U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 10:44 AM

13,642 posts, read 8,659,415 times

Advertisements

[quote=victimofGM;52400622] Having the Maxima alongside the Altima seems redundant./QUOTE]

Not sure redundant is the word. It's just that Maxima's price starts creeping into the Lexus category. For $35K you might be able to pick up the ES. Toyota has the same problem. Avalon when loaded is not much cheaper than the ES.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 11:00 AM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
[quote=HappyRider;52401379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Having the Maxima alongside the Altima seems redundant./QUOTE]

Not sure redundant is the word. It's just that Maxima's price starts creeping into the Lexus category. For $35K you might be able to pick up the ES. Toyota has the same problem. Avalon when loaded is not much cheaper than the ES.
Itís about the same size as the Altima but with slightly less passenger space than the Altima. Having the Altima in V6 and fully loaded puts it at about the same as the Maxima. Even their styling is very similar.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM

158 posts, read 39,974 times
Sales are plummeting, production at US plants has been cut way back. My local dealer has yard signs up on every piece of property they own ( sales lot, service, used cars, and separate storage facility) that offer 20% off MSRP on Rogues, 30% on Altimas. They try to get credit approved for any mammal that can fog a mirror, in order to move new product. A friend of the family is a service writer at one of their dealers. She had a constant flow of warranty and customer pay CVTs getting yanked and replaced, with the cores heading right for the dumpster, as they are not worth rebuilding......................GO NISSAN, I gotta' get me one of them, LOL.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:07 PM

2,582 posts, read 684,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Sales are plummeting, production at US plants has been cut way back. My local dealer has yard signs up on every piece of property they own ( sales lot, service, used cars, and separate storage facility) that offer 20% off MSRP on Rogues, 30% on Altimas. They try to get credit approved for any mammal that can fog a mirror, in order to move new product. A friend of the family is a service writer at one of their dealers. She had a constant flow of warranty and customer pay CVTs getting yanked and replaced, with the cores heading right for the dumpster, as they are not worth rebuilding......................GO NISSAN, I gotta' get me one of them, LOL.
Nissan Rouge is one of the 10 best selling SUVs.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ing-car-267949

Old 07-05-2018, 12:16 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,454,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They seem to use the Maxima as a precursor to the following mode year Altima.

As for the Mitsubishi/Nissan platform sharing, I agree it’s a bit redundant, but if they can distinguish the cars enough they could point Mitsubishi at the bad credit low income basic transportation and rental car market and point Nissan at the Honda/Toyota/Hyundai market.

A lot of people also don’t realize that Nissan/Renault is fourth largest car manufacturer in the world.

Nissans tack has always been cheaper faster more raw Toyota.

The cars are generally fine and reliable (first gen CVTs notwithstanding). I’ve owned several.

I leased a 16 Altima through Uber for a few months with only 10,000 miles on it, and I couldn’t wait to return it!!

The car had some pretty good get up and go, but the car already felt old and dated when it was pretty much still a brand new car. The CVT drone was annoying as hell too.

Quality of materials were cheap and flimsy. The ride quality was atrocious, as was the engine refinement.

Man o man the road noise was just as bad! The Altima is no quiet vehicle.

You can get a way better sedan in a Hyundai or Kia thesedays than a Nissan product. The Sentra is even worse! My friend had one as a rental for a weekend and he let me drive it, that thing was horrible!

Basically a smaller Altima and is worse X 2.

The Nissans from the 90’s were way better and when the company still had a good reputation.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM

6,107 posts, read 3,266,484 times
By my eyeball test here in SW WA/Portland area it seems relatively rare to see any Nissan, newer or older. Just the odd Frontier or 350/370z or a Leaf charging up outside of a store. Only current import brand I see less of is Mitsubishi.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,142,724 times
Drove a rental Murano in Chicago for a week. Impressed. I don't understand why they can't have a headlight setting that will turn them on and off when the vehicle is started/turned off.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:37 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,466,955 times
Nissan? I trust em about as far as I can throw em. I worked for Nissan for 4 years. The warranty repairs on those were ridiculous. I'm talking ALL models... Maxima, Sentra, Altima, XTerra, etc. Just lots of problems in general.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM

11,316 posts, read 5,839,816 times
I'm a Hertz Five Star. I rent "F" class cars. I usually take the Altima. I'd never buy one but they're fine as basic transportation. I'm 6'2". I fit in it. It's underpowered and strained when you need acceleration but it's not horrible. I think they're better than the stripped Camry sitting next to it.

Compact crossovers are totally off my radar screen. I'm aware that the Rogue has been in the upper end of the top-10 vehicles sold behind the Big 3 full size pickups. I assumed it was based on price and bang for the buck against the RAV4 and CR-V which have that giant marketing/brand advantage. The RAV4 I've had as rentals were awful. I haven't driven a CR-V in almost 20 years. I'm guessing Nissan doesn't have the same brand stigma issue as the Korean cars so it does fine when people are buying on price.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Invested in my nissan altima and have far less challenges then I did with my grand Cherokee. Loved the drive of my jeep but man oh man my nissan has been a huge cost saver. Go Nissan
Sorry to read that some had challenges with warranty items. My shop tended to everyone of the items. Guess they stood by the brand. Just know that if it works and saves over time..it's done it's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or