Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:56 AM

12,629 posts, read 14,757,130 times

Advertisements

I have a 2009 Nissan Rogue here and I've had this problem several times now with my car losing/decreasing acceleration after about 2+ hrs of highway driving. THE WORST being yesterday. I drove 3.5 hrs of surface street and highway driving. When in my last 20-30 min of driving (highway), I couldn't get higher than 60 mph anymore. It was scary getting slower and slower when my foot's on the pedal and I'm pressing down more to try to get it to move!

ALSO, the scariest was when I was finally getting off the freeway offramp. After finally stopping at the red light, then trying to move again, it wouldn't move for several seconds with my foot pressing down on the pedal and this happened for the rest of the 5 more stoplights till I got home. It was dangerous & very scary, but I made it home into my garage, thank God! I'll have to see what I'll have to do about this. I don't really have extra $$$ lying around, but something has to be done NOW! I'll have to see exactly what my mileage is.

I Googled my problem and the 1st thing I clicked on has this link apparently of numerous people having the same problem. Looks like cars with CVT transmissions are no good. Many have called the Nissan dealership without getting help. A petition is also going around for drivers to sign.

Has this same thing happened to you and if so, what did you or anyone else out there do?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...31559_ds550083

- AND -

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...57261_ds925462
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:52 PM

No one's gone through this?!

UPDATE: Went to my dealership. They have to order a couple of kits/parts & will call me when they're in. When I go back to have them installed, it will take all day, they said, so this is a major job.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
I was going to say, probably related to CVT. I am not a fan. Don't know what to tell you, can you drive a stick shift? I prefer them!

Wouldn't buy a CVT equipped car for half of MSRP. That's just me though.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but, I don't think anyone here can tell you anything you don't already know.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Thanks for posting.

No I just thought that since Nissans are one of the most popular car makers out there, tons of people would be posting about how they've had similar experiences, etc.

Oh well!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:51 PM

16,829 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Get the CVT transmission flushed.
FLUSHED. Not just drain/filled.

It's an easy and relatively cheap "fix."

I can pretty much guarantee you this will solve it. No, you do not need to replace the transmission.
The fluid is worn, and gets too hot, thus losing its lubricating properties, causing the final bearing to "slip," resulting in loss of power after extended driving at higher speeds.

That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I was going to say, probably related to CVT. I am not a fan. Don't know what to tell you, can you drive a stick shift? I prefer them!

Sorry to be unhelpful, but, I don't think anyone here can tell you anything you don't already know.
It is related to the CVT. Just needs a fluid flush. Lots of poor folks get sucked into buying whole new transmissions after multiple trips to the dealer/mechanic.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 AM

Thanks a lot. I get my auto work done TODAY & I'll test it by going on a long drive probably. If something happens, I'll see what else to do next.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:06 AM

669 posts, read 571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

My Nissan Quest (2013) has been trouble free for 198,000 miles. Just. Saying. Regular maintance btw

Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks a lot. I get my auto work done TODAY & I'll test it by going on a long drive probably. If something happens, I'll see what else to do next.
Make sure to emphasize that they change out ALL of the fluid. One drain/fill only gets half of the fluid out.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:41 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,388,522 times
To the OP, when was the last time you had your Tranny flushed? My understanding is that you need to have it flushed every 30K miles. If you don't, you are asking for problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti