Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Thats when you speak up and say,"I`m doing great! My child (Billy) has had a cold the past few days that we are nursing back to health"..thanks for asking!
^^ And how is that response conversation-worthy? Do you really think that any non-family member or woman who doesn't have any kids at all is going to care that your son Billy is having a cold? I'd say that most men and most anyone who doesn't have kids is NOT going to want to hear about your sick child or how you are taking care of that sick child.

But in regards to the original post, yes, I have two female co-workers at work who are narcissistic conversation hogs. One is married, the other not. Both are attention seekers who think that we, and particularly the guys, want to hear the details of their boring lives. And they also think that the louder and sassier they talk, the more successfully flirtatious they are being. And on their days off, the rest of us enjoy the quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The person is lonely, insecure, and empty inside.
Yeah, well.. you hold his hand then.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:58 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
I'm the original poster and I'm happy to say that dinner was THE LAST time I ever shared a meal, or had any social dealings at all, with that convo hog. We've not socialized since. I'm not mad or angry though...I was simply done. I think she feels the same way because I was so obviously frustrated at that meal.

I still occasionally see the other narcissist, who is definitely a "topper" (great term, btw). I just lost my job, and she has been out of work for the last 7 months and is pleading financial ruin, while eating out at least 5 times a week, dropping $50 - $100 on nice dinners, with beaucoup bucks in the bank and in her investment portfolio. She has at least a million and is in no way close to 'financial ruin.'

I was feeling particularly sad and emailed her about it saying "I'm feeling like a failure in my career." Her response? "My WHOLE LIFE is a failure, be glad only your career is kaflooey." Okay you win.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm the original poster and I'm happy to say that dinner was THE LAST time I ever shared a meal, or had any social dealings at all, with that convo hog. We've not socialized since. I'm not mad or angry though...I was simply done. I think she feels the same way because I was so obviously frustrated at that meal.

I still occasionally see the other narcissist, who is definitely a "topper" (great term, btw). I just lost my job, and she has been out of work for the last 7 months and is pleading financial ruin, while eating out at least 5 times a week, dropping $50 - $100 on nice dinners, with beaucoup bucks in the bank and in her investment portfolio. She has at least a million and is in no way close to 'financial ruin.'

I was feeling particularly sad and emailed her about it saying "I'm feeling like a failure in my career." Her response? "My WHOLE LIFE is a failure, be glad only your career is kaflooey." Okay you win.
Yes the "one uppers"; a sad lot to be sure....seems they lacked attention or validation as kids so they are always looking for someone to pin a blue ribbon on their chest that reads "biggest, best, worst, saddest, richest, tallest, fasted, smartest....." you get the picture....

I feel sorry for them on two counts: 1) they can not move past themselves and 2) they chase people away in droves which probably accounts for even desperate behavior when we come across them....

So I try and big a good person and listen as long as I can, not always easy.....

Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM

I agree on the 'chase people away' bit. After that response I realized I am not going to get any support from her. She HAS TO one-up everything in terms of failure or level of anxiety or whatever. She said there are NO JOBS in her field and no one will hire her. Then she starts talking about 4 different interview opportunities she's currently in. Wha??? I said "I thought you said there are no jobs and you cannot get hired?"

Welll... she says she's "too old and now has to erase the last 15 yrs of her extensive CV to appear younger and less experienced." She's 57 and I explained that only the last 10 to 15 yrs are considered relevant to a new employer with much younger hiring managers, no matter how fabulous that experience 20 yrs ago was. I'm going through that as well, though I'm 8 yrs younger.

She'll land at a new high-paying contract--she always does, and she'll continue to complain about how she's only making $75/hr when she 'should be' making twice that amount, and she will retain her status as the biggest victim ever, while eating out at expensive restaurants, buying endless clothes & shoes, fixing up her house, and still have not gone through her 'rainy day funds' to even touch her actual savings.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I have an intuition that you are the one who gets your hand held and are the quickest to point fingers at others who need help to deflect your own ways. Red herring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Yeah, well.. you hold his hand then.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Are the people you speak of "quality people"??? If not who cares if they are "scared away"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I agree on the 'chase people away' bit. After that response I realized I am not going to get any support from her. She HAS TO one-up everything in terms of failure or level of anxiety or whatever. She said there are NO JOBS in her field and no one will hire her. Then she starts talking about 4 different interview opportunities she's currently in. Wha??? I said "I thought you said there are no jobs and you cannot get hired?"

Welll... she says she's "too old and now has to erase the last 15 yrs of her extensive CV to appear younger and less experienced." She's 57 and I explained that only the last 10 to 15 yrs are considered relevant to a new employer with much younger hiring managers, no matter how fabulous that experience 20 yrs ago was. I'm going through that as well, though I'm 8 yrs younger.

She'll land at a new high-paying contract--she always does, and she'll continue to complain about how she's only making $75/hr when she 'should be' making twice that amount, and she will retain her status as the biggest victim ever, while eating out at expensive restaurants, buying endless clothes & shoes, fixing up her house, and still have not gone through her 'rainy day funds' to even touch her actual savings.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,220 times
A coworker is sooo bitter, she has turned into this creature. All her stories are sad. Her pitiful life and I can't find a man.

You tell her about your story...she'll listen. She'll say, okay, then back to her and her tales.

My girlfriend has continued the friendship. Whenever we go out my question is -- is Stephanie coming. If so, I'm staying home.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I have an intuition that you are the one who gets your hand held and are the quickest to point fingers at others who need help to deflect your own ways. Red herring?
No. You are the one that made all those posts about not having any friends... if anyone in this thread has issues with socializing, it's YOU.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Quality People? I see good qualities in most people I have socialized with. It is only over time...sometimes a long time...that you see these other traits that can get in the way. None of the narci/convo hogs are cruel or mean and they are kind to animals <g>. They have good hearts and are decent, tax-paying, upstanding citizens.

But one comes to find there is no reciprocity in conversations with this type of person. No sharing of stories--just monologues or one-upmanship, neither of which are conducive to building a deeper, mutually-supportive friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships