Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to rag on Nissan ....but here's a couple of points:

1. 2014 Sentra my coworker has doesn't measure up well against the competition, Hyundai and Kia in particular. It's very stripped down and doesn't offer simple things like USB port, XM Radio and much more.

2. Another coworker has a 2012 Altima (2dr)....okay car but totally impractical and you need to be double jointed to even think about taking on the back seat.

3. 2013 Maxima I drove for a week really didn't impress. I think the transmission (CVT?) held the car back some. Also the gas mileage wasn't good at all.....21-22mpg combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 11,761 times
Don't know about newer Nissans, but our second car is a 99 Nissan Altima. The car has been very reliable, drives smooth, handles well, and has great acceleration.

Nissan was never under my radar until we got this car. I like the design of the current Altima as well. Don't know if I would get one though, with all the negatives I've been hearing about it's cvt transmission.

Down here in South Florida, Altimas and Maximas seem to be very common as Camry, Accord and Sonota. So from what I see, it doesn't look like Nissan is less popular than other makes and models in similar class.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
why?
What is "Nissan"?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marj25 View Post
Don't know about newer Nissans, but our second car is a 99 Nissan Altima. The car has been very reliable, drives smooth, handles well, and has great acceleration.

Nissan was never under my radar until we got this car. I like the design of the current Altima as well. Don't know if I would get one though, with all the negatives I've been hearing about it's cvt transmission.

Down here in South Florida, Altimas and Maximas seem to be very common as Camry, Accord and Sonota. So from what I see, it doesn't look like Nissan is less popular than other makes and models in similar class.
The first (93-97) and second (98-01) generation Altimas had the KA24DE engine and were very reliable, aside from the intake manifold gasket issue that plagued the engine series. Otherwise, it was a stout engine. I don't have as much faith in the QR25, but my sister's 2005 Altima is apparently chugging along just fine with over 140K on it.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Also Remember that, Nissan Damn near went belly up in 1998 before Renault came along and infused money into Nissan.
The mid to late 90'S Sentra, 200sx, 240sx, and maxima were a complete joke in the American market.
The 240 was under powered, The Sentra and 200Sx were to small and under powered. Potently the 240 could have been a great car, but putting that weak engine in the American market killed sales. The Maxima suffered from some serious reliability issues mixed with poor sales if I remember correctly
You want to know the real reason why Nissan get no Love
The 2002-2007 Altima is joke, google oil consumption Nissan Altima.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
My Altima has been the epitome of reliability. I also think most cars on the road look alike and it's been that way for many years. I think designers must not be allowed to try anything different. Way back in the dark ages, cars could be identified easily and had their own personality.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:37 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,910 times
My father swears by Nissan. He has had 3 Maximas (a 1997,2007,2012), In addition to a 1993 Sentra, which was passed on to me.I drove it until the front end came apart in 2004. Even when my step mother's 2005 Altima had problems, Nissan took care of her. Personally, I don't like the styling on some of the 2008-2012 models, but I don't think it is a bad brand by any means. And some of the new redesigns are pretty nice.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I'm not going to rag on Nissan ....but here's a couple of points:

1. 2014 Sentra my coworker has doesn't measure up well against the competition, Hyundai and Kia in particular. It's very stripped down and doesn't offer simple things like USB port, XM Radio and much more.

2. Another coworker has a 2012 Altima (2dr)....okay car but totally impractical and you need to be double jointed to even think about taking on the back seat.

3. 2013 Maxima I drove for a week really didn't impress. I think the transmission (CVT?) held the car back some. Also the gas mileage wasn't good at all.....21-22mpg combined.

Wow is this how people choose cars these days? lol When i buy a new car i research about the engine and transmission and other mechanical things that matter. I can get an aftermarket stereo with usb installed for $200. Reminds me of people not buying a house because the inside is painted a weird color

Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
The Z series is now long in the tooth and boring along with it's sister car.

The GTR is just meh with some more meh. Sure the perforamnce is impressive, but just meh to look at.

The Frontier is now long in the tooth with no real progressive refinement.

The Titan is a titanic ****ball for a full size truck, between blend doors that break, diffs that self destruct and headers that are made out of pot metal there's no reason to buy this truck.

I only see poor people driving Altimas for some reason

The Versa is also long in the tooth

Now Infinty has taken design to a whole different level. The flagship sedan looks like somethign one would see on the smurfs.

IMO Nissan is one of those companies that is following the path of Mistubishi. Soon they'll be chasing consumers with sub 600 credit scores

Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Because of posts I read on this forum, I will likely purchase an Xterra rather than a Jeep Wrangler as my career path is almost certain to take me into areas with inclement weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti