U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM

255 posts, read 688,334 times

Advertisements

I read the 7th gen Maxima forums daily and maybe seen 2 or 3 people with CVT problems. Obviously the car is still fairly new, but out of all the forums I read, the current Nissan CVT has no more problems than traditional transmissions in other cars.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
If you like being driven mad every time you stab the gas pedal, the CVT will work just fine for you. Those that like a more refined ride, and instant response to a specified gear when pulling out in traffic and/or passing, then stay far away from the dreaded Nissan CVT. I had a Sentra loaner from Enterprise, with a CVT, and it was hands-down the worst car Ive driven since the Ford Festiva. No joke. Shoddy build quality, awful plastics, puky mustard-orange gauges, hard seats, ugly overall looks, awful CVT, sharp edges. Id rather ride a bicycle to work. Do yourself a favor and cross-shop vehicles in its price range/class.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,346,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
If you like being driven mad every time you stab the gas pedal, the CVT will work just fine for you. Those that like a more refined ride, and instant response to a specified gear when pulling out in traffic and/or passing, then stay far away from the dreaded Nissan CVT. I had a Sentra loaner from Enterprise, with a CVT, and it was hands-down the worst car Ive driven since the Ford Festiva. No joke. Shoddy build quality, awful plastics, puky mustard-orange gauges, hard seats, ugly overall looks, awful CVT, sharp edges. Id rather ride a bicycle to work. Do yourself a favor and cross-shop vehicles in its price range/class.
LOL Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

As far as instant response to a specified gear, that's where the CVT shines. It's always in the correct gear ratio for the rpm and load.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM

440 posts, read 1,628,643 times
I drive an '05 Sentra, which is getting repaired for a blown headgasket (another rant in itself!)

They gave me a '10 Altima for my rental. This is my first time experience with CVT transmissions, and so far I am not impressed. First there is no "coasting" with this car. When I let up off the gas to coast to a stop sign or slow down to make a turn, the engine feels like it's going to power off.

Or when talking off from a stop light. Usually when I let up of the gas (in the sentra), the car rolls forward. Not with the Altima, it just sits there until I hit the gas.

None of these is a bad thing (especially the latter issue) just something that would take time to get use too.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:10 AM

420 posts, read 651,107 times
the CVT isnt really anything that u have to get use to. one thing i do notice is the engine doesnt have to work too hard at all. however, if you floor it, the RPM will got to 6000rpm and stay there until u take your foot off the gas. But spirited driving doesnt really make the engine work hard....im saying this as a month long 3.5 Altima coupe owner.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,858 times
I have 2007 Versa SL Hatchback with CVT with 164,000 miles. The CVT Transmission has been replaced ate 63,000 miles, 109,000 miles and now needs to be replace for a third time. Sorry I am not a fan of the CVT Transmission. First 2 covered under warranty, but not the third. $3,400 to replace new and $2,400 to replace used.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,346,895 times
13 altima CVT issues(please read) - Nissan Forums : Nissan Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM

4,912 posts, read 5,522,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Nissan had MASSIVE issues with the CVT's when they were first introduced across all platforms. To their credit, they did step up and extend the warranty on them. However, the warranty carries an asterisk that only the recommended Nissan brand CVT fluid be used in the car or the warranty is voided. Not saying you couldn't fight that in court, but that would be a heck of a hassle.

The cost tends to run between $200-$300 for the fluid change. However, Nissan does not recommend changing the fluid at any particular interval outside of their Premium Maintenance schedule. Basically, they offer three scheduled maintenance options. Options 1 and 2 are the "normal" and "severe" duty schedules, while option 3 is the premium. Most peope will fall under the "severe". You do NOT need to use the premium schedule to maintain the warranty. However, the other schedules will call for testing the fluid at intervals that can only be done at the dealer. IMO, this is a way they are slaving people to their dealer service bays. At given intervals they will inspect the fluid and either state that it's fine, or that it needs changing. Of course, they charge for this diagnostic. Also, if the diagnostics are not done (or the fluid is not changed per the premium schedule), or if you change the fluid with something that is not the Nissan fluid, they can void the warranty.

If it were me and I chose to buy a CVT Nissan and keep it for a long time, I would most likely default to dealer maintenance to insure the integrity of that CVT warranty. It's not so much a question of if, but when it will fail. I would also never plan to keep one past the CVT warranty period unless I had the funds available to spend on a replacement.

To me; Nissan + CVT = Throwaway car. If you're someone who likes to hold onto their cars as long as possible, I would look elsewhere.
U say that its not an issue of if but when it will fail. Can't the same be said for a conventional geared transmission as well? There is no such thing as an infinite lasting transmission.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,999 times
2012 Nissan versa 123,000 miles 3 years CVT went out cost me $3,600 to replace. I didn't know the transmissions were so sensitive wish I had researched before I bought the car. I had purchased for the gas savings but now factor in the maintenance and replacement cost their goes the savings... Should have just bought a car with power.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,672,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrod View Post
2012 Nissan versa 123,000 miles 3 years CVT went out cost me $3,600 to replace. I didn't know the transmissions were so sensitive wish I had researched before I bought the car. I had purchased for the gas savings but now factor in the maintenance and replacement cost their goes the savings... Should have just bought a car with power.
That's pretty high mileage though, not to say that it should have failed. How did you drive it? Fast/slow acceleration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti