Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Think it was back in the mid to late 1980s when Nissan had what I thought at the time was the perfect car selection. In the sedan lineup you started with the Sentra, Stanza, and then the Maxima (complete with gold window tint that was so cool at the time). In the coupe lineup you had the 200SX (two door Sentra), 240SX (still to this day a favorite among tuner crowd), and the 300ZX. What's odd is today's Sentra is about as big as that generation's Maxima and in the SE-R trim is about as fast (straight line) as the 240SX. Didn't care for the 350Z but the current 370Z styling is closer to the original Z car styling. The current Maxima looks nice but is a monster in size and why in the hell did they give it a CVT transmission? Is it just me or does the new Mazda 6 resemble the new Maxima? To me, the Maxima should have either a 5 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. Leave the CVT to the lower models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
I still think that 89-94 maxima was one of the best four door smallish mid-size cars ever. Sporty, a nice size and well put together. I haven't liked any of the later versions half as well. I think if they came out with a similarly well executed car that size, with clean styling, they could rack up sales. A lot of people want a nice car that handles well but don't necessarily want it to be large, gimmicky or need the luxury name plate.

And, yeah, the 240 was a fun car even if it only had about 150 hp. I thought the last version of it was gorgeous even if it was only a retread of the lower slung first generation.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I had an '85 200SX and loved it. It had a voice that reminded you when the fuel level was low, door was ajar, lights were on, etc, It also had automatic windshield wipers that adjusted to the speed of the rain falling and automatic volume control on the stereo (this was fun when you had a car full of people, it would get louder and so they would get louder and..well, you get the picture).

It was a 5 speed and fun as heck to drive. I miss that car! I traded it in on a Pathfinder that I ended up not liking at all. It was one of the earlier models. I kept leaving the lights on because I was used to being reminded by my friendly little voice, LOL.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
I do.

I would also bet that a 1985 Maxima is a more "solid" car than a 2009 Sentra.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I do.

I would also bet that a 1985 Maxima is a more "solid" car than a 2009 Sentra.

Agreed!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Think it was back in the mid to late 1980s when Nissan had what I thought at the time was the perfect car selection. In the sedan lineup you started with the Sentra, Stanza, and then the Maxima (complete with gold window tint that was so cool at the time). In the coupe lineup you had the 200SX (two door Sentra), 240SX (still to this day a favorite among tuner crowd), and the 300ZX. What's odd is today's Sentra is about as big as that generation's Maxima and in the SE-R trim is about as fast (straight line) as the 240SX. Didn't care for the 350Z but the current 370Z styling is closer to the original Z car styling. The current Maxima looks nice but is a monster in size and why in the hell did they give it a CVT transmission? Is it just me or does the new Mazda 6 resemble the new Maxima? To me, the Maxima should have either a 5 speed auto or a 6 speed manual. Leave the CVT to the lower models.
Interesting observations. Agree that the current Sentra is, or appears, to be the same size as the older generation Maxima. I used to like the late 80's Maxima...the four door sports car...and the SE-R was a cool car for the money. Nissan totally dropped the ball on that one. The Nissan Frontier is larger, too. The early generations of Nissan trucks like the Hardbody (or whatever they called it) was literally a minitruck.

Also, I have noticed that the current Honda Civic is about the size of earlier generations of the Honda Accord .

Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Sailordave, like all Japanese makes, theyve given up on the fun/sporty cars (minus the 370Z) and made vanilla-mobiles.

Nissan? RIP. :-(

Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM

359 posts, read 1,144,340 times
oh, loved my '87 stanza limited..still wish i had that car today..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti