U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 12:51 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,819,572 times

Advertisements

2003 Infiniti G35 AWD

Purchased new.

I was with the fellow when he picked up his new 2003 Infinity G35 4 door sedan AWD.

Beautiful car.

Car was for is wife. Only driven in warm weather (two home folks). Always garaged. Normal maintenance at Infiniti dealership.

Now (2018) the car at 93,000 miles went into "limp mode". Taken to repair facility. Blown head gasket I am told. Engine no good was the diagnosis. Car being sold for parts or to anyone who wants to put in another engine or repair.

Let's just state that this is the last Infiniti for this owner. No more Nissan anything for this family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 02:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
I'm not following why one would junk an otherwise good car just because it needs a head gasket replacement. Better DIY mechanics replace their own head gaskets for a few hundred in parts.

Of course the $tealer will quote you a mint to do the job, but a good indy shop would repair this in a cost-effective way.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,819,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not following why one would junk an otherwise good car
I got the story 2nd hand. The bottom line is that there may have been more damage to engine. As he was quoted for used engine and a rebuilt engine.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:49 PM

1,817 posts, read 422,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm not following why one would junk an otherwise good car just because it needs a head gasket replacement. Better DIY mechanics replace their own head gaskets for a few hundred in parts.

Of course the $tealer will quote you a mint to do the job, but a good indy shop would repair this in a cost-effective way.

15 year old car, engine replacement, I have heard there is some kind of "engine cradle" on the Z/Infiniti that complicates the job. (*From a guy that worked on cars, wanted to do side-jobs. No idea if it is true, or if he made that up. I'm sure some Nissan/Infiniti guys will know.)

Thinking the engine cost more than a used car, maybe quoted NEW engine.

Many variables.. If I loved the car, I'd get the engine and be happy I have a major component replaced, just have to worry about the rest of the car. But that's just me... maybe the Infiniti wasn't that good.

4 quart oil sump in these things.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 PM

16,476 posts, read 17,501,756 times
If everything else is working correctly it’s cheaper to replace/rebuild/repair the engine
Once repaired you can have another 100/150,000 troubkefree miles

Old 10-25-2018, 01:06 PM

7,741 posts, read 5,322,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If everything else is working correctly itís cheaper to replace/rebuild/repair the engine
Once repaired you can have another 100/150,000 troubkefree miles
Easily.

I wonder, was the right fuel used in the vehicle? The VQ engine in the Infinitis and Maximas calls for premium.
The VQ engine is known to be one of the most reliable 6's ever.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 PM

19,648 posts, read 8,216,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
2003 Infiniti G35 AWD

Purchased new.

I was with the fellow when he picked up his new 2003 Infinity G35 4 door sedan AWD.

Beautiful car.

Car was for is wife. Only driven in warm weather (two home folks). Always garaged. Normal maintenance at Infiniti dealership.

Now (2018) the car at 93,000 miles went into "limp mode". Taken to repair facility. Blown head gasket I am told. Engine no good was the diagnosis. Car being sold for parts or to anyone who wants to put in another engine or repair.

Let's just state that this is the last Infiniti for this owner. No more Nissan anything for this family.
Just my two cents--I have a Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 that is 10 years old, 70k miles, excellent condition. Maintenance has been minimal. AC evaporator replaced (South Fla), tires, the usual. Otherwise--no issues--has been very reliable.

I worked with a guy that bought a brand new Infiniti sedan. A couple of months after the warranty ran out, he had a major issue -- cannot remember exactly what--an engine part that should not have failed that early did fail, and it was a $5,000 repair. Infinity wouldn't budge and the dealership would not help (he even knew the owner). So I'm a not big fan of Infiniti.

I've had VWs and found the manufacturer to be easier to deal with than Nissan. VW rewards loyalty, and the Japanese carmakers do not seem to be into that.

Nissan doesn't really make any cars I want these days. I do love the coupe, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti