ourselves in.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
I would simply drink my coffee black

There are still pensions in the private sector at some very profitable companies. It is greed that has taken away pensions. Greed at the top paid for by people at the bottom who actually produce.

My prior industry has seen it all. The airlines have taught me one thing and that is for everydollar we give up under false pretenses the top gets richer. Working class people should be sticking together and demanding equal pay NOT demanding things taken away from others. That is not how we improve our standerd of living.
I don't see a lot of well compensated public servants "sticking together" with anyone other than themselves. I spoke about these line of reasoning in an earlier post and about what a crock it is.

Last edited by dman72; 06-04-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
One could say that those in the public sector that are still seeing decent increases are taking away from others. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of middle class people (both public and private sectors) that haven't seen any salary increases for several years (if they still have a job), yet have to continue to pony up more and more in the way of taxes to fund the salaries and benefits of those that are largely insulated from this economic mess we find ourselves in.
Yes largely insulated... in good times and bad. When times were good in the private sector were people up in arms over the low pay and terrible working conditions that civil service workers deal with? These raises they are now receiving... you know the 11% spread out over 4 years were negotiated to make up for what they didnt get when times were good. The next round will reflect current times and look paltry during the next boom cycle. As it always does and always has. There have been many years when public employees received little or no raises but THAT never makes Newsday's front page.

Facts are most civil service is payed less than private.
Most civil service pay for benefits and do not get them for life.
Most do not retire after 20 years with whatever pay you wanna insert here.
Most pay into their pensions
Most do not earn over 100k
ect
ect
ect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York