Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM

65 posts, read 256,971 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am having an issue with the A/C on a 2002 Infiniti QX4. It is blowing fine, but the air is not cold at all.

Someone has told me I should try to recharge the refrigerant, but my understanding is that that shouldn't really be needed unless there was another underlying problem. How can I determine whether it is a problem with the compressor or something else? I suppose I need to check for a leak/blockage but I am not so sure exactly how to go about that.

Again, the "volume of air" being blown is fine, but the air is not cold whatsoever... Could someone please advise me where to start to try and workup what the problem. Is there some type of diagnostic I could run from the A/C panel?

2002 Infiniti QX4. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
OK. So if you want to try to diagnose yourself for fun/interest it's very doable with a few inexpensive tools. You might be better off taking it to a shop but even they are wrong sometimes (which is got me started in working on my ac myself). Here is some background info, which is needed to be understood before troubleshooting:

First, learn the ac cycle and the accompanying equipment in your car. It's very simple (with a twist).

1) Starts with compressor - this compresses the refrigerant from a low pressure to a high pressure high temperature gas.

2) From the compressor (small line) the high pressure hot gas is routed to the condenser - typically on the front of the car (looks like the radiator, normally behind or in front of it). The condenser cools the high pressure gas into a high pressure liquid and routes it to the expansion valve (this line is also referred to as the liquid line).

3) There are two types of expansion valves. One is a fixed orifice type, located typically inside the liquid line itself, a very simple plastic/metal metering device. Another type is the Thermal Expansion Valve aka TXV. Both serve a similar purpose.

4) From the expansion valve the refrigerant flows into the evaporator where it has expanded and due to physical laws of nature (aka Magic) lowers the temp and air from inside the cabin flows over the evaporator and into the cabin.

5) From the evaporator, the refrigerant is a low pressure gas and goes back into the compressor to be compressed again repeating the cycle.

Note: There is also an accumulator (orifice tube system) after the evaporator and before the compressor on fixed orifice systems or a receiver/dryer between the condenser and expansion valve on TXV systems. A quick look shows the QX4 has a TXV. The receiver/dryer serves as a means of continually supplying the expansion valve (TXV) with refrigerant.

OK, so now that you have got the basic theory, you can see there are many different parts that go into this. You have stated that the blower motor in your car works fine, just no cold air. So that means refrigerant is not being cycled through the evaporator.

So, the first basic question is, does the compressor come on when you turn on the unit on the climate control system? You will hear a click outside the car and the clutch on the compressor will pull in and rotate the unit.

There are various flow charts available that help you pinpoint the cause, or at least get a basic idea. Knowing the components and what they do is a great start.

Example, it's possible the compressor isn't turning on. If so, there are numerous reasons from low refrigerant level to a bad high or low pressure sensor to a bad radiator fan relay to a bad climate control button or relay or wiring, the list goes on and on. In most cases they are fairly easy to test, either by using a multimeter to verify 12v at the harness or jumping the sensor, you just have to know what and where to look.

If the compressor turns on it means there is refrigerant in the system (most likely) but maybe a blockage in the system, or the compressor is not outputting anymore due to age, again numerous factors...

Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 PM

wheelsup ("positive rate; gear up"), thanks SO MUCH for the time you spent to educate me on this process. I really don't even know what to say, other than a sincere "thank you."

The compressor does clearly seem to be coming on. When the A/C is off, there is nothing active to see, but when I turn on the A/C I can observe the clutch rotating.

If you still have any time for this topic, could you please advise me on my next step to do?

Again, really, thanks so much for the detailed post!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
You're welcome!

OK so if you are positive the clutch is rotating (and not just the outer pulley drive wheel) that is good news to start (sort of). Best way to confirm this 100% is to sit under the car and watch the compressor inner area, while someone in the car turns the A/C button on.

Here is a video of the clutch engaging.

A/C Compressor Not blowing cold air , Clutch Engaging, A/C Recharge - YouTube

Next step would be to grab a gauge set from Harbor Freight for $45 w/ your 20% coupon, and get some pressure readings with the unit on. Without a gauge set we are purely guessing. To be honest, even with a gauge set we are guessing....

Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 PM

Alright, thanks for that follow-up.

Here is what I can see about the compressor operating. I will take a closer look from under the vehicle when I have someone to toggle the A/C on and off.

Compressor - YouTube

I will get the gauges and see what the readings are and post back.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 PM

So I really just kind of out of the blue thought to come back and report what has happened with this issue. I don't want you loosing sleep out of curiosity over it. It kind of resolved itself. I didn't do anything but the temp if "acceptable" now.

It does, however, now makes this sort of "knocking" sound when the a/c is on. It's pretty obvious. I even turn off the a/c at drive through windows just to shut it up. But it blows cold so...

Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I bet you had hot air blended with normally working a/c one. Maybe something was not set up right in climate controls, or air blender door stuck, then it sort of sorted itself out.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 PM

I like it when things sort themselves out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti