U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:28 PM

692 posts, read 466,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The main problem is the cost to replace a cvt transmission if it goes bad. I heard it is around $8,000?
CVT tranny just went out at 77,000 miles on my 2013 Versa.

Took it to Aamco. The total cost for a complete repair is around $3700.

I can only imagine if I took it to the dealer since it's out of warranty and there are no transmission recalls for my car. ������

Last edited by Rkstar71; 10-28-2018 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,650,880 times
I feel bad now because I just bought a 2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 yikes.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:51 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,908,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well I would hope so being that it’s only 2 years old. Report back in about 4 more years, or when the car approaches 100k miles.
My commuter car is a 2013 Altima with the 2.5, and the car has 125k miles on it so far not a single transmission problem. The cvt in a commuter car is much better than 6 speeds imo the 2017 camry is garbage it's slow, and burns much more gas than the Altima. Not sure about the new 8 speed though. I can still get 40 mpg at 65 mph it's extremely efficient on the highway, but not so much in the city. CVTs are just fine don't listen to people unless they own a 2013 or newer 38 mpg, and 0-60 in 7.3.

The CVT also allows you to harness the torque I have a lot of fun with it to get to 75 I never go pass 2000 rpm i've come to realize that all these years I didn't really know how best to drive this car you don't need to accelerate just a tap, and CVT adjusts to however you drive the vehicle instead of standard automatics. I'm usually the first car off the line as well with no gas. At 125k im positive I can make it to 200k with no major repairs.

In a non cvt one would never be able to keep the engine at desired RPM.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:11 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,069,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
CVT tranny just went out at 77,000 miles on my 2013 Versa.

Took it to Aamco. The total cost for a complete repair is around $3700.

I can only imagine if I took it to the dealer since it's out of warranty and there are no transmission recalls for my car. ������

Some manufacturers CVT's are better than others. Some of Fords are garbage. I know a few people that have new vehicles, and cant get the them fixed right, after several trips to the dealership. Even then they require new clutches at 60,000 miles. I heard the Honda's are pretty good.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 PM

876 posts, read 488,324 times
My brother in law has a 13 Altima with 144,000 miles on it. Says he's never had a problem with the cvt.

There's a ten year old Altima sitting at the local Nissan dealer for sale with 245,000 miles on it. I was surprised to see one last that long. Just sayin'.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 PM

97 posts, read 25,564 times
I belong to a lot of automotive forums. Word on the street is Nissan CVT's are the worst, never have personally driven one. Honda and Toyota make the best CVT's. Not just for reliability but also for how they feel driving. I own a 2017 Civic CVT, it's buttery smooth and fun to drive in "S" mode. CVT's can't be neglected, I plan on getting the fluid changed every 30k miles.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:13 PM

97 posts, read 25,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
My commuter car is a 2013 Altima with the 2.5, and the car has 125k miles on it so far not a single transmission problem. The cvt in a commuter car is much better than 6 speeds imo the 2017 camry is garbage it's slow, and burns much more gas than the Altima. Not sure about the new 8 speed though. I can still get 40 mpg at 65 mph it's extremely efficient on the highway, but not so much in the city. CVTs are just fine don't listen to people unless they own a 2013 or newer 38 mpg, and 0-60 in 7.3.

The CVT also allows you to harness the torque I have a lot of fun with it to get to 75 I never go pass 2000 rpm i've come to realize that all these years I didn't really know how best to drive this car you don't need to accelerate just a tap, and CVT adjusts to however you drive the vehicle instead of standard automatics. I'm usually the first car off the line as well with no gas. At 125k im positive I can make it to 200k with no major repairs.

In a non cvt one would never be able to keep the engine at desired RPM.
The new 8 speed Camry's are having some issues. I was checking them out for awhile and reading what owners had to say on the Camry message board. Sounds like the transmission hesitates and reprogramming it doesn't always fix the problem.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:24 AM

13,751 posts, read 29,759,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
The new 8 speed Camry's are having some issues. I was checking them out for awhile and reading what owners had to say on the Camry message board. Sounds like the transmission hesitates and reprogramming it doesn't always fix the problem.
I had a 2018 SE as a loaner a couple of weeks ago. There were a few times when coming to a ‘rolling stop’ and then accelerating where it seemed like it took a second to find the right gear, but I think most transmissions with a lot of gears are going to be that way. Those first few gears are so close together that it only stays in each one for a second. I still preferred it over the CVT Toyota uses in the Corolla.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM

1,223 posts, read 336,273 times
You would think that since the CVT transmissions are just a belt connecting the engine and wheels, rebuilding one of them wouldnt a big deal when they break. Unfortunately, I found out watching a video that because of the way the belt is constructed, once it goes, it makes a hell of a mess in the case.
There were also a couple parts in the sliding pulley for the belt that ceases, to make the belt break.

But whatever they charge for a rebuilt tranny is a ripoff because the dealer doesnt even rebuild it themselves, they just send back the old one and change it for a working one and install it. I wanna know what that cost is.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:16 PM

7,988 posts, read 5,506,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I belong to a lot of automotive forums. Word on the street is Nissan CVT's are the worst, never have personally driven one. Honda and Toyota make the best CVT's. Not just for reliability but also for how they feel driving. I own a 2017 Civic CVT, it's buttery smooth and fun to drive in "S" mode. CVT's can't be neglected, I plan on getting the fluid changed every 30k miles.
That's what I did with mine.

Has a 2008 Altima 2.5, ran it to over 300k miles. No issues.

Recently got rid of my 2014 Altima 2.5. Again, ran it to around 300k miles. No issues. Ran like new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti