U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,180,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Is he a psychiatrist?
No, internist...but still
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,249,435 times
Who makes more dough an internist or an anesthesiologist?

P.S. feelings are internal.... so therefore in a way he is a psychiatrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
No, internist...but still

Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 AM

158 posts, read 490,056 times
My friend is just killing me - she calls every day, and if I don't stop her somehow, she will talk for hours. Minimum conversation we've ever had was 50 minutes. I can't just tell her "Sorry - I have to leave" - I must say where I am going and why, and how long I will be absent. I love her, she is a good person, but lately I find myself more and more just ignoring her calls - and then when I do take the call, she would ask why I didn't pick up. I don't know what to do. I don't want to hurt her, but can't take this anymore. Also, if I don't pick up, she will call every 5 minutes until I do.

And another thing - when we're finally ready to say "goodbye", and she does, she will continue talking, just then remembering something else to say. And when that is over, I would say - "OK, goodbye now", and she says "Goodbye", and still continues to talk - it could repeat for 6-7 times... Yesterday, I just hung up after I said "Good night" for a third time although I heard she was still talking. I am sure she is not aware she is doing this, how do I bring it up?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,598,127 times
^Change your number if you don't see her on a regular basis. And you call her whenever you want to. Tell her that you are now using a pay as you go cellphone so you don't have to give her the number. Does she have anyone else to talk to? If not, then tough luck she sees you as family.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,295,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
My friend is just killing me - she calls every day, and if I don't stop her somehow, she will talk for hours. Minimum conversation we've ever had was 50 minutes. I can't just tell her "Sorry - I have to leave" - I must say where I am going and why, and how long I will be absent. I love her, she is a good person, but lately I find myself more and more just ignoring her calls - and then when I do take the call, she would ask why I didn't pick up. I don't know what to do. I don't want to hurt her, but can't take this anymore. Also, if I don't pick up, she will call every 5 minutes until I do.

And another thing - when we're finally ready to say "goodbye", and she does, she will continue talking, just then remembering something else to say. And when that is over, I would say - "OK, goodbye now", and she says "Goodbye", and still continues to talk - it could repeat for 6-7 times... Yesterday, I just hung up after I said "Good night" for a third time although I heard she was still talking. I am sure she is not aware she is doing this, how do I bring it up?
Hon. People only treat you how you allow them to treat you. Now Im not saying you should be mean to your friend. But if you want to get off the phone then get off. Yes I know. this is easier said then done. BTDT. Wanted to chew my foot off to escape. .

I have listened to many a long winded conversation. Because I wanted to. Not because I felt I had to. Sometimes people just NEED to talk. People who are alone and lonely often talk non stop because they have all this conversation bottled up.

On the other hand. If you think you should do ALL the talking. Because how could anybody else even POSSIBLY have anything interesting to say that could even REMOTELY be of any importance. Well then I just might have walk away in mid sentence.

When I need to say goodbye this is what works for me. DO NOT give the other person a chance to ask questions,. Dont justify yourself. This just gives them an excuse to challenge you and continue the conversation. Im sorry Hon I really cant talk right now. Ill call you later. Goodbye. Do not pause. Hang up the phone. If you keep talking how can they be expected to believe that you really want off the phone.

Then I call them later on my time schedule. Also only crazy people call a talker when they have a completely open schedule. Always have some legitimate reason to get off. My husband calls me at a certain time. I call my talkers before his calls. They know I need to take his call so it gives me a cut off. Or pick a tv show and act crazy.. OMG. Im sorry I have to hang up. Celebrity Bowling just came on.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,133 times
Same problem here. My wife will not shut up at the dinner table. She talks constantly while eating, its disgusting and makes me feel ill. I just want to enjoy my dinner with the odd conversation. When I sit there blank faced and fed up I often think about diving across the table and sticking a fork in her neck but who would get the blame for that? Yep me.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 AM

2,043 posts, read 4,393,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post

So people how do deal with the blabbermouths in your lives? I'm curious because I really need to do something about it before I go nuts.
I tune them out. I have a blabbermouth at work. She's actually my FAVORITE co-worker, but when she tells a story,she has to tell every little SINGLE detail...details that aren't necessary for me to know, AT ALL. By the time she gets to the MAIN point, I usually forget what the hell she came in my office to tell me anyway. I usually sit there, look at my computer, type or do something else while she's talking and act like I'm listening to her and sound off a bunch of "oh yeah's?", here and there...

Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 AM

199 posts, read 568,714 times
Ha ha ha I (very unfortuantely) talk-a-lot There's not much I can do about it really I wish I could but I can't...I think my husband tunes me out most of teh times as do my co-workers and maybbe even my 2 year old son

Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 AM

199 posts, read 568,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie455 View Post
Same problem here. My wife will not shut up at the dinner table. She talks constantly while eating, its disgusting and makes me feel ill. I just want to enjoy my dinner with the odd conversation. When I sit there blank faced and fed up I often think about diving across the table and sticking a fork in her neck but who would get the blame for that? Yep me.
OMG!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:03 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,892,384 times
I freely admit, I'm one of those annoying Talk Too Much people -- so maybe I can give a little insight, from my own POV anyway.

It's not that I don't know that I do it ... I realize it right after the social situation is over and always regret and am embarassed that I just kept babbling on. If I had a dime for every time I said to myself afterwards "Why the *** did I talk so much/talk about that??" I'd be a very rich woman.

As for the 'why' at the time ... it's mostly that I truly want to contribute whatever information or story or opinion that I have, into the conversation. But just like a chocoholic faced with a bowlful of Godiva, once started it's like trying to derail a runaway train. "Betcha can't eat just one" (or two) -- that's right... I can't. Same principle/effect as the talking.

And just like with the chocolate (yes I'm a chocoholic too; maybe the best control would be to stuff my mouth with chocolate?!) I always deeply regret my talking binges very shortly afterward.

When asked a question I have the bad habit of going into a longwinded explanation rather than giving a simple Yes or No response. At least I know why I do THAT: it's because I always have wanted to know the complete reason/how/why behind everything, and a simple short answer was never enough for me to receive. I usually forget, though, that many people simply don't care about the Why, and they don't want a dissertation for an answer.

I've been like this since my teen years (I'm now 60ish) so it's not something that developed overnight or in response to a stressful situation. Oddly, as a small child I was somewhat of a loner and rather shy; hated to talk to people! Even now I hate crowds and large gatherings and so my talking is (unfortunately) done either one-on-one or to a very small group of people.

Lastly (I promise!) FWIW my dad was the same way, although my mom was unusually quiet and reserved. I spent much more time with my mom growing up, so perhaps there is more of a Nature rather than a Nurture element in play with the tendency to talk too much.

Last edited by totallyfrazzled; 06-06-2009 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships