Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM

54 posts, read 152,640 times

Advertisements

Vestal is pretty wealthy. A lot of doctors offices are in vestal and many of them live in Vestal. Vestal has a couple of neighborhoods where houses can get up to $750,000 and definatly is one of the wealthiest towns in Broome along with Endwell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think that people are saying that Binghamton is crime free, but it is a metropolitan area that is generally very safe in comparison to most metros in the US. Binghamton is a city and you are going to have some incidents. So, to have those things happen doesn't surprise me. There are some neighborhoods that are safer than others too.

Keep in mind that NY State's crime rate is the 15th Lowest in the US, according to stats. I know stats can be adjusted due to what gets reported and what one considers crime, but this still gives a rough idea as to what crime is like around the country.
Theres no dobt Broome AND Tioga together have a very low crime rate, Im just saying Binghamton and Johnson City have high crime.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Someone posted this link on that post:
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/ngta2009.pdf (broken link)

Showing Broome County is not among counties in New York such as Erie (Buffalo) or Monroe (Rochester) or Onondaga (Syracuse) that have higher gang numbers that EXCEED THE 500 MARK. This doesn't mean an absence of gangs or the problem Broome still has, but it does mean, as I've said before, Broome is still right in the middle. It's not that shabby, but it's not the cleanest place. All places have drugs and crime. Broome is sort of like a Broom, it goes left or right depending on what area. Forget that analogy, but you know what I mean. As I research Broome, I have realized that areas like Binghamton I may want to stay away from. Yet I am drawn to areas like Vestal because Vestal seems to have decent shopping, it seems to be booming like Blasdell and Hamburg area in Erie, becoming a bit cleaner, etc. I don't know about the economy there... I expect the economy to be no better then the same old upstate New York economy kinda thing. Jobs scarce, this and that, etc. But I'd appreciate information about the Broome County economy. I'd also appreciate information that may also possibly lap into Tioga County (southern tier area). Thanks
Youve got to take population into account though. If Broome really does have lets say 400 gang members and it was the same size as Erie county(roughly 5x bigger Broome would have 2000 gang members, on the high end of Erie Countys shaded color.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
Youve got to take population into account though. If Broome really does have lets say 400 gang members and it was the same size as Erie county(roughly 5x bigger Broome would have 2000 gang members, on the high end of Erie Countys shaded color.
I did take population into account and Broome County has about 190, 000 people, give or take. So, they make up less than .5% of the county's population. Even if that was just in Binghamton, that's barely over 1% of that city's population. Just trying to put the numbers into perspective.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 PM

I know you did. I was reffering to VanillaCoffee talking about how Broome had so much less than erie county and others.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I did take population into account and Broome County has about 190, 000 people, give or take. So, they make up less than .5% of the county's population. Even if that was just in Binghamton, that's barely over 1% of that city's population. Just trying to put the numbers into perspective.
1% of the population is probably what the normal percentages are for most cities.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
1% of the population is probably what the normal percentages are for most cities.
Probably, give or take. That's if all of them are even in one city in Broome County.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Probably, give or take. That's if all of them are even in one city in Broome County.
Yeah, minimum is probably around .7% if they are all in the triple cities, which is probably the best bet.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM

71 posts, read 212,135 times
Quote:
Theres no dobt Broome AND Tioga together have a very low crime rate, Im just saying Binghamton and Johnson City have high crime.
Right, thanks, I'm glad someone finally got in about JC. And now judging by many posts, I can tell Johnson City isn't AS nice as I speculated, but I still think it's defiantly a possibility, I'd just have to be careful what area in the coming years I'd go to. Maybe when I do look to move in a couple years or so, Johnson City will be a bit cleaner and Bingo will be improving, maybe in a couple years, JC will be dissolved and Bingo will be officially the Camden, NJ of Broome, I don't know, time will tell.

Also, Owego, check I posted a topic on Tioga County, and you can be the ice breaker.

Quote:
Yeah, minimum is probably around .7% if they are all in the triple cities, which is probably the best bet.
How would you say Broome is apart from the Triple Cities?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Right, thanks, I'm glad someone finally got in about JC. And now judging by many posts, I can tell Johnson City isn't AS nice as I speculated, but I still think it's defiantly a possibility, I'd just have to be careful what area in the coming years I'd go to. Maybe when I do look to move in a couple years or so, Johnson City will be a bit cleaner and Bingo will be improving, maybe in a couple years, JC will be dissolved and Bingo will be officially the Camden, NJ of Broome, I don't know, time will tell.

Also, Owego, check I posted a topic on Tioga County, and you can be the ice breaker.

How would you say Broome is apart from the Triple Cities?
Well then there Vestal and Endwell which are both pretty wealthy and vestal has most of the shopping. But besides the triple cities, vestal and endwell, it gets pretty rural. A lot of country and farms besides the five main cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York