Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
In my opinion, our society started downhill when women entered the workforce. As a result, it now takes two incomes to have a normal standard of living instead of one as formerly. The real down side is that there is no one to raise our children at home, so they are raised by Godless public schools, television, and other parentless kids. We now have the results in aces, and our society is disintegrating. We have young people who don't know right from wrong because no one has taught them. They question all authority and respect nothing. They are now and have been taking their places as leaders of our nation. God help us.
I actually don't agree that women entering the workforce = needing two incomes to support a family.
I think it's more like desire for a Mcmansion, new car and flat screen TV amongst other things which has led to the two income necessity to get by.
I also happen to think that religion and schools SHOULD be seperated, so I don't see that as a bad thing either.

I think working Moms are great, for some being a good working role model can be the best thing they could do for their kids. I also think that SAHM have made a valuable choice for their kids and do a job that is worth at least that of someone in the work force.

This isn't about 'society going down hill because women entered the workforce' at all. It's about the different choices people make for their children. There is no right or wrong answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ouch, this thread has hit close to home!

Dh and I have always made similar incomes, right up until last year. He did go through 6 months of unemployment where I paid for pretty much everything.

Late in 2007 we moved for DHs job. Then he didn't like where we moved to so we moved again. Each time I have had to restart my career, and right now it's not going well. I've gone from a great income (which admittedly mostly went into savings and the house we were renovating at the time (now sold).

I am self employed and really enjoy what I do. But I'm not making any money at it now, while at the same time having to pass off my other clients and referrals who call me to other people. it's disappointing.
We are financially very comfortable in that we have all our 'house money' in the bank waiting until we decide to buy again, and DH makes a great salary. No debt, no car payments, etc. BUT this month what with Christmas, going out for holiday meals with people, having to put new tires on the car and paying this years fees for my work (well over $1000), we are tight on expendable income. So tight that we might have to borrow from our 'house account' for the first time.

This would not be a problem if I was making money, but I now haven't made any money worth getting excited about for over a year. How long do I let this continue? Do I hope my business will take off again in this awful market, or do I suck it up and get a job?

To clairfy, I am doing by far the majority of house work and cooking now, just as DH did when he was laid off - but I feel like I am no longer contributing financially and it makes me feel bad.
DH is very supportive - he knows that I wouldn't be in this position if we hadn't moved for his job, and overall I am very happy with where we have moved to. I love it here and don't regret moving apart from this aspect. But I'm basically the equivalent of a 'kept wife' because I'm not producing any bacon.

What would you do? Keep plugging away at the thing you like and hope you get back to where you were (or close to it)? Or suck it up and get a job, which will probably pay a lot less than I was making before, but is at least contributing somethng and is steady income.
Thoughts??
If it were me, and remember, I am not you...I would go get a job to help tide me over and then when my business picked up, I'd quit. But, that's just me? I have worked all my life, (since 13) and I do like to work, although some jobs were the pits...but your not at all the kind of spouse I'm referring to.

good Luck, hope things to pick up soon.

Creme

Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If it were me, and remember, I am not you...I would go get a job to help tide me over and then when my business picked up, I'd quit. But, that's just me? I have worked all my life, (since 13) and I do like to work, although some jobs were the pits...but your not at all the kind of spouse I'm referring to.

good Luck, hope things to pick up soon.

Creme
Thanks, I know I'm not - but I've worked since I was quite young too - around 15, and all through college. My Mother always told me never to depend on anyone else for money.
The trouble is that if I do something else, by default my current business won't pick up. Plus I'll be back to working for someone again. Sigh.
Still, I'm not only not bringing in the cash I want to, but I'm also getting bored, so I think it may be the right course of action however much I want to resist it.

May be time to get down to job hunting. Yikes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships