Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

No start. Originally thought it was the distributor--replaced--no start.

Then Crank sensor replaced no start.

Contacted a Nissan mechanic said it was either the crank sensor or ECM.

Since I already replaced the sensor--the verdict was the ECM is bad. Got a new ECM and guess what it started! Bad news: It only started once. Can not get it to start again.

So obviously it has something to do the ECM, but not sure what?

The distributor and crank sensor have been replaced and the car started once with a used ECM and then will not start again.

What would be short circuiting the ECM?

It cranks over fine, and air, fuel and compression are good. It has no spark--plugs and wires are good and so is the distributor, coils and crank sensor. It is a problem with the ECM. I put a used one in and it started right up, but only one time. No spark coming out of coil wire (Coil wire already replaced).

Power coming into the coil, but no power coming out of the coil. 2 Prong plug has juice in both prongs, but we can't get any spark out of coil wire. It's not the coil causing the problem.

I took the distributor out and plugged it in, turned on the key(not the start position), and turned the shaft of the distributor and the coil wire has spark and the tach even moves. When I bolt up the distributor to the engine, the coil wire loses spark. No one seems to know what the hell is going on with this car...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I'm not that familiar with this particular car - it has both a crank sensor and a distributor? Are you certain the distributor is turning when you crank the engine?

Is the coil mounted on the distributor?

Does this car have a belt driven cam/timing system?

Have you read the codes? You almost certainly have a CEL set.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Time to get a scanner on this and see what codes show up.

Engine sensors will run in the P0335, 0340, and 1336 codes.

Otherwise, it's anybody's guess what's going on with this car.

A used ecm is questionable, too, unless it came out of a good running car for test purposes.

Don't overlook poor wiring grounds, damaged wires or connectors.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Broken engine ground?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
John, maybe it's best to start at the beginning - apparently you drove the car, parked it, running fine, and then the next time you tried to start it, it wouldn't start. At that point you replaced the distributor (with new, used, rebuilt?) (you sure you got all the wires back on in correct firing order?) and that didn't help. So you changed the ECU, and got one start out of that, now it won't start again, right?

But, if you take the distributor out of the engine and turn it, you get a spark at least at the coil, and the tach moves.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 PM

That is correct.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM

But is doesn't make any sense because the car did start after the ECU was replaced and it ran fine. It was only after we put it back together we had the same problem.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Update:

A friend of mine spoke to a Nissan tech he knows and was told that the distributor may be the whole problem. The fact that it loses spark just by bolting it in makes him think the shaft is somehow grounding out the cam position sensor inside the distributor. He said the only distributor to put in is a new Nissan distributor which costs approximately $400. He told him used and rebuilts are junk.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Was the engine set at TDC when you reinstalled the distributor?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Update:

A friend of mine spoke to a Nissan tech he knows and was told that the distributor may be the whole problem. The fact that it loses spark just by bolting it in makes him think the shaft is somehow grounding out the cam position sensor inside the distributor. He said the only distributor to put in is a new Nissan distributor which costs approximately $400. He told him used and rebuilts are junk.
Never did any work on Nissan's but the Nissan tech may be on to something. I know for a fact that certain Jeep models "DO NOT" like aftermarket cam position sensors. I ran into that problem a few years back when I replaced a CPS on a 01 Grand Cherokee. Went back to NAPA twice to exchange it and it still wouldn't run. Got one from Jeep and the car ran fine. Just curious, is the ECM brand new from Nissan or is it a new rebuilt. If so, was the ECM flashed before you installed it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti