Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 PM

442 posts, read 1,575,304 times

Advertisements

KBB says this is a $11-14000 vehicle fair market value, so why do you think it's on here for $6800?? It's beautiful, I'd love to go scoop it up & would do so ASAP but whats up with that price?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Good find wheelsup

OP take the highlander.
From the pics it looks really good. Shiny paint, clean interior.
Even has a tow hitch.
I didnt know highlander comes in 4cyc. But that's even better.

That looks like a really good price. I don't think you get in any lower, but you can always try.

6000 drive out today. Say it like that.

If I was in the market for a cheap reliable SUV. I d scoop this up.

I am a big fan of toyota product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 PM

77 posts, read 134,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I think the OP is somewhat set on that Xterra. I suspect she will buy it and pay way more than it is worth.
I suspect you havent read the thread.

I'd also suggest offering $6k drive away. Tell them that's what your budget is and you are not able to go over it. Tell them you are pretty keen on an xterra but the highlander looks like it would suit your needs and you'll take it today if they can offer you a more reasonable price.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM

15,445 posts, read 21,289,268 times
Miss Ashley,

My daughter has a 2003 Nissan Frontier with the same V6 engine. Along with the Xterras during these years, two very important problems with these trucks included:

1. Corroded and cracked fuel sending units (on top of the fuel tank). This can result in a die-in-the-road or no-start condition. Repair in the Frontier requires the removal of the fuel tank (not an easy job.) I'm not sure what is entailed in changing this unit in the Xterra.

2. Bad distributors that can lock down down and also result in a dangerous die-in-the-road or a no-start condition. If you are lucky, there will be no damage to the camshaft gear that drives the distributor but if you are unlucky, you can end up with a destroyed cam gear. That is a very expensive engine repair.

My daughter's distributor simply quit working when the small pin that "pins" the gear on the bottom of the distributor shaft sheared off causing the small gear to spin freely on the shaft. I changed out her complete distributor for about $200 but if you had to have it done, count on more than twice to three times that amount.

Some of the Xterras and Frontiers (1999-early 2000s?) were recalled for the sending units and the distributors so it may be something you want to check on with this particular vehicle.

Also, with 136,00 miles on that engine I would certainly ask about when the timing belt was last changed (if ever it was). I think the belt is due a change at around 100,00 miles on these vehicles. You do not want to be driving when the timing belt breaks. This engine is an "interference" motor in that, if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, it is possible for the pistons to come up high enough in the cylinders to bend the valves. This is VERY expensive engine repair that could run into the thousands of dollars for a professional garage repair.

I'm sorry that I do not have all the specifics on the 2000 Xterra. I offer this information only as a basis for your own research. At any rate, best of luck.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 PM

Does anybody know anything about Iszuzu Rodeos? I see alot of thoughs but am not familiar with the make..never known anyone personally that drives one.

I'm still excited about that highlander that was linked in this thread, but I'd like to get some opinions about the KBB value vs. sticker price. Is there anything to be concerned about there?

Thanks again to everyone who's replied to this thread. I do appreciate all help, pointers, etc. very much.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 PM

15,445 posts, read 21,289,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Does anybody know anything about Iszuzu Rodeos? I see alot of thoughs but am not familiar with the make..never known anyone personally that drives one.

I'm still excited about that highlander that was linked in this thread, but I'd like to get some opinions about the KBB value vs. sticker price. Is there anything to be concerned about there?

Thanks again to everyone who's replied to this thread. I do appreciate all help, pointers, etc. very much.
Sorry. We've never had an Izuzu in our family.

I would recommend that you Google or Yahoo something like "19?? Izuzu Rodeo problems and complaints" and see what you come up with. Any really bad problems problems will quickly surface.

Again, good luck.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info on your experience with the Xterra/Frontier. I really do love the look of the vehicle, but the MPG is starting to turn me off so I am considering other options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sorry. We've never had an Izuzu in our family.

I would recommend that you Google or Yahoo something like "19?? Izuzu Rodeo problems and complaints" and see what you come up with. Any really bad problems problems will quickly surface.

Again, good luck.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
I'm about to purchase a 2000 Nissan Xterra XE with 136k miles, 3.3L engine and 2WD used from a Honda dealership. I don't know much about vehicles, I dont have a husband or a dad so I just wanted to get some opinions from people on this forum to see what someone more experienced might have to say.
The sticker price is $5,000 and about $6500 after dealer fees, taxes, etc. CarFax shows its been in one recent accident, front end damage, but they've had it repaired and to the untrained eye, I don't really see any damage.

I was just doing some research and was wondering if this is a good price? KBB says $2400-3900 is the high 'fair market' from a dealer, anything above that is 'red zone' (whatever that means). I checked TrueCar.com and AutoTrader and most are selling for anywhere from $3400-$6900; Craigslist has the better prices from dealers and private sellers from $2500-4000.

I've read reviews on Edmunds and CarComplaints and it sounds like most people love this vehicle and they seem to hold their value really well. I noticed also they seem to fly off the lots quick.
$5000 is way too high for one from that age, particularly with 2wd and crash damage. I'd be looking for $3000-$3500. At least the miles are low. The redesigned ones in '05 seem a lot more "solid" feeling from what I've seen (I have an '05 4x4). The '05 and up is a great rig-the V6 has plenty of power and tows my ATV trailer just fine. Mileage is ~20 on mixed rural roads with my 45 mile one-way commute.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
XTerra's are capable off-road cars but you are buying a 2WD which means it has a very limited market come re-sale time. I would avoid it especially at the price it's offered at. If you want an SUV get a 4Runner, you'll pay more but especially of that vintage they were decent, reliable, cars and not too complex, and it will lose very little when you go to sell it.
I'd go with the X over the 4Runner. They had a lot of engine and brake problems. IMO the X is more vehicle for less money. You aren't paying for the Toyota fanboy inflation.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
KBB says this is a $11-14000 vehicle fair market value, so why do you think it's on here for $6800?? It's beautiful, I'd love to go scoop it up & would do so ASAP but whats up with that price?
$11-14K for an '06, 2wd? That's nuts! I'd think the price in the link was fair for that. 4x4 maybe $8k.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Miss Ashley,

My daughter has a 2003 Nissan Frontier with the same V6 engine. Along with the Xterras during these years, two very important problems with these trucks included:

1. Corroded and cracked fuel sending units (on top of the fuel tank). This can result in a die-in-the-road or no-start condition. Repair in the Frontier requires the removal of the fuel tank (not an easy job.) I'm not sure what is entailed in changing this unit in the Xterra.

2. Bad distributors that can lock down down and also result in a dangerous die-in-the-road or a no-start condition. If you are lucky, there will be no damage to the camshaft gear that drives the distributor but if you are unlucky, you can end up with a destroyed cam gear. That is a very expensive engine repair.

My daughter's distributor simply quit working when the small pin that "pins" the gear on the bottom of the distributor shaft sheared off causing the small gear to spin freely on the shaft. I changed out her complete distributor for about $200 but if you had to have it done, count on more than twice to three times that amount.

Some of the Xterras and Frontiers (1999-early 2000s?) were recalled for the sending units and the distributors so it may be something you want to check on with this particular vehicle.

Also, with 136,00 miles on that engine I would certainly ask about when the timing belt was last changed (if ever it was). I think the belt is due a change at around 100,00 miles on these vehicles. You do not want to be driving when the timing belt breaks. This engine is an "interference" motor in that, if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, it is possible for the pistons to come up high enough in the cylinders to bend the valves. This is VERY expensive engine repair that could run into the thousands of dollars for a professional garage repair.

I'm sorry that I do not have all the specifics on the 2000 Xterra. I offer this information only as a basis for your own research. At any rate, best of luck.
Did the V6 of that year have timing belts? The newer ones have chains-one of the selling points on the motor and entire vehicle IMO. They didn't cheap out in manufacturing and saddle the owner with expensive maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti