Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Not sure if they are still doing it, but there was a limit to how many times you could use launch control on the GTR and then it would void your warranty. So if you used it 5 or 6 times and the transmission went, it would not be covered under warranty.

Although the GTR is a beast, it is not that good looking of a car...doesn't look like an almost $100,000 car. The interior is also nothing special, but I get that your not buying it for the interior. I've also read articles where the GTR does not perform as well as advertised. Porsche bought one of the lot and couldn't come close to the numbers Nissan was claiming. A few others have said they didn't feel the PSI boost was as much as Nissan claimed. In most of the car magazines and other comparisons Nissan provides the car, they are never bought off the lot and tested it. Given that Japanese companies aren't always truthful about stuff, I think much of the cars performance is exagerrated. Still a really good car, but a ZR1 would beat it on the track on a regular basis.
List of Top Gear test track Power Lap Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Race Track"; professional driver
Mildly moist (MM) / Damp (D) Track surface slightly damp with some dry patches after light rain or drizzle −2 seconds

1:17.8 Nissan GT-R (2012)
1:19.7 Nissan GT-R
1:20.4 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (damp)

Last edited by Me007gold; 07-29-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times

2012 NISSAN GTR Top Gear Power Lap 1:17.8 - YouTube

Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times

Corvette ZR1 vs Audi R8 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

Go to the 6:00 has a ton of power, but its a handfull on the track

Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
List of Top Gear test track Power Lap Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Race Track"; professional driver
Mildly moist (MM) / Damp (D) Track surface slightly damp with some dry patches after light rain or drizzle −2 seconds

1:17.8 Nissan GT-R (2012)
1:19.7 Nissan GT-R
1:20.4 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 (damp)
Yes, but who provided the cars...was it Nissan or did they buy it off the lot.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
I'm sure the time is very official for the current car and no shenanigans were involved. The Porsche vs. Nissan thing you talked about was on the original production car. Porsche claimed that Nissan must have used racing slicks on the 'Ring lap that they claimed was official and the fastest at the time for a production car. The thing that keeps the controversy going is that no one was able to ever replicate anything close to Nissan's claimed laptime on the original production spec GTR at the 'Ring. Nissan supplied photos of the tires and a second video as confirmation, but skeptics remain. It all became moot though, because the GTR has been upgraded since then and no one doubts its current performance times. The controversy started and ended in 2008.

The Top Gear times prove they are competitive cars and so do the 'Ring times for them:

7:19.63 - 2012 Corvette ZR1 (optional racing tires)
7:24.22 - 2011 GTR (stock tires, semi-wet conditions)
7:26.40 - 2009 Corvette ZR1 (stock tires)
7:26.70 - 2009 GTR (optional racing tires)
7:29.03 - 2009 GTR (stock tires) <-- This is the one that was controversial.

Wet conditions at the 'Ring are a much larger penalty then they would be on the Top Gear track given how much longer the 'Ring is. So, I think they are pretty comparable overall. I think the car that has the advantage would probably come down to the track they are being raced on.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Doesnt matter... The "juiced car" for magazine tests etc. are total bs old wives tales, only allowed to live on because of hackadoodle journalist "testers" that cant drive themselves out of a wet paperbag. They are some of the worst to deal with at a track and either they or someone that works for the manufacturer are always the one to lawndart one in the wall during "media days" for HP launches. Usually in the last 5 minutes of the last session of the day.

Motorcycles, especially dirt bikes are the only vehicles that really have any "juiced rides" and thats because they actually take a fair amount of prep and set up to get right from "out of the box". Especially the FI ones. For that reason almost all media bikes are setup by factory techs or more commonly a manufacturer's favorite dealer, one usually deeply rooted in racing the brand.

From the get go the gtr was always shown to put out MORE in actual performance than officially claimed. The first year gtrs were putting down something like 30-40whp less than advertised at the crank. Pretty amazing. They are very impressive cars to drive at the limit. A beautifully balanced package. Ive driven plenty of 1000+ whp ones even and even with plenty of other mods all it does is just spoil a beautifully balanced package.. sure theyll do 0-60 in under 2 seconds instead of 3, but the car really is about the whole package. Again, not gt3 rs scapel sharp but a performance sledgehammer that crushes competition anywhere near its price range and even much more on a track.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The M5 isn't a head turner in the traditional sense. People will think it's a highline car, but nothing special outside that. Also, here in LA - and many other big cities - most M5 owners aren't performance buyers but pedigree buyers who just wanted the top-of-the-line for the series.
that is also very true. some people want top of the line of their model.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Doesnt matter... The "juiced car" for magazine tests etc. are total bs old wives tales, only allowed to live on because of hackadoodle journalist "testers" that cant drive themselves out of a wet paperbag. They are some of the worst to deal with at a track and either they or someone that works for the manufacturer are always the one to lawndart one in the wall during "media days" for HP launches. Usually in the last 5 minutes of the last session of the day.
I've never heard any one claim that. Any time the talk of 'Ring times or VIR times comes up, poeple want to knwo where the car came from. Even if all they did was an alignment and a tank of really good gas that could be a lot better then a typical dealership car right off the transporter. I suspect more goes on like reflashes and perhaps shaved tires but who knows.

P.S. I want a GTR.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I've never heard any one claim that. Any time the talk of 'Ring times or VIR times comes up, poeple want to knwo where the car came from. Even if all they did was an alignment and a tank of really good gas that could be a lot better then a typical dealership car right off the transporter. I suspect more goes on like reflashes and perhaps shaved tires but who knows.

P.S. I want a GTR.
Of course tires have a huge influence.. Thats why all times are usually done with OE tires to be consistent in their claims. And alignment of course, they MAY make sure the alignment is according to specs.. The way vehicles are tied downed and transported if people don't demand their initial free alignment check and demand specific specs on HP cars that they have a clue about they're not being very smart with their brand new purchase.. I have yet to see a car come off a truck or a lot that had a 100% spot on alignment. Working THOUSANDS of media days, manufacturer test and tunes, and vehicle comparos I have yet to ever see one instance of unscrupulous or unfair prep or tactics in any one of them. I have seen pretty much every other ridiculous circumstance happen at these events though. The biggest variable is always the drivers, that would be the reason why these times are a not the most fair to compare. VIR is a great example, There's at least 5-6 guys hanging out in pit lane or the club house at any given time that I guarantee could eclipse those numbers. The best way to actually be consistent from car to car at a given track is to be able to balance at exactly 10/10ths every millisecond. Just like with testing anything from a FF to an F1 car. In reality the only ones that are able to do that are the guys that drive THAT track EVERY day to get a feel for all the little nuances and changes that occur day to day, minute to minute on THAT pavement. Of course there is something to say for consistency, but the guys that are not on these tracks EVERY day are leaving SECONDS, nevermind tenths on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti