Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:57 AM

10 posts, read 27,090 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure there are any answers, except maybe to just say "excuse me," and walk away. There are lots of people who "talk at you" while pretending to have a conversation.

Tish Thompson, I love your comments. I belong to a couple of community groups and am seriously thinking about exiting because of having to listen to long winded stories that do not get to the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,271 times
I'm also a quiet person and get totally drained by talkative people. It drives me nuts.

I don't want to be rude and I'm not a mean person so when I first meet someone I try to make as much conversation as possible, and put some effort into it, but if I'm seeing this person in my face on a daily basis then in a few months time I just I can't take it anymore, give it a year and I stop talking all together and just give them a glare/nod and they leave me alone. I know it's drastic and sad, I don't like judging people who I just meet so I give them the "chance" but once I find out what kind of person they are (talkative) I can't help but shut down and ignore them, they generally get the message and avoid me.
If you've ever seen the 1996 version of Pride and Prejudice- the mini series and you notice how Mr. Darcy stares are Mr. Collins at one of the parties when he goes on about knowing his aunt lady catherine, that's exactly how I handle the situation, just like Mr. Darcy. It may be rude but it's the only way. It works too, they often shut up and leave me alone, it just requires a lot of effort, less draining but still effort.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
My mother's boyfriend is like that. A really nice guy, but absolutely cannot stand a lapse in conversation. What's more everything relates back to his Air Force days no matter what. Failing that, he'll go off on a soliloquy on any key word that gives him an opening.

Honest to God, my wife and I had dropped the kids off at my mother's once so we could go to an appointment. When we returned, her boyfriend was there. So, in passing, I mention to my mother that some tree service people up the street were using a wood chipper. All this guy had to do was hear the term "Wood Chipper," and he launched in to a 35-minute ramble about wood-chippers. I could not get an opening to say, "Thanks, gotta go," if my life had depended on it.

People like this also are notoriously unmindful of the situation around them. Once a year, we go out and decorate our father's grave. A somber occasion, right? Well, the last time we were out there planting flowers, this guy decides to go off on this gratuitous spiel about this guy in high school he knew who was run over by a bus. It went on for at least 20 minutes. My mother finally told him to shut up.

My BIL's mother was like that too. NEVER shut up. I think it's just nervousness on their parts, but that doesn't not make you want to hit them in the head with a brick. You'd think they'd see glazed expressions and stifled yawns among their audience and shut the hell up already.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I almost choked the guy in front of me at the grocery store a short while ago...he would not shut up and he was talking to the woman in front of him whoh obviously was freaked out by him and then the poor cashier, Dorothy...he was a just being rude and sort of scary...talking about how nervous he would be if he were a woman having to walk out into the parking lot alone...then he asked if I was afraid to go out by myself...odd guy...and too talkative!!

Old 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Was "that guy" your hubby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I almost choked the guy in front of me at the grocery store a short while ago...he would not shut up and he was talking to the woman in front of him whoh obviously was freaked out by him and then the poor cashier, Dorothy...he was a just being rude and sort of scary...talking about how nervous he would be if he were a woman having to walk out into the parking lot alone...then he asked if I was afraid to go out by myself...odd guy...and too talkative!!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Was "that guy" your hubby?
No! Be nice!! Actually, my husband does not talk that much...he is burned out by the time he gets home

Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM

What is he "burned out on" ??

Quote:
No! Be nice!! Actually, my husband does not talk that much...he is burned out by the time he gets home

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is he "burned out on" ??
Talking to his patients...

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I will say this. After a day of pretty much being by myself (With the occasional client meeting) and/or dealing with kids by myself for three hours at the end of the day, I have to physically restrain myself from jabbering at Mrs. CPG when she hits the door after a day at the office. After all, she's likely the only adult I've seen all day, but she's been in meetings or dealing with staff members for 9-10 hours. So she really needs her 10-20 minutes to decompress.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Is he a psychiatrist?

Quote:
Talking to his patients...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships