U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 PM

54 posts, read 96,692 times

Advertisements

Index Crimes Reported: 2005 - 2009 - NY DCJS (http://criminaljustice.state.ny.us/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/broome.htm - broken link)
Here are the numbers for all the agencies in Broome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM

The only reason I mention Binghamton and Johnson City sepcifically is because although those two combined only make up around 30% of the population, they make up nearly 53% of the crime, so i was just addressing the heart of the crime.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 PM

31,954 posts, read 37,975,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
The only reason I mention Binghamton and Johnson City sepcifically is because although those two combined only make up around 30% of the population, they make up nearly 53% of the crime, so i was just addressing the heart of the crime.
You also have to keep in mind that much of the shopping and things going on are in these two communities too. Considering the bulk of the crime is property crime, it only makes sense for Johnson City to have it's share because the mall is there.

Binghamton is the biggest city and the center of the metro. So, again, it is going to have more crime in comparison due to it's size and it's where much of the metro goes for events, for the most part.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM

I actually dont think that has much of an effect at all. The town of Vestal which by far has the most shopping done there had around 500 property crimes with around 27,000 people (including college kids) while Endicott where by far the least amount of shopping goes on had around 500 also, but with only 12,000 residents living there. Vestal also keep in mind has a lot of college plazas and stuff like that. So I really don't think having a good deal of shopping effects a cities property crime rate very much.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I actually dont think that has much of an effect at all. The town of Vestal which by far has the most shopping done there had around 500 property crimes with around 27,000 people (including college kids) while Endicott where by far the least amount of shopping goes on had around 500 also, but with only 12,000 residents living there. Vestal also keep in mind has a lot of college plazas and stuff like that. So I really don't think having a good deal of shopping effects a cities property crime rate very much.
Why wouldn't considering there is shoplifting that occurs at malls/shopping centers?

Also, malls attract people from communities throughout an area. So, you might have other incidents there as well. Especially when it is the only mall in the area.

Of course, economics will play a part and considering the communities you mentioned, I'm not surprised too much by those stats.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why wouldn't considering there is shoplifting that occurs at malls/shopping centers?

Also, malls attract people from communities throughout an area. So, you might have other incidents there as well. Especially when it is the only mall in the area.

Of course, economics will play a part and considering the communities you mentioned, I'm not surprised too much by those stats.
LOL, have you ever been to the Oakdale mall? It attract rich girls from Vestal and Endwell, not your typical thug.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:08 PM

460 posts, read 1,265,956 times
......Just a sidebar for you two...owego, and ckthankgod......The "situation" continues...first was the "street party" at the church bazaar in Endicott last week.....Bing Central's "outdoor mixer" on Thursday, followed by a series of "events" after another church bazaar in Endicott this weekend. Attendance was excellent..many new and "interesting" newcomers to our area were in attendance at all three........ Sorry for the use of "code"...don't need to supply that bunch of southern tier haters who've posted here w/more "ammunition"...you two can respond - but respond likewise.............

Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM

lol, I wasn't invited to either.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
LOL, have you ever been to the Oakdale mall? It attract rich girls from Vestal and Endwell, not your typical thug.
I'm not saying it does, but isn't the only mall in the area? So, wouldn't you get all kinds of people there?

Keep in mind that property crimes can be done by anyone, including rich girls from Vestal and Endwell. It could be as simple as trying to steal a shirt from a store and getting caught.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
......Just a sidebar for you two...owego, and ckthankgod......The "situation" continues...first was the "street party" at the church bazaar in Endicott last week.....Bing Central's "outdoor mixer" on Thursday, followed by a series of "events" after another church bazaar in Endicott this weekend. Attendance was excellent..many new and "interesting" newcomers to our area were in attendance at all three........ Sorry for the use of "code"...don't need to supply that bunch of southern tier haters who've posted here w/more "ammunition"...you two can respond - but respond likewise.............
I guess that good to hear, as long as everything is cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York