U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,800 times

Advertisements

My mom and dad have a 1995, they have had to do a few things here abd there, not sure what, but they have had it for over 10 years now with almost 175,000 miles on it abd it's still kicking. The problem they are having now with it is the rpm needle always registers at the highest it can and a few other needles on dash doing same thing, but they run it daily up and down a 400 ft hill that is pretty steep, they back up the hill at least 4times a day no problem. They said it's the best 4 wheel drive they've ever had. I've drove it a few times and even backed it up their hill and it does great. It gives them no problem with the 4 wheel drive. As long as the previous owners have then good care of it, a 1995 Pathfinder is a really good investment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,293,057 times
Automatic trans cooler comes apart internally, milk shaking trans with coolant and metal was the rap I always heard about. Regular coolant service and preventative radiator replacement or bypassing the cooler altogether with an external cooler should be sufficient.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,825 times
Hi everyone I have a 1996 Nissan pathfinder it wont start anymore,took to my mechanic said the EGR valve is bad so I bought a new one put it in still not not starting,he said it need ignition wire set put new one still wont start.he said it needs something else,i give up and now really don't know if he really know what he's doing.i don't have money for all this.I need your suggestions and ideas for me to have my car back in the rd.cant afford for a new car now.thanks everyone.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM

8,432 posts, read 5,847,123 times
The VG motors were virtually indestructible. They are good trucks.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:53 PM

10,707 posts, read 17,349,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo76 View Post
Hi everyone I have a 1996 Nissan pathfinder it wont start anymore,took to my mechanic said the EGR valve is bad so I bought a new one put it in still not not starting,he said it need ignition wire set put new one still wont start.he said it needs something else,i give up and now really don't know if he really know what he's doing.i don't have money for all this.I need your suggestions and ideas for me to have my car back in the rd.cant afford for a new car now.thanks everyone.
Why did you hijack someone elses thread AND start your own thread?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM

8,613 posts, read 8,038,850 times
Yup, bulletproof. Regular maintenance only. Astonishingly reliable. The body will rot off it before the engine and tranny die.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:16 PM

8,613 posts, read 8,038,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeda212 View Post
My mom and dad have a 1995, they have had to do a few things here abd there, not sure what, but they have had it for over 10 years now with almost 175,000 miles on it abd it's still kicking. The problem they are having now with it is the rpm needle always registers at the highest it can and a few other needles on dash doing same thing, but they run it daily up and down a 400 ft hill that is pretty steep, they back up the hill at least 4times a day no problem. They said it's the best 4 wheel drive they've ever had. I've drove it a few times and even backed it up their hill and it does great. It gives them no problem with the 4 wheel drive. As long as the previous owners have then good care of it, a 1995 Pathfinder is a really good investment!
The one and only thing Nissans were known for-the circuit boards in the instrument clusters do go bad. '98 Frontiers were notorious for them.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
I have a Nissan Pathfinder 1995 2wd (automatic transmission). Sometimes when I move the gear selector to D it only drives in the 2nd gear. Sometimes it works perfect with no issues. I tried to read a code using the A/T switch and the light comes on for 2 seconds and flashes 10 more times for one second. Then, it keeps repeating the same pattern. Please Help.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,484,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I'm thinking of getting a 1995-1998 Nissan Pathfinder to drive for a year or two. Anyone who has owned one or are familiar with them, what are some issues that come up with these?

I checked some ads and have seen a few mention the transmission not going into reverse. Anything else? Are some years better than others?
The engines on those things are bullet proof. But you have to look out for rust. The cheap metal rusts out very easily. Go over the frame with a fine toothed comb.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,480,485 times
We had a '95 Pathfinder. Here are a few points about it.

Great engine. Virtually no problems with the engine or air conditioning. I think it only held something like 3 quarts of oil.

Poor fuel mileage

I read that the automatic transmission had a defect in that the cooling line to the cooler on the bottom of the radiator was not large enough in diameter--something along that line. Resulted in transmission problems in them. Much better off with a manual transmission. We had an automatic and only put about 30,000 miles on it in 10 years. It developed transmission problems. Ours did not want to shift out of second unless you let up on the gas pedal. The transmission is definitely the weak spot.

The RPM gauge worked erratically and often not at all.

It leaked dust in the doors on gravel roads.

For a 4 wd, it did poorly in snow, even with weight in the back. Have had many 4wds and this was the poorest of them all in snow. Had good tires on it and it still did poorly. Got stuck just trying to get to the road from the house.

One of the rear brake drums rusted from the perimeter inward and the edges broke apart. Never had that happen before on any car. Had other miscellaneous rust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti