U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:17 PM

7,988 posts, read 5,506,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I feel bad now because I just bought a 2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 yikes.
You'll be fine. I've had 2 of them with the 2.5, which comes with the weaker CVT. Neither one of them gave me problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 PM

1,797 posts, read 875,320 times
Just got my wife's 2013 Juke back from the dealer. Because she never bothered to do regular maintenance, her CVT is toast at 72,000 miles. So there's that!

Old 11-24-2018, 08:42 AM

1,850 posts, read 2,650,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You'll be fine. I've had 2 of them with the 2.5, which comes with the weaker CVT. Neither one of them gave me problems.
Okay thanks I love the car otherwise... !

Old 11-24-2018, 04:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,908,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I had a 2018 SE as a loaner a couple of weeks ago. There were a few times when coming to a ‘rolling stop’ and then accelerating where it seemed like it took a second to find the right gear, but I think most transmissions with a lot of gears are going to be that way. Those first few gears are so close together that it only stays in each one for a second. I still preferred it over the CVT Toyota uses in the Corolla.
The problem with the corolla is the low power not the CVT 132 hp meanwhile a basic civic with the cvt comes in at 158, and 174 for the EX-T with the CVT as well winch both destroy the Corolla.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:40 AM

5,044 posts, read 3,603,221 times
Our Murano started getting that higher-pitched sound, like an airplane trying to take off. I figured it was the CVT starting to struggle. Didn't really cause any problems, but I finally took it in for servicing/flushing after six months or so.
Should have serviced it sooner.
But, what makes this interesting is that the shop replaced a bad wheel bearing at the same time. They said THAT is where the sound was coming from.
They could be right....hope so.
We have 105,000 on it, love the car. And would like it to last a few more years.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:24 PM

7,988 posts, read 5,506,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Our Murano started getting that higher-pitched sound, like an airplane trying to take off. I figured it was the CVT starting to struggle. Didn't really cause any problems, but I finally took it in for servicing/flushing after six months or so.
Should have serviced it sooner.
But, what makes this interesting is that the shop replaced a bad wheel bearing at the same time. They said THAT is where the sound was coming from.
They could be right....hope so.
We have 105,000 on it, love the car. And would like it to last a few more years.
The "final bearing" in the CVT makes that noise when the fluid gets too hot and no longer lubricates it appropriately -- an indication of "burnt" fluid. Maybe you had a bad wheel bearing? Chances are, however, that it WAS the final bearing, and that the fluid needing to be changed was the culprit. For whatever reason, even shop techs tend to be completely oblivious when it comes to CVTs and the internals. They're really not that complex.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 PM

5,044 posts, read 3,603,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The "final bearing" in the CVT makes that noise when the fluid gets too hot and no longer lubricates it appropriately -- an indication of "burnt" fluid. Maybe you had a bad wheel bearing? Chances are, however, that it WAS the final bearing, and that the fluid needing to be changed was the culprit. For whatever reason, even shop techs tend to be completely oblivious when it comes to CVTs and the internals. They're really not that complex.
I agree about your last point. We have had this car into the same shop a dozen times over the last five years (mostly for tires, inspections, etc). It was only AFTER I mentioned the transmission possibly starting to make noise this summer that the owner said to me, "yeah, those CVT transmissions need to be serviced and an eye kept on them". (It WAS my bad that it took me another six months to finally get the work done.....although we don't drive that car very much. It was HIS bad that what he called servicing meant only draining and replacing. But I had done my City Data reading and had him go back and flush it twice).

Whether it was replacing the wheel bearing or the CVT being serviced, the car sounds much better today than it did a week ago.

Old Today, 03:23 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,650,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I agree about your last point. We have had this car into the same shop a dozen times over the last five years (mostly for tires, inspections, etc). It was only AFTER I mentioned the transmission possibly starting to make noise this summer that the owner said to me, "yeah, those CVT transmissions need to be serviced and an eye kept on them". (It WAS my bad that it took me another six months to finally get the work done.....although we don't drive that car very much. It was HIS bad that what he called servicing meant only draining and replacing. But I had done my City Data reading and had him go back and flush it twice).

Whether it was replacing the wheel bearing or the CVT being serviced, the car sounds much better today than it did a week ago.
I'm glad you solved your problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti