Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 PM

525 posts, read 947,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
How many of you are still close to childhood or high school friends?

For me, there's only one guy from childhood that I'm still close to, but he lives far away from me and we only meet once or twice a year.

I have lost all touch with everybody I knew as a teenager, except for one guy whom I was very close to during high school (he studied at another school). We went back and forth after high school, and now we've drifted apart. We still live in the same metropolitan area, and are on cordial terms, but we never meet and have completely different social circles.

And the one guy I call my best friend right now, I met him in college. He's the only friend from college with whom I am still a good friends with - the only one I am friend with at all.

What's it been like for you as you got older?

All of my childhood through high school friends have scattered to the wind until recently I got contacted by two that go all the way back to 2nd grade! All my college friends are scattered to. But I will be meeting again soon with the two old friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
I just went on vacation with my best gf that I met back in high school! I only have a handful of great friends from my school age but that has a lot to do with the fact that I am one of the only few people from my area that actually got up and moved away. Many of my old school friends live in the same spot and I was never destined for that.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I'm too busy to have friends at all. I've always had my own things I preferred doing to hanging around with other people.

That being said, I tried reconnecting with some people I knew from years ago, and I think it went pretty well, for the most part. My cousins weren't all as friendly as I remembered them as kids, but perhaps that's because we haven't spoken in so long, they weren't quite sure what to say to me.

We all have lives--all but one of them are married, and probably have kids and families of their own to deal with.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:37 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
A few months ago, I was able to find an old gal pal of mine that I used to be good friends with (found her on this site!), made friends on FB, talked a bit and that was about the extent of it. She got me in touch with our other friend (all three of us used to be great friends) and that girl and I talked a bit over the phone but clearly ALL of our lives have changed dramatically. We are all busy in our own lives, careers, life plans, etc.. and while it was wonderful finding that they were both doing well and were happy in their lives, we still haven't talked since that initial conversation.

Other than those two, there is no one else I've remained in contact with over the years. I tend to be a solo flyer and make new friends as I go along. Sometimes I keep them a long time, other times they are just like ships passing in the night but that's how I've always been.

Over the years as I've gotten older, more mature and more sensible, i realize that friends will come and go, it's easier now for me to pick out good people that I want in my life and for those people, I make the time. But, I also choose friends who aren't needy and don't take over my life. It's a win-win LOL

Old 08-17-2010, 07:49 AM

408 posts, read 809,066 times
I'm still friends with almost all of my friends from highschool. There's only 2 that I don't really talk to anymore.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:56 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
How many of you are still close to childhood or high school friends?

For me, there's only one guy from childhood that I'm still close to, but he lives far away from me and we only meet once or twice a year.

I have lost all touch with everybody I knew as a teenager, except for one guy whom I was very close to during high school (he studied at another school). We went back and forth after high school, and now we've drifted apart. We still live in the same metropolitan area, and are on cordial terms, but we never meet and have completely different social circles.

And the one guy I call my best friend right now, I met him in college. He's the only friend from college with whom I am still a good friends with - the only one I am friend with at all.

What's it been like for you as you got older?

It was difficult for me to keep in touch with my childhood friends when I left Ukraine because at that time, the main way of communicating was through writing letters. We didn't have Facebook or other networking sites to keep in touch. A close friend of mine immigrated to Brooklyn almost at the same time as me and we originally lost touch almost immediately after moving.

Fast forward 15 years later, I found so many of my childhood friends online just to see how different we are. Their lives there is nothing like my life here and although we keep in touch, what keeps us being friends are just childhood memories.
However, a friend who moved to Brooklyn with me and with whom I lost touch with found me when I turned 25 and she ended up being such a good close friend of mine.

Ironically, the closest friends I have now are the ones I've met in high school and college, they have stuck around through all my mood swings and changes and I did the same for them.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My closest friends are the ones I grew up with. I can count them all on one hand and that's fine by me. I lost a dear one last year, and I still miss him. As I get older my circle of friends gets smaller, and I get more selective about who I call a friend.

I remember my grandfather saying, if you have one person you can call a true friend at the end of your life, you have many.
That's so true.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,372,847 times
most of my friends are from my childhood, youth

it is v.hard to make friends in my 30's

Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
It was difficult for me to keep in touch with my childhood friends when I left Ukraine because at that time, the main way of communicating was through writing letters. We didn't have Facebook or other networking sites to keep in touch. A close friend of mine immigrated to Brooklyn almost at the same time as me and we originally lost touch almost immediately after moving.

Fast forward 15 years later, I found so many of my childhood friends online just to see how different we are. Their lives there is nothing like my life here and although we keep in touch, what keeps us being friends are just childhood memories.
However, a friend who moved to Brooklyn with me and with whom I lost touch with found me when I turned 25 and she ended up being such a good close friend of mine.

Ironically, the closest friends I have now are the ones I've met in high school and college, they have stuck around through all my mood swings and changes and I did the same for them.
Max's Mama, although it's great to still be friends w/ people we befriended in childhood, it often doesn't happen because we end up very different as adults. It happens w/ people we knew in high school and college. But, those from childhood - if they grow up in areas different from ours (such as in your case - individuals who remained in the Ukraine vs. you, who came to Brooklyn)... we change, and often, dramatically.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Other than those two, there is no one else I've remained in contact with over the years. I tend to be a solo flyer and make new friends as I go along. Sometimes I keep them a long time, other times they are just like ships passing in the night but that's how I've always been.

Over the years as I've gotten older, more mature and more sensible, i realize that friends will come and go, it's easier now for me to pick out good people that I want in my life and for those people, I make the time. But, I also choose friends who aren't needy and don't take over my life. It's a win-win LOL
Very true, Andrea. People will come and go no matter what.

10 years ago I went through a major change in my life, one of the most significant events in my entire life. Before that change happened, I was already mourning how adult life meant our dear ones won't always be near us - the painful realization that all the people we want near us all the time almost never will be that nearby.

And, those we deem our best friends sometimes change - and they drift away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships