U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 PM
 
54 posts, read 96,692 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Index Crimes Reported: 2005 - 2009 - NY DCJS (http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/broome.htm - broken link)
Here are the numbers for all the agencies in Broome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM
 
54 posts, read 96,692 times
Reputation: 24
The only reason I mention Binghamton and Johnson City sepcifically is because although those two combined only make up around 30% of the population, they make up nearly 53% of the crime, so i was just addressing the heart of the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM
 
31,954 posts, read 37,975,429 times
Reputation: 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
The only reason I mention Binghamton and Johnson City sepcifically is because although those two combined only make up around 30% of the population, they make up nearly 53% of the crime, so i was just addressing the heart of the crime.
You also have to keep in mind that much of the shopping and things going on are in these two communities too. Considering the bulk of the crime is property crime, it only makes sense for Johnson City to have it's share because the mall is there.

Binghamton is the biggest city and the center of the metro. So, again, it is going to have more crime in comparison due to it's size and it's where much of the metro goes for events, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM
 
54 posts, read 96,692 times
Reputation: 24
I actually dont think that has much of an effect at all. The town of Vestal which by far has the most shopping done there had around 500 property crimes with around 27,000 people (including college kids) while Endicott where by far the least amount of shopping goes on had around 500 also, but with only 12,000 residents living there. Vestal also keep in mind has a lot of college plazas and stuff like that. So I really don't think having a good deal of shopping effects a cities property crime rate very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM
 
31,954 posts, read 37,975,429 times
Reputation: 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
I actually dont think that has much of an effect at all. The town of Vestal which by far has the most shopping done there had around 500 property crimes with around 27,000 people (including college kids) while Endicott where by far the least amount of shopping goes on had around 500 also, but with only 12,000 residents living there. Vestal also keep in mind has a lot of college plazas and stuff like that. So I really don't think having a good deal of shopping effects a cities property crime rate very much.
Why wouldn't considering there is shoplifting that occurs at malls/shopping centers?

Also, malls attract people from communities throughout an area. So, you might have other incidents there as well. Especially when it is the only mall in the area.

Of course, economics will play a part and considering the communities you mentioned, I'm not surprised too much by those stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM
 
54 posts, read 96,692 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why wouldn't considering there is shoplifting that occurs at malls/shopping centers?

Also, malls attract people from communities throughout an area. So, you might have other incidents there as well. Especially when it is the only mall in the area.

Of course, economics will play a part and considering the communities you mentioned, I'm not surprised too much by those stats.
LOL, have you ever been to the Oakdale mall? It attract rich girls from Vestal and Endwell, not your typical thug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Tioga County
460 posts, read 1,265,956 times
Reputation: 343
......Just a sidebar for you two...owego, and ckthankgod......The "situation" continues...first was the "street party" at the church bazaar in Endicott last week.....Bing Central's "outdoor mixer" on Thursday, followed by a series of "events" after another church bazaar in Endicott this weekend. Attendance was excellent..many new and "interesting" newcomers to our area were in attendance at all three........ Sorry for the use of "code"...don't need to supply that bunch of southern tier haters who've posted here w/more "ammunition"...you two can respond - but respond likewise.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM
 
54 posts, read 96,692 times
Reputation: 24
lol, I wasn't invited to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM
 
31,954 posts, read 37,975,429 times
Reputation: 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
LOL, have you ever been to the Oakdale mall? It attract rich girls from Vestal and Endwell, not your typical thug.
I'm not saying it does, but isn't the only mall in the area? So, wouldn't you get all kinds of people there?

Keep in mind that property crimes can be done by anyone, including rich girls from Vestal and Endwell. It could be as simple as trying to steal a shirt from a store and getting caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM
 
31,954 posts, read 37,975,429 times
Reputation: 6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
......Just a sidebar for you two...owego, and ckthankgod......The "situation" continues...first was the "street party" at the church bazaar in Endicott last week.....Bing Central's "outdoor mixer" on Thursday, followed by a series of "events" after another church bazaar in Endicott this weekend. Attendance was excellent..many new and "interesting" newcomers to our area were in attendance at all three........ Sorry for the use of "code"...don't need to supply that bunch of southern tier haters who've posted here w/more "ammunition"...you two can respond - but respond likewise.............
I guess that good to hear, as long as everything is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top