Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 AM

202 posts, read 531,133 times

Advertisements

You can get a MAF off the same or similar car in a junkyard, or check craigslist/eBay.

Buy a code scanner and read the CEL yourself, they're like $20. Read the code and then you'll know for sure what is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,340,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
You can get a MAF off the same or similar car in a junkyard, or check craigslist/eBay.

Buy a code scanner and read the CEL yourself, they're like $20. Read the code and then you'll know for sure what is wrong.
Those don't you everything you need to know though, but if you want one and have an Android you can download torque lite for free and get a Bluetooth ELM327 for $11.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,270,401 times
Theres a difference between OE replacement and OEM parts.

At the dealer, your only getting OEM parts, which means they are the only parts that are approved of by the manufacturer.

OEM O2 sensors could run $130+ a piece, Where as OE replacements could run $50. And all cars have multiple O2 sensors so you need to replace all of them at once.

On smaller parts that arent major its not such a big deal. But when you get into crucial parts on the engine it is a huge deal.

The Mass Airflow Sensor is not one your want to go cheap on, but the difference between OEM an OE could be hundreds of dollars.

With major parts like that you should get OEM and youll only get that from the dealer, and the work is guaranteed.

MAFs can fail, just as easily they are clogged. If you have a look at your air filter that should give you a hint.

BTW...when your looking up parts for your car on a website, you have to read everything that it says.

The O2 sensors listed in the first post:Replacement USOS-4000 Oxygen Sensor | Auto Parts Warehouse

That listing tells me that they are universal O2 sensors, they are a replacement, and when I get them I will have to do some soldering and sealing because ALL O2 sensors have a specific harness where as theses pieces of junk just have open wires.

with an OEM part, switching the parts are seamless, put the O2 sensor in and plug it up and thats it.

and Ill just mention that removing old O2 sensors can be a HUGE pain and you may have to drop the whole exhaust system. That usually means cutting old clamps because they rust and wont break free.

BUT if its the MAF, that is a precise electronic part so thats why its so expensive.

Last edited by NewHavensFinest; 01-22-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM

30,235 posts, read 23,684,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, to be fair, it's $35 for the part but the rest is to cover the coffee, donuts, wifi, and TV in the waiting room.
I have found this to be very true. Parts are cheap, (well, except VW and maybe a few others), but the price skyrockets when you consider, "labor" in "parts and labor".

Started to learn a little about engines when I drove airboats...considering they use Cadillac engines, surely learning how to do things on a car wouldn't be that hard...time to learn because these mechanics are killing me.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
lgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Theres a difference between OE replacement and OEM parts.

At the dealer, your only getting OEM parts, which means they are the only parts that are approved of by the manufacturer.

OEM O2 sensors could run $130+ a piece, Where as OE replacements could run $50. And all cars have multiple O2 sensors so you need to replace all of them at once.

On smaller parts that arent major its not such a big deal. But when you get into crucial parts on the engine it is a huge deal.

The Mass Airflow Sensor is not one your want to go cheap on, but the difference between OEM an OE could be hundreds of dollars.

With major parts like that you should get OEM and youll only get that from the dealer, and the work is guaranteed.

MAFs can fail, just as easily they are clogged. If you have a look at your air filter that should give you a hint.
You don't need to replace all O2 sensors especially post cat and yes don't cheap out on a MAF.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,705,280 times
Default Twis

Check you local vocational high school and see if they offer nite courses for the public. Diagnosing problems has actually become simpler since the computers checking performance and can provide a clue as to the problems.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM

1,030 posts, read 4,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
You don't need to replace all O2 sensors especially post cat and yes don't cheap out on a MAF.

Well I drive a Vw So I have to or else something else will break

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM
lgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Well I drive a Vw So I have to or else something else will break
I never understood the cult following for VW, water cooled anyway.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,692,475 times
Is it a Nissan warranty or a 3rd party warranty? Have you contacted the warranty company?

Most likely the $900 number is mostly labor and not the part. Thats basically four hours in and four hours out. Might as well have them do plugs, seals and coolant tubing while the engine is taken apart (and any other maintanence part while the engine is open).

Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM

66 posts, read 144,330 times
You don't need to replace all O2 sensors ever when one goes bad. I replace all my stuff with non OEM things (even on a lexus) and the car runs great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti