Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

346 posts, read 967,738 times

Advertisements

It's not a huge problem, but it's a nagging doubt at the least.

I've been dating my girlfriend for about 3 months or so, just made it "official" (via facebook of course, haha) a couple of weeks ago. One thing that's come out during our conversations is that I don't have any friends. We've never discussed it before, but she definitely knows. Every time she talks about all her friends I never have any similar experiences to relate to it. She asked me once if I had a best friend and I became very sad (said "no") and she quickly changed the subject.

She really does like me, and I really like her, but I just feel bad that I have no friends. She knows that if she goes out with her friends that I'm most likely going to be sitting at home alone. I don't mind, but I don't want her to feel bad about it.

Am I making too big a deal about it? Would you be concerned if your significant other had no friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Why do you have no friends? What are your circumstances right now?

I would be concerned, because it's not very healthy. You need relationships outside of your SO, for your benefit, not just hers.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Join a fishing club, car club or a bowling league, etc. You will make some friends.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Perhaps she could introuduce you to some of her friends, for you to make friends?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Stop thinking so much.... and don't sweat the small shyt.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post

Am I making too big a deal about it? Would you be concerned if your significant other had no friends?

I wouldn't be overly concerned if my b/f had no friends.Why sweat the small stuff.Maybe she'll introduce you to some of her friends.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
A warning sign - and this goes for both sexes - is does this person have friends? It's a red flag, of sorts. Maybe you're an introvert, but no friends at all? Are you close to your family? If so, I wouldn't be concerned about the no friends issue.

I personally ended a lot of friendships in the last six months over my dad's death. And right now I don't feel like talking to too many people. But I know I will at some point.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaackko View Post

I've been dating my girlfriend for about 3 months or so, just made it "official" (via facebook of course, haha) a couple of weeks ago. One thing that's come out during our conversations is that I don't have any friends. We've never discussed it before, but she definitely knows. Every time she talks about all her friends I never have any similar experiences to relate to it. She asked me once if I had a best friend and I became very sad (said "no") and she quickly changed the subject.

She really does like me, and I really like her, but I just feel bad that I have no friends. She knows that if she goes out with her friends that I'm most likely going to be sitting at home alone. I don't mind, but I don't want her to feel bad about it.

I have two friends but they both live over 1000 miles away. I have no near by friends and like it that way. My dh is my best friend and the only other companionship I need. I get enough of "people" at work to last me a long, long time. I have no desire to spend time with others during my off duty hours.

My dh is much the same. He has acquaintances, but I certainly would not call them friends.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. If you think that she will have concerns, then you need to discuss itwith her.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Why do you have no friends? What are your circumstances right now?

I would be concerned, because it's not very healthy. You need relationships outside of your SO, for your benefit, not just hers.
I'm 24, live on my own in a condo I bought a few months ago. I've always lived within a few miles of where I live now.

I've just never made friends with people. The only reason I've been able to have my ex-girlfriend and this current girlfriend is that (and I don't say this to brag) they like the way I look. Maybe something about me otherwise is appealing, but I don't see it. I had groups I hung out with in HS and College but never got invited anywhere or even heard about them doing things with each other. Though they did. I think there's just something about me that people must not like.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Perhaps she could introuduce you to some of her friends, for you to make friends?

The ones I've met (her two best friends) don't really seem to like me.

She's on the rocks with all her guy friends because of me. They are all friends with her ex (who she doesn't like at all but still wants to be with her) and my being her boyfriend (as well as other things too) has strained their friendship with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships