Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM

530 posts, read 902,616 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been discussed so I apologize before hand if it has. This has become a real issue for me. I don't have a facebook. Didn't have a myspace either & my family & friends insist on posting family pictures on facebook. This past summer we were at a reunion and everyone was taking pictures. I didn't even want to take pictures because I don't want to be on facebook. If I did, I'd have my own. What do these jerks do...picture & post!! So here it goes...we're going to be the first family in court for invasion of privacy. I'm not opposed to them being on facebook. I just don't want to be on there. Does anyone else feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Are you in the witness protection program?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed so I apologize before hand if it has. This has become a real issue for me. I don't have a facebook. Didn't have a myspace either & my family & friends insist on posting family pictures on facebook. This past summer we were at a reunion and everyone was taking pictures. I didn't even want to take pictures because I don't want to be on facebook. If I did, I'd have my own. What do these jerks do...picture & post!! So here it goes...we're going to be the first family in court for invasion of privacy. I'm not opposed to them being on facebook. I just don't want to be on there. Does anyone else feel like this?
What's wrong with asking them to remove the photo?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Roger that.

Many value their privacy...and find it aggravating and offensive that some, family members especially, don't understand this, or care.

If I wanted to be on FaceBrag, I'd have my own account...

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
I understand your beef. I am fairly paranoid with my name and image online. Facebook, though, is much safer than other sites. I have a Facebook page because so many people nagged me to get one. My settings are set that only my friends can view my page and pics.

But people used to post my name and image on MySpace and YouTube and that irked me. In these cases I simply asked my friends to take them down. They thought I was paranoid but complief.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
...we're going to be the first family in court for invasion of privacy.
Really? Over your picture? Do you have your social security number tattooed on your forehead? I bet your photo is already on the internet in other places, along with plenty of other personal info. There are plenty of much easier targets who are willing to reveal the most personal details of their life. The chances of you being targeted over the other 500 million facebook users is pretty slim.

Last edited by Retroit; 09-20-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,594,394 times
There are tracking programs that put together information with your name and internet use. It is rather alarming. I looked up my name and somehow they knew I had a pool, my age, income, and had pictures that were posted on FB. Once you put it on the internet it's there. This information was collected from different sources and was linked with my name.

I have one person in my family who puts every picture up on FB. I only put a few pictures up and actually since I saw that there are collecting agencies that put together information with your name I have stopped posting pictures on FB.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Yes, ChessieMom is right on. I'd just ask them to remove your photo. Simply tell them you are not comfortable with your photo on line and would appreciate it if they would remove it. Even if it's a large family photo - a little photo shop goes along way - even a little fuzzy dot will do.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
There are tracking programs that put together information with your name and internet use. It is rather alarming. I looked up my name and somehow they knew I had a pool, my age, income, and had pictures that were posted on FB. Once you put it on the internet it's there. This information was collected from different sources and was linked with my name.
What program are you talking about? A free program? I haven't come across any info on income so far...

I know in Sweden you can freely see everybody's tax returns. That's something else!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:37 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
There is a way to prevent anyone from tagging you in a photo in the privacy settings. Ask the person to remove the photos and then set your privacy settings accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships