U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM

20,070 posts, read 14,375,770 times

Advertisements

I used to endure such crap, but not anymore.

If I am on the telephone with such a person, I usually just shut them down with an abrupt, " I got to get going" line.

Also, if I add this: "It was great catching up" -they'll let me off the phone/ hook! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 AM

727 posts, read 423,624 times
I talk too much it is my way to handle stress. I have said all to my friends that if you have something else to do, please say it for me, my things are not so important. I actually talk whole day for my pets Bla bla bla what I am doing right now and they cannot run away My poor pets . I show my works for them and ask it is better with something or not, "should we do this or that, what do you think?" - That is heck funny

And if I breath on the phone people ask from me "are you ok", " are you still there" because I was quiet couple of seconds...

Last edited by Asexualgirl; 01-04-2011 at 01:55 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,831,192 times
When I hear people talk too much, I just daydream about something else hoping they would shut up. When I'm riding with someone who talks stupid (like my old man for example), I move my head slightly out the window so I can hear the noise and not him.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
ilove my big brother but he has a big mouth so i let him talk and he say im diffuclt but he complains and i said mama who opens his mouth and makes a fool out ot self and he said my father and mom was and angry person and a sick person and he yells alot he has ms and i hope he gets well but hea wonderful kid and this is his nature even his sons say hes this way so i learn to live with it

Old 05-05-2011, 03:35 AM

123 posts, read 224,000 times
run as much as u can or just tell them that they speak tooooo much and its about time to shut up!!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Thanks for raising this topic. I have a close friend who just talks and talks. A lot of it is boring or irrelevant. She has a heart of gold and I love her to bits but often I feel like yelling "Shut the F%#& UP!".

I haven't read every post but the ones I have read seem to describe similar problems. Has anyone yet found a way to get through to these talkers?

(Maybe I should take one of these when I see her next! )

Old 06-05-2011, 03:21 PM

218 posts, read 386,714 times
My mother is the QUEEN of rehashing......she will rehash a situation up to 8 times while on the phone!!!! ugh!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM

1,896 posts, read 5,618,961 times
These motormouths have something mentally wrong; they have needs not being fulfilled, they need therapy. Odds are they are not going to get it. I just don't get too close to these kinds of people anymore, my time is too precious. Talking on the phone is a complete waste of time and when I make new friends, I tell them that. Some people are afraid of silence, I guess, or it feels too awkward. One thing you could try, if you're around music (like in the car), is say "can you hold that thought - I love this song" and turn it up...the more listening you can get them to do, the better.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
when i became friends with a woman who could talk about herself or her concerns non-stop, i learned to say, 'yes, i remember that the last time you told me', but to a person with this bad habit, you need more...so i put the phone down and forget about it. they don't want your input, they only want to maintain you as a human garbage can for their junk.
for a person who buttonholes you in person, you can say again 'yes you told me' but if that doesnt work, keep your back to the offender and become enthralled with the cantloupe or magazines. another thing, if a person constantly interrupts, just say, excuse me, you've interrupted so many times, i'v lost the thread of your discussion. lastly, the talker usually gets louder and louder if you try to make a point, you can screech just as loudly if you want to but turning your back and escaping is easier.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times
Yes. Reminds me of my mom. She likes to talk about how many ****s she took that day, what she ate that led up to those bathroom experiences, and she does this all when I'm sitting down to a nice dinner at the kitchen table! Disgusting! I ask her to stop and she apologizes but then she does it the next day all over again! Eeeewww!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or