U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 AM

811 posts, read 3,972,229 times

Advertisements

My Nissan Altima 2000 (95K miles) service engine soon light just came on today. I only drive 12 miles (total) in this car and few days ago I filled the gas tank completely. The gas tank is completely filled even above the "F" mark. And since, I drive on 12 miles a day it is not going down any time soon.

I read somewhere that a FULL gas tank can cause the check engine soon light to come on. Is that right? Should I drive my car around the blocks to make the gas go down a little.

If this is some other problem then how can I diagnose it. I read that I will need to get the code which will indicate the problem. How can I get the code? What is that device called which will return me the code of the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
A full tank wont trip a code. Go to Auto Zone, they can scan your OBDII and tell you exactly what the code # is and you can look it up and find out what the problem is. It would make sense to me that you didnt tighten your fuel cap all the way, that will cause a CEL to pop on. Makes sense that it came on after you left the pumps.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,713,200 times
Are you talking about the CEL (which means check engine) or are you talking about another light that says 'service engine soon" there is a big difference. Some cars have a service engine soon light that has nothing to do with the CEL and emission systems

Old 11-20-2009, 04:18 PM

14,214 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Are you talking about the CEL (which means check engine) or are you talking about another light that says 'service engine soon" there is a big difference. Some cars have a service engine soon light that has nothing to do with the CEL and emission systems
True, it could just be a mileage counter, telling you it's about due for the 100K checkup.

You didn't ask, but if you only drive 12 miles a day - 6 out and 6 back I guess - the car never really warms up properly, it will tend to develop sludge and other issues. You would be well-served to get it out for a good 10-20 mile run at least once a week.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM

@NativeCheif,

The light that is on says "Service Engine Soon". I read some internet article which explains how to find the code. It seems like a simple step which I will try it out as soon as I get some time. I did tighten the gas cap very tightly but that did not made any difference.

My service is not due right now. As, I said I only drive 12 miles a day in that car so it will take some time for my next service.

@M3 Mitch,

>> True, it could just be a mileage counter, telling you it's about due for the 100K checkup

This might be the case but my car is at 95,200 right now. So, it has a LONG way to go till it reaches 100K.

Thanks,

Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,906,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
As long as the light is amber in color, a check engine light (CEL) and a service engine soon (SES) light are the same. It just depends on the manufacturer as to what it's called. The proper name is a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Think emissions related.

On the other hand, there is a service vehicle soon (SVS) light on some vehicles. It comes on when there is a problem with a safety system such as a burned out light, traction control or anything non emissions related.

Then there are also reminder lights when you due for an oil change. Some go by just mileage and some use mileage, time, engine rpm and even oil condition.

Confusing, ain't it?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 PM

94 posts, read 289,346 times
Did you make sure your gas cap clicked at least 3 times when tightening it?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM

@Seafood Guy,

Yes, actually I think I clicked it like 6 times. I am pretty sure it is locked!

I will find the error code during the long weekend and post an update!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,887,918 times
My '05 Corolla has a "service engine" light that comes on at whatever the oil change interval is supposed to be....it is NOT a check engine light.

The owners manual tells how to reset it.

Some here have said that some cars have a sophisticated system behind the "service engine" light....but on my Corolla, it's a simple mileage counter.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,906,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
My '05 Corolla has a "service engine" light that comes on at whatever the oil change interval is supposed to be....it is NOT a check engine light.

The owners manual tells how to reset it.

Some here have said that some cars have a sophisticated system behind the "service engine" light....but on my Corolla, it's a simple mileage counter.
There is a difference between a service engine soon light and a maintenance required light.

Do you hold down the trip meter button with the key on to reset?

Yes, some cars have a sophisticated system as opposed to a generic system such as your Corolla.

The GM OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is a system designed to calculate remaining oil life in your car's engine. The system is based on a computer algorithm that measures the serviceable oil life based on three criteria: crankcase temperature, combustion chamber events (work the engine does), and moisture (which is affected by environmental as well as internal temps and conditions). These three elements are what determine engine oil life. The system is able to calculate the serviceable engine oil life to within + or - 5 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti