Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 132,161 times

Advertisements

My wife's 1998 Nissan Sentra has an anti-freeze leak. It leaks on the front passenger side. I have not been able to find the location of the leak. I have had the car pressure tester and no leaks.

The leak appears overnight or after the car has been driven and sits for several hours. The car sat recently for two weeks and the puddle got larger.

Any suggestions as to where the leak is coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM

886 posts, read 5,713,825 times
When you pressure test it is the car cold or hot? It sounds to me like it only leaks when it is cool or cooling off.

Also they have a dye that you can put in the coolant and it will glow under a black light. I use it at work to help find leaks.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM

usafracer, the car was hot for the pressure test. I will look into the dye. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Keep in mind that like a roof leak, the antifreeze leaked out may travel laterally along some tube or body part, so that it drips off the car fairly far away from where it leaked out.

If you lift the car, (be safe) and get under and look up using a good flashlight, you can probably find where the leak is. Could be as simple as a hose that's got old and cracked.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I'm not familiar with Sentras but it sounds like you have a heater core leak. Sometimes they leak in really strange ways.

This suggestion is based on the assumption you mean it is leaking "into" the passenger side floorboard, or do you mean it leaks under the car on the passenger side?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm not familiar with Sentras but it sounds like you have a heater core leak. Sometimes they leak in really strange ways.
Damn, I hate to say it, but I was thinking the same thing. Hope not, but that might be what it is.

Maybe this year Senta a heater core is not that much of a PITA job, but in general outside of older pickup trucks (really older...) heater core R&R IS a PITA.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Damn, I hate to say it, but I was thinking the same thing. Hope not, but that might be what it is.

Maybe this year Senta a heater core is not that much of a PITA job, but in general outside of older pickup trucks (really older...) heater core R&R IS a PITA.
I don't think I've ever seen a heater core R&R I wanted to do. They can be a real headache especially when your flexibility and eyesight is gone like mine.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:15 PM

34 posts, read 145,818 times
You need to test it with the engine running and the heater turned on so the anti-freeze is circulating through the heater core. Most vehicles' heater blend valve operates from vacuum or electric. It must be open for a test. When the heater is turned off you are not putting pressure on the heater core when you put pressure in the radiator.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If that's the original heater core you are lucky to have gone this long, they will typically last about 8-9 years regardless of miles driven. Shop around, you can pay $39 to $150 for that one depending where.

That's a good one, requires both air bags and the steering column to be removed. Try Barsleak first just in case it helps. In summer you can loop the hoses together and bypass it.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks everybody. I apologize for my failure to communicate properly that the antifreeze leak was outside on the passenger side. I will keep all the suggestions in mind if the heater core ever goes bad.

The leak was actually coming from a weep hole in the water pump.

You guys have been very helpful. Once again, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti