U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 246 times

Advertisements

Hi! I bought my Nissan Sentra new (my first mistake) back in 2013 and in November 20th of 2017, the transmission crapped out at 66k as I was attempting to parallel park. That time it was replaced at no cost to me as it was still under the drivetrain warranty. Again this November 14th, the transmission failed for the second time at 79k as I was driving on a highway. Both times the car was dead in the water and need to be pushed off the road. This most recent time Nissan is refusing to cover the cost of replacement under a 1 year parts warranty (which I was by 6 days) because the first transmission was replaced under the drivetrain warranty. They are compromising with paying 80% which is still leaving me with a $800 bill for what is obviously a flawed transmission. I wish I knew all about the CVTs and their history before I bought one. The a/c blower motor also failed this past August and that was a separate $300 fix out of pocket. This car is a lemon, this CV transmission is complete garbage. I'm also worried that this history is going to make a major dent in its trade in value because you bet I'm going to get rid of this piece of junk before it completely falls apart around me.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with it failing TWICE in one year and if anyone has any tips on what I should do, I'm determined to not have to pay for its replacement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 04:10 PM

4,909 posts, read 4,995,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmann View Post
Hi! I bought my Nissan Sentra new (my first mistake) back in 2013 and in November 20th of 2017, the transmission crapped out at 66k as I was attempting to parallel park. That time it was replaced at no cost to me as it was still under the drivetrain warranty. Again this November 14th, the transmission failed for the second time at 79k as I was driving on a highway. Both times the car was dead in the water and need to be pushed off the road. This most recent time Nissan is refusing to cover the cost of replacement under a 1 year parts warranty (which I was by 6 days) because the first transmission was replaced under the drivetrain warranty. They are compromising with paying 80% which is still leaving me with a $800 bill for what is obviously a flawed transmission. I wish I knew all about the CVTs and their history before I bought one. The a/c blower motor also failed this past August and that was a separate $300 fix out of pocket. This car is a lemon, this CV transmission is complete garbage. I'm also worried that this history is going to make a major dent in its trade in value because you bet I'm going to get rid of this piece of junk before it completely falls apart around me.
There are multiple threads on CD about CVT.

As far as trade in - at that age and miles on odometer probably doesn't make much difference. Most if not all new car dealers will just auction car off. Better off selling on Craiglist when time comes.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM

8,061 posts, read 5,564,358 times
Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with it failing TWICE in one year and if anyone has any tips on what I should do, I'm determined to not have to pay for its replacement!
This is horse****. They're supposed to replace them under warranty, regardless of whether or not you already had it replaced.

TBH, I doubt the validity of this post, as this is really not how these transmissions behave when they begin to fail. You'd still be able to parallel park, for instance.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 PM

849 posts, read 222,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is horse****. They're supposed to replace them under warranty, regardless of whether or not you already had it replaced.

TBH, I doubt the validity of this post, as this is really not how these transmissions behave when they begin to fail. You'd still be able to parallel park, for instance.
Right, and why would someone come on this forum for the first time and post this problem? horse**** is right. In fact, lots of first posts on this forum are horse****. Makes you wonder if someone is making up lots of bs threads to increase traffic for advertisement revenue.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:01 PM

18,420 posts, read 16,890,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Right, and why would someone come on this forum for the first time and post this problem? horse**** is right. In fact, lots of first posts on this forum are horse****. Makes you wonder if someone is making up lots of bs threads to increase traffic for advertisement revenue.

Agreed. I always look at the post number when people come on here and complain about a certain make or model. A first post in this section complaining is very suspect.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:10 PM

20,103 posts, read 8,491,204 times
Quote:

I had a Sentra with an automatic in the 90s that did the exact same thing at about the exact same mileage. But after the first time it happened, I traded it in for a VW. When it went, I couldn't drive faster than a few miles an hour--wouldn't shift to higher gear.

Old Today, 07:26 AM

4,909 posts, read 4,995,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Agreed. I always look at the post number when people come on here and complain about a certain make or model. A first post in this section complaining is very suspect.
Important point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or