Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,710 times

Advertisements

I used to own a used Saturn, and I'd say I'm fed up with used cars. I don't know how to fix cars and the cost of repairs adds up fast.

So, I've decided to buy a brand new car with around $16,000. Nissan Versa seems to be very affordable and of great value. I am willing to consider other Japense cars of simiar price and value. I need a car to commute on a daily basis (15 minutes each way).

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:51 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
The new Versa is nice. I would also suggest the 2013 Hyundai Accent. Its a great car and very affordable. My wife has one after a life of refusing to even look at a Hyundai.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
I would buy a 2-3 year old Altima for around $16k. Its still practically new and is bigger and a bit nicer, and even with 50k mi on it, it will still be in great shape. Also, a used Japanese car is a much different ownership experience than a used Saturn - much more reliable overall.

I would also look at the Hyundais - they have some great cars with lots of features for the money.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I would buy a 2-3 year old Altima for around $16k. Its still practically new and is bigger and a bit nicer, and even with 50k mi on it, it will still be in great shape. Also, a used Japanese car is a much different ownership experience than a used Saturn - much more reliable overall.

I would also look at the Hyundais - they have some great cars with lots of features for the money.
I would like to buy a 2 years old used car in mint condition. But not many people sell their relatively new cars unless there's some serious issue.

I'm a big guy, more space is definitely more desirable.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
We had a Versa as a rental car in Arizona last year. Firstly the material they use to cover the seats give you static shocks over and over again, the interior is cheap and tacky looking. Secondly that engine/transmission, absolute cr*p !! everytime we took it onto a freeway we had it up to 6,000+ revs just to get it up to speed, it has no power to overtake and we pretty much burnt the hell out of the transmission going up the long slow hill up the Kaibab plateau.

IMO forget it !

Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
But not many people sell their relatively new cars unless there's some serious issue.
This is categorically false.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We had a Versa as a rental car in Arizona last year. Firstly the material they use to cover the seats give you static shocks over and over again, the interior is cheap and tacky looking. Secondly that engine/transmission, absolute cr*p !! everytime we took it onto a freeway we had it up to 6,000+ revs just to get it up to speed, it has no power to overtake and we pretty much burnt the hell out of the transmission going up the long slow hill up the Kaibab plateau.

IMO forget it !
It reminds me of a 2011 Ford Fiesta I've rented in LAX. Definitely the worst car I have ever rented.

Not sure if Versa is as bad as Fiesta.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:58 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
You will hate it.

15 minute commute is not going to make a huge difference in your gas consumption. I would take the advice up top and look for a gently used Altima... way more bang for the buck.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,560,539 times
Poor, stupid people car. Try to avoid them on the road, they're dangerous.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
A few years ago a friend of mine flew into Denver and we planned to take my truck to the X Games in Aspen the following day. That evening, my serpentine belt snapped and left my truck dead in the street. I needed to figure out the cheapest way to make the trip, so I rented a Nissan Versa. We had all our bags in the trunk, each snowboard standing vertical in the back seat, and the two of us in front, rubbing elbows. We drove 100 miles each way on a snowpacked highway and the car performed flawlessly!

I'd never buy one, but I can attest to them being good cars. Although we felt pretty gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti