Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Aug 20 (Reuters) - The redesigned 2015 Nissan Titan pickup will get a new Cummins V8 turbo-diesel engine, setting up a head-to-head match next year with Chrysler's recently announced Ram 1500 EcoDiesel.

'15 Nissan Titan pickup will get new Cummins diesel engine | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
ugh... Titan, Ugh, V-8 Diesel...

Why in the world can't the USA get the excellent diesel light trucks that the REST of the world gets ???..

4 and 6 cyl PROVEN cheap, economical, ROBUST, and reliable

Oh yeah... we have EPA and CARB (leeches of Gov proportion)

We get the 'plastic' pizzaz, totally unworkable trucks...

Stick with a 4BT conversion, thank goodness for Wonderbread trucks
Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
I just want that engine in my Silverado.

I do see this being a bit of a game changer in the 1/2 market though.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
It's about time Nissan did SOMETHING with the Titan. 'Long in the tooth' doesn't even begin to describe it, and that's in a market segment dominated by makes that aren't exactly known for cranking out new designs every 2 years like their Asian counterparts.

Kinda weird how the whole thing worked out with Dodge. It's such an automatic response to think Cummins = Dodge (or vice versa). But even though it's a whole new engine for Cummins, given their rep, it should be OK. I'm more interested in seeing how the diesel in the Dodge will work out. Anyone know anything about VM Motori, especially their diesel history?

Mike

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I just want that engine in my Silverado.

I do see this being a bit of a game changer in the 1/2 market though.
I don't think it will be a game changer. It will put attention on the Titan, which has faded to obscurity. It would be more of a game changer if they had built a 30 MPG half ton instead of yet another over engined half ton.

This doesn't help Nissan with meeting CAFE standards either.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't think it will be a game changer. It will put attention on the Titan, which has faded to obscurity. It would be more of a game changer if they had built a 30 MPG half ton instead of yet another over engined half ton.

This doesn't help Nissan with meeting CAFE standards either.
I dunno, 1/2 diesel has been a want for many for a long time. Dodge is introducing a small one that is a crap shoot on reliability and power.

This thing will have over 500 ft lbs torque and this will be desired by many. Heck, I've always been an American truck guy, no brand loyalty though. I would not overlook the diesel Titan though next go around.

I would love to see a 30 MPG half ton, heck, even low 20's as an average but with power. The pentastar Ram does OK, but severely lacks power. The new diesel 1/2 Ram will also be underpowered.

Power and lower MPG's just go hand in hand with a truck.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 AM

29,437 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Odd how they are calling it redesigned.. more like being designed. We are so far behind right now on that program it's unbelievable. Hopefully powertrain and engine development are way ahead of us.
A Cummins is by far my favorite diesel.. in the inline form.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
The new Titan will be just that, a new truck. Considering Diaz, who is head of Titan development, came from Chrysler's Dodge truck, the probabilities are high that it will look more like a Ram as they all are starting to look these days. The Cummins diesel is part of Cummins LDECC program that is partially funded by your tax dollars. LDECC means Light Duty Efficient Clean Combustion engine. It is a CGI block with aluminum OHC heads. It uses an EGR system and does require urea. The piezo injectors are feed by high pressure common rail. This is a 90 degree block but is very light for a diesel coming in just over 700 lbs. The expected fuel mileage, yet to be determined, is around the upper 20's hiway and lower 20's town. It's too far from being a test mule to do anything more than speculate but it looks good on paper. This could be the game changer Nissan so desperately needs.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
The new engine is a turbocharged 5.0-liter V8 rated at more than 300 horsepower, with torque of around 550 pounds-feet, the company said. A version of the engine also will be marketed by Cummins to other commercial truck makers.
I do hope other truck manufacturers will jump on board of the new Cummins, sooner than later...

Also, I hope to see more SUV's getting diesel engines.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I dunno, 1/2 diesel has been a want for many for a long time. Dodge is introducing a small one that is a crap shoot on reliability and power.

This thing will have over 500 ft lbs torque and this will be desired by many. Heck, I've always been an American truck guy, no brand loyalty though. I would not overlook the diesel Titan though next go around.

I would love to see a 30 MPG half ton, heck, even low 20's as an average but with power. The pentastar Ram does OK, but severely lacks power. The new diesel 1/2 Ram will also be underpowered.

Power and lower MPG's just go hand in hand with a truck.
I don't know about that. What Nissan is probably doing is going all-in on the next Titan and making it some 3/4-ton capable truck like the Tundra. Toyota pretty much had to do that with their only full-size offering. When I was truck shopping last month, I did see a couple of Tundras on the lot at the Ford dealer I was at. My 08 SuperCrew is enough of a pain to park so no telling how awful a 2010 Tundra would have been to cram into my parking space. Not everyone will want that Titan if my guess is correct.

As for the Dodge having that 3.0 diesel, it will do exactly what they slated it for. Good MPGs, people hauling and some lighter towing. If you need heavier, that truck is offered already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti