U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,945,564 times

Advertisements

This is something I can't stand, and I don't deal with it well, either. While not that many people are as anal about it as I am, it simply isn't accept anymore.

I think this is a generational thing. Dropping in on each other was a much more common practice in our parents, and grandparents, time. I remember it when I was little (which my mother resented, by the way.) In those days the wife often stayed home and kept the house in good enough order for drop-ins. Interests and pasttimes were a lot simpler then, so the pace was a lot slower, too.

Fast-forward a couple of decades when most wives and mothers went to work, the pace of life picked up, new horizons were explored for interests, and leisure time was no longer plentiful. Too many of us run around like pomeranians on Prozac.

My husband's side of the family were ~ still are ~ very lax about this sort of thing. If they know they're coming to town or passing through I never thought I asked too much by requesting prior notice. They all thought I had the problem. And picking up the phone to tell us, "Hey, I'll be out your way next Tuesday. Will you have a bed for me?" proved to be too much effort because they've stopped coming, Period. Every time I start to question my part in this, I remind myself that, hey, it's MY house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,151,259 times
I am really easy going, but this is a big pet peeve of mine. I dont think it has to do with age at all..to me it is simply a power play. Catch them off guard! I dont drop in on anyone without calling first, and I sure would like the same respect in return, although I dont get it. Just yesterday, on my Sunday, when I have two services and supper to get inbetween, I didnt make sure the bed was made or the dishes done, and guess what..... UG!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,473,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When my father was alive he had many friends. He would always just decide to see them and show up at their door step and expect them to drop every thing to entertain him. Because my Dad was so friendly and interesting, most of his friends did not mind. As his old friends died off and Dad made new friends he tended to irritate the new people by his habit of dropping in unannounced.

He could not understand why anyone would be irritated at him. Maybe it was from a simpler day and time he learned his social manners.

Would you show up at a friends door step without calling ahead? Is it a regional thing?
No way! The last thing I need is my parents or my adult son dropping by while hubby and I are in the middle of something kinky!!!

I don't like people dropping in on me, and I don't do it to other people.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:28 PM

OMG! I just noticed this is a DINGLER thread from way back in the day!!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
OMG! I just noticed this is a DINGLER thread from way back in the day!!!!!

What? What? I want to know what the DINGLER thread is!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,316,346 times
My dad does that to his relatives.

It would annoy me.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
My dad does that to his relatives.

It would annoy me.

Do you know the conversation that goes on before hand? I would be curious what thought pattern they have.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,316,346 times
No clue. It is just how things are between them. I think it is rude, however, the relatives never want to say anything even though I can sense tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Do you know the conversation that goes on before hand? I would be curious what thought pattern they have.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No clue. It is just how things are between them. I think it is rude, however, the relatives never want to say anything even though I can sense tension.

It's bad cause you want to be sweet, but when they drop in on you, not knowing what you are in the middle of, you can't help but be tense.. Agghh!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
What? What? I want to know what the DINGLER thread is!
Dingler - he's the guy who started this thread. He's ben gone a long time. He turned into Goodtype, then Refugee56.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or