U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 PM

843 posts, read 1,321,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
New technology isn't always a good thing. It's 2013 and I can still shift gears better than a computer.
Manual transmissions deliver a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,051,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
The other car I am interested in is Mazda 3(2.0 liters, manual transmissin). It's a bit more expensive but more powerful.
how about the Mazda 2? a bit smaller than the 3, but probably one of the most fun to drive cars in it's class

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 PM

3,968 posts, read 4,396,818 times
A manual gearbox will get the most out of those small engines.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 AM

48 posts, read 76,035 times
They are ok.

For $16,000 I would recommend something more refined. In my opinion $16k is hard to swallow on a small cheapish car with a CVT - CVTs paired with small engines are usually horrid, at least in Nissans.

$16,000 could buy you a 30k-40k mile 2012 Mazda6 coming off fleet (enterprise car sales, hertz2buy)
Heck, a Chrysler 200 is a much nicer car than the Versa.

Lots of options out there, just keep asking for advice.

One poster replied about a used Honda Accord - that's a much nicer car than a Versa. Just keep in mind that certain V6 powered Acuras and Hondas have known transmission failures. For the Honda Accord, its mainly older Accords, but transmission failures do happen up to the years 2005. A 4-cylinder Accord is a very nice fit if you are worried about auto repairs.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
how about the Mazda 2? a bit smaller than the 3, but probably one of the most fun to drive cars in it's class
What makes Mazda2 special?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Fox View Post
They are ok.

For $16,000 I would recommend something more refined. In my opinion $16k is hard to swallow on a small cheapish car with a CVT - CVTs paired with small engines are usually horrid, at least in Nissans.

$16,000 could buy you a 30k-40k mile 2012 Mazda6 coming off fleet (enterprise car sales, hertz2buy)
Heck, a Chrysler 200 is a much nicer car than the Versa.

Lots of options out there, just keep asking for advice.

One poster replied about a used Honda Accord - that's a much nicer car than a Versa. Just keep in mind that certain V6 powered Acuras and Hondas have known transmission failures. For the Honda Accord, its mainly older Accords, but transmission failures do happen up to the years 2005. A 4-cylinder Accord is a very nice fit if you are worried about auto repairs.
Buying a used car is more complicated and risky. I never know if a particular used car is really in good condition. The warraty comes with new cars gives me a peace of mind as well.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 AM

7,303 posts, read 22,732,022 times
For the money and not much more, I would look at a base model 2013 Sentra. Its a much more substantial car.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 AM

Well, there are some good extended warranties out there. Most extended warranties are junk, you want the warranties that are backed by the manufacture.

For example, Hondacare is a good warranty. Someone at work had one of their catalytic converters striped off her CUV. This was during the middle of the working shift, right in the parking lot! To my surprise they covered it.

I also hear good things about Ford's extended warranty.

Hyundai has a bad reputation for denying warranty work, particularly for 2nd owners of cars that still have time on the factory warranty.

Regardless, if you like the Versa then that's good. For that amount of money you can get a MUCH nicer mid-size car.

good luck

Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM

3,055 posts, read 4,350,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Although we felt pretty gay.
Maybe you just hadn't seen your friend in a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
What didn't you like about the Fiesta? And if you hated that, you'll want to kill yourself in a Versa. It's pure junk. I'd check out the Chevy Sonic. It has received great reviews.
Every review I've read rails against the DCT transmission's performance. That might have been it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ours is the previous gen Versa; we test-drove both since the hatchback was a holdover for the '12 model year and I gotta say it's just a better car. I think Nissan really blew it on the redesign.
I've read this in reviews as well. The previous gen Versa was praised for its ride quality and interior (compared to the new one). Pretty sad when a car that debuted in 2007 is deemed better than its replacement.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 AM

^ so let me get this right, you gave judgment of the Fiesta because of reviews, you have never driven one and didn't even disclose in your post that you have never drove one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti