U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM

15,296 posts, read 7,153,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We had a Versa as a rental car in Arizona last year. Firstly the material they use to cover the seats give you static shocks over and over again, the interior is cheap and tacky looking. Secondly that engine/transmission, absolute cr*p !! everytime we took it onto a freeway we had it up to 6,000+ revs just to get it up to speed, it has no power to overtake and we pretty much burnt the hell out of the transmission going up the long slow hill up the Kaibab plateau.

IMO forget it !
I rented one earlier this year and had similar expericences. And you're right about the interior too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 PM

13,443 posts, read 15,055,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We had a Versa as a rental car in Arizona last year. Firstly the material they use to cover the seats give you static shocks over and over again, the interior is cheap and tacky looking. Secondly that engine/transmission, absolute cr*p !! everytime we took it onto a freeway we had it up to 6,000+ revs just to get it up to speed, it has no power to overtake and we pretty much burnt the hell out of the transmission going up the long slow hill up the Kaibab plateau.

IMO forget it !
No, that's just pretty much how they're intended to operate. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I can't stand CVT transmissions, and the more underpowered the car the worse they are. They're okay in the V6 Altimas

Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,607,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
It reminds me of a 2011 Ford Fiesta I've rented in LAX. Definitely the worst car I have ever rented.

Not sure if Versa is as bad as Fiesta.
What didn't you like about the Fiesta? And if you hated that, you'll want to kill yourself in a Versa. It's pure junk. I'd check out the Chevy Sonic. It has received great reviews.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM

843 posts, read 1,322,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
What didn't you like about the Fiesta? And if you hated that, you'll want to kill yourself in a Versa. It's pure junk. I'd check out the Chevy Sonic. It has received great reviews.
The other car I am interested in is Mazda 3(2.0 liters, manual transmissin). It's a bit more expensive but more powerful.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,458,797 times
We have a '12 Versa hatchback as our cheap transportation car and it does what it's supposed to very well: get us from point A to point B cheaply, efficiently and with no surprises.

Ours is the previous gen Versa; we test-drove both since the hatchback was a holdover for the '12 model year and I gotta say it's just a better car. I think Nissan really blew it on the redesign.

We got a manual transmission too; it's a fairly zippy and maneuverable car for around town with much better performance than an automatic though it's still no sports car. It's not our ONLY car either... which *might* make me feel better about owning it too.

Anyway, I would buy it again.

Last edited by Chango; 04-19-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,302,435 times
Quote:
I would like to buy a 2 years old used car in mint condition. But not many people sell their relatively new cars unless there's some serious issue.

I'm a big guy, more space is definitely more desirable.
In that case, just buy the older generation Honda Accord (year 2008 - 2012). I am sure you can get a 2009 Accord for around $17,000.

If you want it even cheaper, get the 2003 - 2007 Accord. You can probably get a 2003 Accord for around $10,000.

Basically, you get can a quality used Accord for $10,000 to $17,000 and it has plenty of space that you want and need.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,607,151 times
Quote:
The other car I am interested in is Mazda 3(2.0 liters, manual transmissin). It's a bit more expensive but more powerful.
More expensive because it's bigger. You might want to check out the Focus as well since it's more or less the same car. But really all compact cars today are good aside from the Corolla and Sentra.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM

843 posts, read 1,322,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We have a '12 Versa hatchback as our cheap transportation car and it does what it's supposed to very well: get us from point A to point B cheaply, efficiently and with no surprises.

Ours is the previous gen Versa; we test-drove both since the hatchback was a holdover for the '12 model year and I gotta say it's just a better car. I think Nissan really blew it on the redesign.

We got a manual transmission too; it's a fairly zippy and maneuverable car for around town with much better performance than an automatic though it's still no sports car. It's not our ONLY car either... which *might* make me feel better about owning it too.

Anyway, I would buy it again.
Versa hatchback is slightly more powerful than Versa sedan, and manual transmision is probably better for such a small car. Previous posters complained about Versa with CVT.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,404,338 times
Quote:
I would like to buy a 2 years old used car in mint condition. But not many people sell their relatively new cars unless there's some serious issue.

I'm a big guy, more space is definitely more desirable.
That hasn't been true for quite a few yew years now. Lots of people lease cars short term and turn them in because they want the newest latest thing or some other superficial reason. Just go to a reputable (ha ha) dealership and look for certified or off lease vehicles.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM

12,904 posts, read 18,458,797 times
Quote:
Versa hatchback is slightly more powerful than Versa sedan, and manual transmision is probably better for such a small car. Previous posters complained about Versa with CVT.
New technology isn't always a good thing. It's 2013 and I can still shift gears better than a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti