U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 AM

12,253 posts, read 15,522,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
I'm sure we all know people who talk to much but how do you handle it? Do you just tune them out (most of the time I do) or what? I'm not someone who is shy and quiet but not a motormouth either. But there are a few people I know that its hard to get in a word when speaking with them. There are times I feel like yelling, "Will you please JUST SHUT UP!"

Example: My mother. She will give you every single little detail on the most mundane things or will tell you things that you already know how to do. For instance, she can't just say there was a rude customer in front of her at the grocery store. She'll tell you just about everything that led up to her being in the grocery store-the time she woke up this morning, how she couldn't find her shoes, etc. Twenty minutes later she'll finally get to the story about the rude customer.

Another example: Best friend. She talks and talks and talks and talks....You get the point. You can't break in to give your opinion or whatnot because she's already on another topic. SHe'll call me up and starts talking about her problems right away with barely asking me how I am doing. Thirty minutes to an hour later, after her lips are starting to turn blue, she ask to see how I'm doing, lol.

Another example: Friend who is almost a narcissist. Everything is about her and how great she is or great people think she is. Talks about herself way too much and again, will have to give you every single little detail about everything.

I love these people but gosh do they get annoying! All I feel like I ever say is "Yeah, uh-huh, ok" etc. I mean occasionally I get a few words in, hehe. There have been times I can put down the phone with these women and go get a drink of water or go to the bathroom AND THEY ARE STILL TALKING!!!

I've always been one that people come to for advice, almost like a therapist with out the great pay. It gets old though. Guess I'm too nice

So people how do deal with the blabbermouths in your lives? I'm curious because I really need to do something about it before I go nuts.
In my circle I'm the motormouth. Not only do I talk a lot, I talk fast and I'll change subjects without warning so if you're not used to talking to me you'll have no idea what I'm talking about Most of close friends are comfortable enough telling me to "shut up" when either they have something to say or I'm starting to get on their nerves. My boyfriend tunes me out = he thinks that I don't know because he manages to answer me at all the appropriate place but I know he's hearing me, just not listening but it doesn't bother me because a lot of times I'm just venting and don't really need a response.

I know I talk a lot though so it doesn't bother me when people say something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM

27 posts, read 51,087 times
I can't be around people who continuously talk and don't shut up. These types of people can be the nicest person you've ever met, but I just think it's selfish and not a true conversation!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM

37,920 posts, read 36,675,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheBeach View Post
I can't be around people who continuously talk and don't shut up. These types of people can be the nicest person you've ever met, but I just think it's selfish and not a true conversation!

I always get stuck next to people like that in restaurants and other confined places.

We flew to Vegas last year and this f ing guy behind me was just talking and talking and talking, I almost turned around and asked him what the hell is the matter with you. He was just talking this poor woman ear off, she didn't know him and you could tell she was starting to get a little irritated.

Luckily it was only a 45 min flight.

We were walking through the airport and this guy was still yapping. I'm getting all mad just thinking about it.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:28 PM

13,779 posts, read 22,852,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I always get stuck next to people like that in restaurants and other confined places.

We flew to Vegas last year and this f ing guy behind me was just talking and talking and talking, I almost turned around and asked him what the hell is the matter with you. He was just talking this poor woman ear off, she didn't know him and you could tell she was starting to get a little irritated.

Luckily it was only a 45 min flight.

We were walking through the airport and this guy was still yapping. I'm getting all mad just thinking about it.
Flights are the worst! I was stuck on a darn plane with a guy who yapped the whole way AND had Tourette's "flare ups" when he got tired...he sounded like he was a friggin' chatty Cathy parrot

Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,167 times
HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE!!

everyone treats me like their personal therapist with the only exception i don't charge!

god! i mean i love the people in my life but sometimes i just want them TO SHUT UP it gets really tiring when they keep on talking about the same things all the time it's really exhausting.

I'm not a shy person either and I like to talk just like everybody but this people won't let me say a word and when occasionally i want to say something, they never hear me and never put attention and the conversation gets to their way again! see my point?

anyways i believe we are way too nice, i'll start being more agressive haha

Old 08-09-2009, 04:16 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,108,942 times
i am a motormouth at times. i am working on it though!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM

54,010 posts, read 70,829,255 times
when they say stuff you dont wana hear 3 words is way too much.
when they repeat themselves it might be cuz you did not get it the 1st time.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-09-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 05:13 PM

13,616 posts, read 9,749,309 times
I didn't read through all of the posts, but does this ever happen to anyone else?: When the person keeps talking and talking and talking, and you start wondering, How can they not be aware of what they're doing? Then you start to get self-conscious and can't really naturally listen to them anymore, and you become acutely aware of the eye contact between the two of you, and you're just praying they'll stop because it's just turning bizarre and you just want to laugh?

Or is it just me?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 PM

237 posts, read 316,251 times
People who are chatty because they have a lot of nervous energy really don't bother me. However, people who talk just to hear themselves talk ( i have a friend who talks in endless monologes) I find self absorbed, boring and very controlling.When you finally do get a chance to get a word in edgewise with these folks their disengaged from what your saying, and you know their just thinking about what their going to say next .

Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM

37,920 posts, read 36,675,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingjupiter View Post
People who are chatty because they have a lot of nervous energy really don't bother me. However, people who talk just to hear themselves talk ( i have a friend who talks in endless monologes) I find self absorbed, boring and very controlling.When you finally do get a chance to get a word in edgewise with these folks their disengaged from what your saying, and you know their just thinking about what their going to say next .
Try an experiment for the next day or two. Be super aware of your interactions with people.

You'll really be surprised how people don't listen to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships