Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:49 AM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,599 times

Advertisements

I'm not thinking Rance (or any other poster) has incurred anyone's "wrath" on this thread. It was not even intimated that his response was "not politically correct", Rance is taking this too personally...the original statement was how his mantra didn't match his post's feelings. It didn't ~ just an observation ~ obviously Rance personalized this to mean his feelings are discredited. Misinterpreted totally.
My personal response to the post runs exactly as numerous others have already stated (Sunflower, Lisa-f-D, SandyCo, Zippy, Dancing Earth, etc. etc.) I just didn't need to hear myself repeat all the good responses, so I didn't...but since you asked...I would be disappointed if my child were to claim that orientation, but in no way would it affect my feelings for him/her. I'd be most concerned about the obstacles/discrimination they'd encounter in life, I wouldn't want them hurt, just bec they want to love someone.
So, Lance, it's not about your feelings, it was about your mantra...again, please don't make more of this than it is. God Bless ~ MsV

Last edited by MsV; 07-14-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
I'd embrace my child. Going through so much uncertainty has got to be hard enough, without the added stress of knowing that your own family does not support you. In my heart I know I'd tell him that I love him, and would respect his decision. I'd always be there for him.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:48 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'd embrace my child. Going through so much uncertainty has got to be hard enough, without the added stress of knowing that your own family does not support you. In my heart I know I'd tell him that I love him, and would respect his decision. I'd always be there for him.
Absolutely agree with you......absolutely. And pray that s/he finds love and happiness, which is all we really want for our kids anyway.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 24,321 times
Hmm, what would be the raw emotion I would feel? Well, difficult to say on such a subject. However, I do believe the most likely emotions is merely spacing out and perhaps an intense desire to be somewhere else.

I have a calm persona (or at least I have the perspective that I do) and I think it's highly unlikely that I would explode, but I also would not be very accepting either, unfortunately. Of course, the choice is ultimately the child's and I doubt my feelings on the matter would affect anything.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatical View Post
Hmm, what would be the raw emotion I would feel? Well, difficult to say on such a subject. However, I do believe the most likely emotions is merely spacing out and perhaps an intense desire to be somewhere else.

I have a calm persona (or at least I have the perspective that I do) and I think it's highly unlikely that I would explode, but I also would not be very accepting either, unfortunately. Of course, the choice is ultimately the child's and I doubt my feelings on the matter would affect anything.
I can identify with wanting to run away as well - but as you said, the choice really isn't ours to make....and therefore I would just accept and move on. After a bout with cancer, I've finally figured out what's mine to handle and what isn't - and someone else's choices generally don't fit into my Control category. I would be a little sad, gotta admit, just on the "life will be a little harder for you".....but since I adore my kids I would just suck it up and know they can make their own life choices and hope that any relationship they find themselves in is loaded with love and respect and contentment.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
I would say that my parents were upset when I told them, they did not criticize me but I could tell they were dissapointed. I did my best to educate them and that I DID NOT choose to be this way (so many people think its a choice for some reason) but thats how I was made. The more I explained it to them the more understanding they became. Im so lucky to have such a loving and undertanding family!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I wouldn't be to happy thats for sure.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:33 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
Default Complete and utter shock....

It would take me awhile to take in all the information. I would not scream, say I never want to see you again or anything like that. I would say are you sure??? Several times. I probably would cry. Think what I did wrong, because I have had several gay friends. All of which have died to Aids. The gay friends I have had have all told me the same thing "being gay is lonley." I believe this to be true. I would cry for the pain of not having grandchildren from him, of his loneliness and it is hard enough to find a good wife. I would think it is even harder to find a good male companion. In the end I would accept my son no matter what but I would be sad and hurt and would always pray that his feelings would change.

I had three very good male friends all of which would spend holidays with my family and it would pain me to se them so sad at times and lonley. I would not want this for either of my sons.

IM READY FOR ALL THE ATTACKS BACK FROM ALL THE POLITICALLY CORRECT PEOPLE.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,861 times
Default For the record....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
As I mentioned I don't know any gay people. Don't know anything about it. Don't understand it period. But you don't see me running around bashing anyone about it. To each their own. I tend not to stick my nose in anyone else's business and have yet to get it broken! I also don't think I was belligerant in my comment. I simply answered the question. I "would" freak out if my kids told me that. I'm not gonna lie or paint some pretty picture. Just giving an honest answer as I think the thread creator wanted. And if you think because of my feelings... I need to delete my mantra...I'll do that for ya. Cool?
I LOVED your mantra and thought it suited you perfectly. Thats what I love about you straight forward, to the point, humble and always honest. Dont let anyone second guess that.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Well.

First: Rance, I like your new mantra and I think it gives me plenty of room to keep eating all the "bad" stuff. All sorts of things start to happen the older you get so I'd rather enjoy my time here as best as I can.

Second: I read here how parents would be hurt, disappointed, supportive, would still love their kids, etc. I think we should gang up on SWB's parents!

You know, there are worse things in life than being gay and gay people are not the only ones who encounter discrimination, attitudes, funny looks, etc.

I agree with the poster from NY who said they would even consider moving to a "friendlier" area. I like that thinking. There may be discrimination against, blacks, hispanics, northerners, southerners, gay, fat, short, anywhere so the best bet would be to find a place where you would feel happy and accepted. Nobody likes to be constantly rejected, so why deal with that on purpose?

Sometimes I listen to the Spanish radio on my way to work and they have these "themes" and people call in with their opinions. It is just absolutely disgusting what Spanish fathers say they would do if their son or daughter was gay. What about those marriages where one parent knows (usually the mother) and the other doesn't? Why is that? Because the mother is petrified of how the father will react. I think that's sick. You not only have the gay child/adult going through hell but the marriage too because of someone's macho attitude. This stuff really bothers me. Why can't people just live and let live?

Hetero partnerships are not all they're cracked up to be either and many cannot have children of their own so, you're here to try to make the best of your time on this earth. Be good, be honest, be caring, and to those who don't like your sexual orientation, your weight, your skin color, your language, your hair, they'll either get over it or they won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships